When that lamp dies...

#1 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:42 am

I have 4 projectors and I have spare lamps for 3 of them (the last one isn't used too often). So in my mind I have been well prepared for any mishaps. I have had very busy times lately with little time for feature films, but on Saturday I was finally going to watch a film with my wife on the 16mm at the cabin which I was really looking forward to. 20 minutes into the film the sound went missing. The exciter lamp had died. What a fool I am that hasn't thought about getting a spare for that too, only the main lamp. I wasn't very happy to say the least (I had no other 16mm projector there). New lamps has been ordered and is on its way. Rookie mistake and very frustrating.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: When that lamp dies...

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:35 am

It's a very easy thing to overlook to be fair Eivind. I still am not 100% certain I have one for my fujicascope unless it takes the same one as my ST 1200.
Even then, if it blew in the middle of a film, which of course is highly likely as being the way it would work out, then I definitely would not just have one to hand until I went to the lockup.

The thing is, for me at least, we think of sound and soundtracks, but not necessarily associating it with light bulbs, especially if 90% of what we listen to are magnetic tracks.
It's an easy but highly annoying oversight I agree Eivind.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:50 am

Been there, done that, but luckily I had two 16-CL machines and could swap over the reels (slot loads are the best)

Eivind Mork likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:05 am

Be green and Save electricity, stick with magnetic sound!

Only joking of course!

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:42 am

Or better: Look at the film strip to the light of a window ;-)

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:58 am

Or better still, only watch silent films!

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#7 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:09 pm

I like to have (at the very least) two of each type of lamp on hand. I tend to think of worst case scenarios. Like what if that 'new-in-the-box' lamp turns out to be a dud (which I have experienced)? Then, you would still have another to replace the bad lamp with. But I would immediately order more, as I'm a bit fanatical about the lamps. :-) I'm more comfortable having three to four on hand!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork
Tim Duncan
Last edited Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:10 pm | Top

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Halogen lamps I have plenty, probably dozens to be honest dotted here, there and everywhere, it's just exciter lamps I only have a few of as I only have two machines that use them.

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#9 by Michael Lattavo , Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:34 pm

I've been in the exact same situation, its very frustrating!

Eivind Mork likes this

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#10 by Maurice Leakey , Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Andrew

Your ST1200 exciter lamp is a G29 BRS (4v 0.75a) and it will not fit in your Fujicascope SH30. This uses the G27 BRK (4v 0.75a).

Both lamps look the same and have the same skirt. The Elmo uses it upright, and the Fuji uses it on its side. Therefore, it is only the position of the filament that is different.

This situation is the same for the Bell & Howell 16mm which use the G29 (upright), and the Eiki/Elf 16mm which uses the G27 (on its side). I once got a good bargain over this confusion. A Bell & Howell TQII with very low sound (said the owner) and I got it for a song. Yes. It had the wrong lamp fitted. I refitted it with the correct G29 and the sound boomed out.

Yes, I have still got that projector!

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Cheers Maurice.

I haven't needed to change it yet but I think I have one of those horizontally mounted exciter lamps among my collection somewhere.
If memory serves me correctly, don't these also have a slightly taller glass capsule than the G29 Elmo type?

i must say, I quite like the richness from the SH 30 amplifier with its separate Bass & Treble tone control knobs. For the optical track these come in really handy I've found as otherwise the track can sound a little "thin".

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:38 pm | Top

#12 by Maurice Leakey , Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 pm

No, Andrew,

The lamps look exactly the same. Base. Height. Width. Only the position of the filament is different. Horizontal or Vertical.

This is why confusion can arise.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
A very warm welcome to our latest member

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor