RE: My last dealing with CHC

#26 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:01 pm

It still makes me not want to buy from him anymore. Last few purchases has been poor quality too, the Disney's a few months back. He has NEVER answered my emails if I had more than one question in it. I still have a feeling he do not like me, but as said, not sure why (perhaps when I complained he did not reply to my questions)

I rather check Bert, Barry, Paul, Nigel and Steve for items. Gotten to a point where I need to sell stuff anyway, I think. No more room and I constantly nauseous because I feel overwhelmed

Collector in me scream NOOOOO, NOT SELL ANYTHING, but I think downsizing is the only option. Got around 2000 films now I think

The following members like this: David Alligan, John Armer and Del Phillipson

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#27 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:08 pm

2000 is an awful lot to both store, enjoy anything like regularly, as well as look after.
2000 is around 1500 more than I'd be comfortable with personally and for me, it's a fine line between being a lover and user of film and having a hoarding disorder if anyone isn't able to actually find the necessary time to enjoy these things for as they were intended.

As for your decision with CHC Vidar, I understand fully the points you make and whilever we have land and sea between buyer and seller, communication is paramount in importance terms regarding our trust with any deal.

I used to have thousands upon thousands of vinyl records. They tended to last between 3 and 7 minutes on average, but even then one half hardly ever saw daylight. I have since whittled the collection down to around 1500 just for when I fancy a session with them but even this is probably too many for the time I can allocate to them while ever I have to work for a living.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, John Armer, Del Phillipson and David Alligan
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:29 pm | Top

#28 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Mind you, it is not 2000 features, lots of 50', 200' and 400' too. Around 300 features perhaps. And yes, it is getting more difficult to enjoy them all. Just have to kick my collector ass a bit more to make him see, it is necessary

:-)

The following members like this: John Armer and Mats Abelli

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#29 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:44 pm

It is many years since I purchased a film by mail order from Classic so my comments may not now apply since Phil moved his shop premises.

The problem was stock control, or lack of it. Films were not kept in the shop but in a warehouse. No one in the shop (Phil or Denise) would know offhand whether a film was still available, or not. Phil (usually) would have to go to the warehouse and physically check the shelves to see whether the film was still there, and available for sale.

I believe it wasn't a daily visit. Therefore, a person ordering by telephone didn't know if he was lucky or not!

The web-site sales listings were often way out of date which was also a problem.

I am sure that we all know that Phil has ben unwell for quite some time now so we must be grateful that he is still in business.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#30 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Blimy Vidar, i struggle to look after ours and we have around a total of 443 super 8 films, 200,400,600s,800s and features, 6 x 16mm features,(& rising), 6 x 16mm TV shows & 119 Ads,trailers and promo's. Thats a total of 574. It all takes a lot of care in order to make sure they all dont get any problems in storage and of course ensuring they are all cleaned with Filmguard.

I have to say we have sold in the past and continue to do so in order to buy new but i have indeed sold a few i wish i hadn't.
We have now made a deal with eachother, (it'l be hard), NOT to buy for the sake of it, Quality NOT quantity, and to now raise some cash, all donation accepted, in order to make sure we attend next years Blackpool convention, it give us plenty of time to raise a decent amount of dosh via ebay, (& not just cine films), The only reason we cant go this year is because we are booked for Florida for two weeks so it has drained me a bit now. (& still have the stress that my Wife wont go due to her Mum being quite ill, it is all very stressful at the moment).

So Vidar, if,(& only if), you wish to sell any features, 8 or 16, please do let me know. I will be hoping to build the 16mm collection to a maximum of 15/20 tops.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#31 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:34 pm

It is a shame that Vidar has had a bad experience with CHC,but he is not alone i no longer receive there magazine nor the lists I signed up to have they just stopped comming and when i tried to buy a film It was availble and within thirty seconds it was not.Anyway that was a while ago so I no longer bother.
Its no wonder theres no films about Vidar has them all........
I do think its a good idea to advise the users of this site of the problems one has occasionally,but also praise where praise is due as there are a lot of great people out there who do provide an excellent service without whom this hobby would not be sustainable.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, John Armer, Eivind Mork, Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#32 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Tom, all I can say is have a great time in Florida, it's a dream holiday and nothing less than you deserve. It is a great shame that your good lady isn't able to make the trip with you all but we of all people here, fully understand the strain and commitment she surely feels, and wishes to provide.

We had a dreadful year last year through close family terminal illness and it was extremely stressful for all involved to watch and be part of.
Your wife, yourself and your family as a whole, has our sincerest warm wishes for better health and blessings to all of you during this time. God bless.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Eivind Mork, Del Phillipson and Mats Abelli
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#33 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks Andy, we shall know nearer the time if she can come with us, its all booked and paid for so i am hoping so. I know she wants to go very much.

Del Phillipson likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#34 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:05 pm

I hope so too Tom. She'll need the break and escapism no doubt.

Del Phillipson likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#35 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Vidar "I did not get The Exorcist, but blood pressure could be affected by poor customer service" I have visions of your head just spinning round.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#36 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Ha, ha. Blood pressure 129/80, so not worried. Not angry either, just disappointed by being promised a film, to be lied to and not getting it

My loss? His loss? I do not know, butif I do not readhis list, I do not know what I miss, no problem

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#37 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:30 pm

It is very frustrating Vidar,
i will add that generally i dont ever have a problem with Phil, if i reserve i do get, the last list did have three on it i wanted, i reserved them only to ring back and pay for them but told they were sold.
I could be wrong but i do know he has had a new person temporarily helping and i think somewhere along the line one was saying yes because they wernt crossed off the list but it was an in between thing if you know what i mean.
One was taking calls but not too sure what to do and the other was packing but also assuming they had been crossed off.

Tim. if your reading this i'll make you laugh, that poltergeist print your bought????
For once i was the first person to ring Saturday AM, i enquired about it because i knew there was an error on the list and i thought it should have read 4 x 600ft. It wasn't sold & i said i'll ring back in 5, I didn't know whether to take a gamble at that price and hope it was a derann LPP print, in which case i would have sold my Red Fox one, (even though theirs sod all wrong with mine, in fact it is A1), or perhaps as you thought, it may have been incomplete, (this is why dealers need to check what they are selling when it comes to big titles),
Anyway, i thought yeah lets have gamble, i rang back & You had beaten me to it. Fortunatly for me it turned out to be, as you said, the Red fox print re-edited. Phewww

The following members like this: John Armer and Vidar Olavesen

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#38 by John Armer , Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:36 pm

I think it was me that got that print, Tom.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
John Armer  
John Armer
Date registered 11.19.2016
ThankYou 18

#39 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:49 pm

You are correct there John, where did i get Tim from

John Armer likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#40 by Dave Guest , Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:21 pm

don't forget to book your weekend at blackpool in novemeber ask for Julie Vincent at the Hilton hotel where there will be 1000s of super 8 films and 16mm all for sale and can be viewed before you buy no ringing up see what you buy at much cheeper prices

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#41 by Alan Rik , Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 am

He must not like me either! :)
When I emailed about "Poltergeist" Flat. He replied, "Too late". Nice.
Then a few years back I inquired about a Fumeo 9119 for sale. He said it would only work on 220V. I said I understood that and I have a convertor for the voltage difference.
No reply. I sent a 2nd email. No reply.
I have never purchased anything from him and most likely never will.
I'll stick to Ian, Foster, and the Forums.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and David Alligan
Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

#42 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:17 am

Since he says 220V, does it mean you are in the US? Then Steve Osborne should be on your good trader list.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#43 by Alan Rik , Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Steve is on my GREAT trader list. Great customer service, he sends out the film immediately even before receiving payment, great prices, yes. He is one of the best around.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Martin Dew, Greg Perry and Michael Lattavo
Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

#44 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:09 pm

Shame there isn't a Steve then in every country then based on what's just been said! Though I have to say, Ian has been more than fair with me on countless occasions.

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 pm | Top

#45 by Tom Photiou , Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:17 pm

Alan, i will back that up 100%. My first, (shamefully years too late) dealing with Steve was when i bought my Grease feature. A forum member put me onto him when i was hunting this title down. I put out my request, as this was my first sale i paid $200 (which back then was around 160£, the film arrived with lots of magazines and leaflets, mounted on 2 x 1200ft spools and re recorded in stereo by its previous owner, since that first purchase the few films i have bought from Steve have been sent with an invoice, suffice to say i pay on the day i get the goods. The trust works both ways, the only downside is the shipping from the US can be a little high.

Have i told anyone i'm after Silence of the lambs

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 08.10.2017 | Top

#46 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:24 pm

That is why I want Steve to become a Norwegian, but I probably go totally broke
:-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#47 by Dave Guest , Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:00 am

I have sent films off to some forum members before they even have paid me and I will put films aside or you can pay over 3 months

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Mats Abelli, Gwyn Morgan and David Alligan

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#48 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:12 am

I just think it's great all around to hear stories not only of the negative experiences with the global dealers left in film but also the positive ones where clearly there is a rapport and trust between dealer and seller when a film of considerable value can be sent hundreds or thousands of miles without any kind of payment being made at the outset.

Hats off to dealers and private sellers alike, when there is sufficient trust to know nobody is trying to " pull a fast one" over anybody genuine remaining in the hobby! Very credible activity all around!!

I think the only reason i have never bothered trying to deal with Mr Osborne at The Reel Image in the US is only because I know sometimes communication can be somewhat difficult as I believe Steve is very "Old School" regarding global communication and things can often take quite some time apparently if you're expecting a swift reply to a particular enquiry.
With over 4500 miles separating our nations, I have no doubt this at times could prove somewhat frustrating.

No more so than Alan's experiences though it has to be said and that is with good communication methods apparently!

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Gwyn Morgan, David Alligan and Stuart Reid
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:35 am | Top

#49 by David Roberts , Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:12 pm

Tom,
when you purchased "Grease" from Steve Osborne,did you get stung for VAT and import duty?
as I understand it,anything imported from a non EU source is liable to these duties.

David Roberts  
David Roberts
Date registered 07.24.2017
ThankYou 1

#50 by Tom Photiou , Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:25 pm

I didnt on that one. It was around ten years ago now

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548