Visiting Umit & Son

#1 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 pm

I am back after a week in London. As I was there with the family and since Umit & Son was quite far away from the hotel, I had decided not to go there. But on our final day in London we visited the Epping Ongar Railway, and then we suddenly was not too far from Hackney while passing with the Underground. My wife and son was kind enough to follow me there even if they had no interest. Sorry, Tyler, I would have loved a cup of coffee as you suggested, but this was quite unplanned and since I was with my family it was just a quick peek for me. I would sure have enjoyed a coffee with a fellow forum member.

The shop isn't very big, but trust me, it is even less room to walk inside than you think! The shop is absolutely stuffed full with... things. Many projectors, and film related stuff, but also things like an old TV and other things. He has a few DVDs, but the shop is about film. It was very difficult to understand what was for sale and not, and I am still not sure if I understood it all. He seems to have a lot of personal things there as well as he says that some things are not for sale. When I asked what was for sale I was guided to two shelves that at first seemed to be at an area not meant for public. I browsed through them. It was not many features of interest for me. Maybe for others. The digest and shorts section was of more interest. A lot seemed to be things I was not too interested in. He had a few Laurel & Hardy's, but I ended up buying a 200' of Disney. The box was very nice, but I didn't look inside. Unfortunately the films showed up to be very red. The price wasn't too bad, though.

Film wise it was a bit disappointing. But what I loved about the visit was to talk to Umit himself. He was indeed a very nice man. We had a great talk (for as long as I thought I could keep my family waiting). I wish I could be there longer. both for browsing more thoroughly and to have better time to talk to Umit. There were several other customers coming and going, so maybe I didn't understand it all what he had to offer, or maybe some deals were made in advance. In any case it was nice to see that he had customers coming.

Even if you won't find too many new films, I really do recommend going there for the experience. Here are three shots I took.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Vidar Olavesen

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 404

RE: Visiting Umit & Son

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 pm

It's nice that you got a sneak peak Eivind even if it wasn't for as long as your heart would ideally desire.
Your story doesn't really surprise me if I'm honest and while the shop is an admirable reminder of a world distant past, I feel Phil's shop in Cleethorpes is probably the last true "working" cine shop of its kind.

For that journey, from where you visited, you'd have needed a full day allocated minimum.
I am pleased your journey to and from our capital went well and its great to have you back here safe and sound.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:27 pm | Top

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Glad you had time to go Umit Eivind I think if you can fit in a visit if you are nearby then go for it,but as I said after my visit I personally don't think it's now worth going to unless as I say you are nearby or possibly live in London.As you say it's not easy to work out what is ,is not for sale and when I was there the interior lighting left a lot to be desired.Still it is one of the last " film" shops and Umit is very passionate about it all but I think he may up to a point be stuck in a bit of a time warp.
Anyway hope you and your family had a great holiday 📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 270

#4 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 pm

ive never heard of this place,looks great,is there an address? how my brother who spends half his life in London has never found this is beyond me.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm surprised to hear you have never heard of Umit's place Tom. It has been highlighted here and over on Film Tech quite a number of times.

There is even a short video posted on you tube giving everyone a guided tour of his outfit and has been featured here and elsewhere before now.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#6 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 pm

The address is:
35 Lower Clapton Rd, London E5 0NS, UK
Here it is on Google Maps

Here is the mini documentary:

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 404

#7 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:42 am

Eivind, I'm glad that you were able to make it there during your trip to London. Just getting to meet and chat with a fellow collector is a great experience. :-)

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen
Tim Duncan

#8 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Cheers Elvind, how the hell have i missed all this before??? How odd!
Oh well, now we have a place to visit, i would love to go to classic one day but it is the opposite end of the country for us.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#9 by David Skillern , Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Tom,

Ive been twice and i'm in Mid Glamorgan a good 8-9 hours round trip - but well worth the visit if you can make it sometime. Also where are you staying on International Drive if you don't mind me asking - we stayed at the Avanti Resort.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Asking a favour

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor