Wittners have reopened their shop

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:53 pm

After considerably longer than was first stated, I have noticed that Wittners have reopened their shop again, probably after moving to different premises as was originally announced.

I notice all of the parts they stocked are still there so far as I have seen and for Beaulieu machines there are even two new parts added although I cannot imagine that the originals of these two parts would ever wear beyond serviceable levels. Still, it is nice as always to know that they are there if we ever needed any.

The new parts listed are stock numbers PC 16046 & PC 16047

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Martin Dew
Andrew Woodcock

RE: Wittners have reopened their shop

#2 by Martin Dew , Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks, Andrew. I was coincidentally on the Wittners site today because I'm looking for a 16mm or 8mm clamped roller to fit onto my Super 8 PJ spool arms. I know Van-Eck sells a ready-made 3D print version, but it's quite pricey.

Wittner does have rollers, but not clamps. Do you have any ideas as to how I can improvise this at home, or do you or anyone here on the forum have ready made ones they could sell to me?

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#3 by Maurice Leakey , Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Beaulieu 708 EL Replacement sprocket (on shaft), priced @ 297.50 €, including tax. WOW
http://www.wittnercinetec.com/epages/Wit...ice&OrderDesc=0

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:49 pm

hiya Martin, sorry mate I've only just seen your question to me here thanks.

I'd have to look at the type you've seen on Edwin's site and see how much he is charging for them to see if there is anything I could think of or offer as a service to beat this price.

Without looking though, I've always found Edwin's prices to be fairly realistic and doable compared overall to those of Wittner's lets say.

Martin Dew sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:54 pm

To Maurice, these latest spare parts are hugely expensive but they have been manufactured recently I believe to original specification and as we all know, machining man hours time is costly these days even if that ever wasn't the case?

No Turner or Miller in this country now will charge less than around £30 -£40 per hour for his skills.
If you go through the official channels with larger engineering companies, you are talking much much more.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 pm | Top

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:37 pm

I have just been reading your post there Martin on the film tech forum regarding the part you are seeking.

I see Bruno recommended the one from Van Eck for your own personal requirements and to be honest, I doubt I could come up with an alternative for less than 69 euros that would offer you a professional and flexible solution in the manner this one from Edwin's team would

I know everything seems darned expensive in this hobby now, but most of the time a lot of this is simply down to tiny batch quantities made now for any components in this day and age.

Often, parts like this are one offs and are made to order. While a similar clamp arrangement could be fashioned no doubt from cheaper "off the shelf" alternatives, you've still then got to source or manufacture a roller and it probably
Would never be quite as suitable and serviceable as this one of Edwins.

Andrew Woodcock

#7 by Martin Dew , Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:29 am

Yes, good points Andrew. I guess the reason Edwin started making them was because there were enough people in my situation to make it viable!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:32 am

Very true Martin, very true!

Edwin offers a great service in my opinion and he pitches it just about right. He offers parts that many cine users need and desire and he offers them at realistic and reachable amounts. Not cheap, but then nothing decent in this hobby ever has been, even when produced en masse!

For me, I think Bruno advised you well here Martin!

Martin Dew likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:33 am | Top

#9 by Philip Murat , Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi Andrew,

I assume the sprocket proposed are genuine Beaulieu items .

From my side , I never make plain "aluminium" sprocket wheel as Beaulieu maked in the past (fortunately, sprockets teeth are not supposed to wear a lot as efforts applied are very, very low....) .
I assume the best way typical design is the "Elmo" solution (or Heurtier and many others one, etc.....) .

A 2 parts sprocket is easier to make and allow to use extra hard steel (or stainless steel) material for the gear itself.
Now, this wheel could be easily cut using a "laser precision machine" as the thickness is low (around 1 mm) and in any kind of hard material .

This is an other (exciting) chalenge.....

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

Last edited 10.12.2017 | Top

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Yes they are Phil.

I'm sorry Phil, but for much of the rest, I am not sure I fully understand the points you make here sorry.

From what I can understand, I agree with you in so much as I don't see any good reason why the original ones would ever suffer with wear to the point that they would need replacing.
They do very little actual work with very little strain ever applied to the teeth if the machine is used properly.

I can visibly see no signs whatsoever of any wear on either of the four I have on my two machines and no doubt these have now seen many many thousands of hours of use by now between the two of them.

I can't see myself ever needing even one of these particular spares from Wittners, but I suppose you never know in life and its good to know at least, that they're here if anybody should ever need one or two I suppose.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 pm | Top

#11 by Philip Murat , Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Yes Andrew, I miss something in translating from French to English......

In summary, If it is necessary to clone this part, I suggest from far to make a 2 parts sprocket instead of a single "solid" (plain ???) one from aluminium.
It should be very less expensive, even this is not abvious at a first glance.

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Ah ok then Phil. Thanks for that. ;))

Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
For A Thirsty Projectionist

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0