Barry Norman

#1 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:51 am

Barry Norman died yesterday aged 83, and was a well known Movie reviewer and broadcaster here on U.K. TV screens, he was the face of the BBC's Film series for over 25 years, and was extremely knowledgeable on film of all types (his Father was a film director), and was well respected as a fine judge of film. He will be missed.

Barry Attwood

RE: Barry Norman

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:41 am

Very sad news once again despite the fact that Barry lived till a good age of 83.

I'd say he was pretty much universally liked for his film critique role here in the UK and his opinions were honest and valued by many.
Though others have tried to continue this role in more recent times none command the same universal appeal and respect at it that Barry earned for himself.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Martin Dew likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:58 am

i use to watch his TV show as often as i could.
One of the shows which stood out for me was when reviewed the British film Scum about borstal. I have no idea why it stands out but after his review i needed to see the movie and have been a fan of the film and Ray Winston ever since.
He had a way with words and anyone who took over his show killed it, especially when Michael Parkinson has a go at it.
very sad to hear of Barry Normans death.
If i remember rightly he also did a big part apart super 8 on one of his shows with our very own Mr Wilton.
Hugh Scott very kindly sent me a DVD copy of this part of this particular episode.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#4 by David Skillern , Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:33 am

He was a true gent - even got involved in the classic Morecambe and Wise routine - There is nothing like a Dame from South Pacific - I met his daughter once at Tewkesbury Roses Theatre - where she was doing a Q and A with Peter Sallis.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:44 am

Tom I have the "said" BFCC DVD of the time Super 8mm and Derann films were featured in the TV program special episode.
Keith Wilton and his two sons were featured in their home cinema during this TV special feature.
I think at that time it was Michael Parkinson hosting the show in the early 90's.

Film 94 I think it was.

Only 8 years out! 😂😂😂😂

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:43 am | Top

#6 by Martin Dew , Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:22 pm

If Barry Norman didn't like a film he didn't say much about it. If he liked it he said lots. He was just about the most spot on reviewer the industry has known.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:23 pm

All except his words regarding the late great Robin Williams I'd say Martin.

I doubt Madge or Arnie will be in attendance at his funeral either for that matter.

Overall though, I liked and respected Mr Norman's words enormously.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:26 pm | Top

#8 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:52 pm

The early programmes were London region only. One of the best of his type. Sadly he moved to sky.

(Put link to the Film 86, but its Parky)

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#9 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:17 am

I didnt hear what he said about Robin Williams Andy, can you enlighten me?

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:26 am

I cannot remember exactly Barry's quote now Tom, but basically he was highly critical of Robin Williams ability as an actor and described much of his work as sugary sweet over sentimental claptrap in a nutshell.

Of course I cannot agree when you view the entire range of Robin's work. He was a troubled eccentric its true, but at times this manic eccentricity manifested itself on screen as comedy genius imho.

He is still one of my favourites ever for his work carrying out voiceovers for animated films. He gave the character a larger than life personality that really appealed to the audience.
I loved his role in Doubtfire, One hour Photo and Good Morning Vietnam also, to name but a few off the top of my head.

David Skillern likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:29 am | Top

#11 by Paul Browning , Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:23 am

Just an update on the late Barry Norman, the radio times have issued a tribute to him with his 100 best movies, just bought this so I can't tell you more at present, suffice to say though a good read and will go alongside all the film books I have......

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:44 am

I remember reading a similar article on him in the express Paul, while on holiday recently.

There were many I completely agreed with him on, but then some years he picked nothing at all out for?
Some excellent years from the past half century or more, he picked out as many as 3 films just for one year!

I recall seeing some notable omissions from his list, epics like Ben Hur for example.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:47 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Adam West TV's 1960s series “Batman” — died Friday night

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor