New Applications to the forum - June 17

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:40 pm

We have currently 5 new applications in waiting here again, ready to join us here as members of this forum.

Please amend your details by changing your current standing username to that of your actual forename and surname to comply with our rules here, then we can instantly add you to our membership here.

Failure to do so will result in your application being withdrawn in around two weeks time otherwise.

I look forward to the changes to each of the applications and then your subsequent contributions here hopefully.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:41 pm | Top

RE: New Applications to the forum - June 17

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Or write an email to olavese@online.no with full name and I add and edit your username

Two hav been sent emails with no reply a while ago

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:27 pm

indeed.

Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:54 pm

If they can't play by the rules then why wait ...Simple sign up properly or go elsewhere.
That's my opinion anyway.😀📽📽📽

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 pm

To be fair Gwyn, we have had one genuine example only recently, where the new member simply was unaware of the fact that you HAVE to use your real name here as your username.

This was very quickly established and subsequently rectified in very quick time and this person has become an active member here since.

These are the good stories, the genuine ones which resolve themselves.

More difficult to solve, are the cases where you write to these guys by e-mail,often by more than one admin member and you still hear nothing back.

Then we are left with no other choice than to delete their current application even if only to stop these applications building here to unmanageable levels.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli
Andrew Woodcock

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:48 pm

This figure has now risen to an all time record high of 6 without response.

Please read this entire thread and respond accordingly. Otherwise within one calendar month, all six will be deleted from here and will be forced to re-apply using only their real names in future if they still wish to join this forum.

Thank You.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:50 pm | Top

#7 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:05 am

i have to ask a question here considering there's only a handful of live members contributing here.
I could be wrong but inst more than several hundred or in excess of 1000 people who have joined this forum as member?
In work a mate of mine read that forums can be a good place where some rouge people join in order to gain names for one reason or another. ( i can think of a few reasons), remember the guy who came on and advertised cheap bulbs> I bought some and they were shit old stock with rusted pins. I made a classic stupid error, i never saw him on before he advertised his bulbs and he never came back on to comment when i put a thread up about it did he? I blamed myself on that occasion for doing something that went against my principles.
I can see no point in joining if you never intend to actually come on to say something, even if its just to make a comment occasionally. Maybe im just over thinking this but it did make me think when my mate told me what he read about it.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 06.16.2017 | Top

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Tom.

You are quite correct in this day and age, we all have to remain extremely vigilant and wary as to the reasons why anyone on public places of social media, has a desire to be there.

We do all that we can as admin members to protect our members as well as ourselves of course, against any possibility of unlawful wrong doing by anyone subscribing to our forum.
There are of course legal implications for anyone who is found out to be using such places to carry out unlawful activities or using such places to communicate in an unlawful manner.

We expect everyone here to conduct themselves in an honest and trustworthy, law abiding manner, whether that is simply discussing matters related to our hobby or indeed using our forums as a means to trade goods within the hobby.

Anyone found to be doing anything other than this, would instantly be deleted from our membership and in serious fraudulent cases or serious illegal activities of any kind, any information passed through this forum would likely be investigated by the authorities no doubt.

We currently have around 185 members only last time I looked. A large proportion of which either seldom,or in some instances, never post anything on here.
The time has arrived I feel, whereby for the safety and security of our participating membership here, we should look to delete anybody who has received membership status here and then subsequently, has failed to post anything publicly within a certain time frame., say around one year of total public inactivity here

This would then help safeguard our genuine and sincere members while hopefully ensuring it remains still lively enough with the few remaining active members that still do genuinely exist within our hobby.

I would like the thoughts of our members regarding this one please?

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:07 pm | Top

#9 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Andrew,I have to go with Tom regarding those who just join and do nothing,what's the point?
I also agree with you,if people have joined and say nothing there's no real point I can see in belonging to the forum,I personally will obviously let Vidar and your good selves make a final decision as to how long people can exist in name only on here but maybe if you threaten to exclude them they may start to post.It does not have to be anything fantastic.
Sometimes it would be nice to see something different,anyway over to you😃📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#10 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Ditto there Gwyn

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:00 pm

We await Vidar's, Eivind's and other members thoughts Gwyn & Tom, thanks.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan say Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:00 pm | Top

#12 by Eivind Mork , Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:43 pm

I guess we have discussed similar things many times before, and we see this differently. I come here to have a good time as films are positive to me in my life. I don't like to spend time thinking about those who don't participate. Using time on writing about how little that is written here and how we can block out those who don't participates takes away some of the fun for me as this is not so positive. I don't believe in forcing anyone to do things they don't want to. It is like those who complain to everyone they see that they don't have a girlfriend. They usually don't get one either. To be honest it is a real turn off for me every time this subject arises. This is a much bigger turn off for me than a low post count.

I do see that the number of posts has dropped, but I have a good time reading those that are here. That is what I will focus on. That is what is important to me, even if it is just a post or two a day. I hope new users will meet a positive atmosphere. I therefore don't think this is the way to go. I do know, though, that many here think differently than me. You put down a lot of efforts into writing posts, and it is natural to be disappointed when others don't take their share. I do respect your views, but personally I really do think this is the wrong way to go as I think it gives a signal that drives others away.

I know this is a touchy subject as we all have passionate views on this. I wish you all a nice weekend, and I have enjoyed the posts here the last few days a lot :-)

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:55 pm

I think you have perhaps completely missed the latest point among all of this here Eivind.
In fact here and any other social media outlet for that matter.

This thread relates more to the SECURITY and PROTECTION of our loyal following here and as such, looks to protect them to a much greater level in the future as recent events globally may have proven absolutely necessary and crucial.

Gone are the days when any of us can be Laissez Faire regarding our attitudes and leadership towards the elements of the complete unknown in our societies.
These are not aimed to be hugely political statements, simply common sense among the times we now find ourselves living among.

We need a close knit party of known, compassionate and sincere film collectors here to discuss nothing than other.
If that means our numbers have to considerably drop as a result of simply having insufficient evidence of the reasons why people join sites like this,...then so be it!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:58 pm | Top

#14 by Eivind Mork , Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:57 pm

Maybe I did miss the point, and sorry if I did. Did you think about those who don't give their full name? Or just to delete those with no posts after a while as a security measure as we don't know their intentions?

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

Last edited 06.17.2017 | Top

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:01 am

What I am asking Eivind, is for a serious executive decision from yourself and Vidar, on how we should tackle the issue surrounding keeping this forum simply for the genuine and active film collector.

Nothing more, nothing less.

As always of late, it seems to be like pulling teeth unfortunately, trying to get quick responsive and sensible answers to make this place go forward in the manner we would all like.

Andrew Woodcock

#16 by Eivind Mork , Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:12 am

When I joined my first film forum I didn't own a projector yet. I wasn't in any way active. I was just curious poking around trying to learn things to see if this was something for me. I did become active in the end. If the forum I joined had strict rules that required quick participation, I would most likely not be here. This is why I don't like tightening things up. As of giving quick answers: My day has been busy today. I can't always be online and ready to answer. My life just don't permit that. As of "sensible"; Not sure if you point to my answer here or not. I do my best. Sorry if I fail to understand the point sometimes. But this subject is in my view closely related to things we have discussed before.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:20 am

The world is a very different place nowadays to the one before you owned a GS 1200 unfortunately Eivind.

I am not asking that mass irrational paranoia should set among our membership here or elsewhere,.. simply a way to ensure and guarantee a relaxed, trustworthy and escape type feel atmosphere for the future, for all of our active membership and regular public communicators here.

I fully understand that not even the admin members here can watch over this place 24/7, and nobody is asking for that.
Simply a means to keep everyone feeling that we know everyone we communicate with here and as such, we can trust implicitly, information shared with our pursuits within the hobby, that's all.

Can anybody here hand on heart say that is the case as things stand here, and on many other social media platforms in the recent past, for that matter?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:30 am | Top

#18 by Eivind Mork , Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:32 am

I don't have so many contacts around that you do. I guess I have missed the things going on that makes it more insecure than before. It might well be true for the film collectors without me knowing off course, but it is new to me. Ultimately internet will always be a place where we need to consider what we share and who to trust. I think the requirement of full name is a good idea even if we can't verify it is a true one. It will be easy for someone that has gotten their account closed to create a new one. With services like guerrillamail.com or maildrop.cc you can create new ones every week if you like. So I think such measures will have a bit of a limited value. Again; I might miss the point, and sorry if I do.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:40 am

Eivind, I know the names of at least 90% of the people who collect film here in the UK. For that matter, I reckon I know of an awful lot who collect film globally.

We simply need to get savvy and stop believing we are opening ourselves up, to a whole new world of film collectors.
Sure, there may be the odd genuine new collector who joins the bandwagon occasionally, but that word occasionally is exactly what it is at this late stage of the game.

Even then, because of this fact, they would, without any shadow of doubt, make themselves known in an instance here. That is the way the hobby moves along over the years.
Believe me, I have seen it all in this hobby!!

It is time to start taking a reality check for us all I feel, where this innocent hopeful optimism is concerned.

"It is what it is" has become a very prevalent saying of late, from where I am based here!

So long as we realize, understand and accept this fact, we can move forward accordingly in a productive and optimistic manner for the future.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:02 am | Top

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:51 am

We now have 6 new applications all awaiting approval during this month of July thus far.

To all of these 6, please read this thread and the rules heading the "General" section here, visible by all.
Once you amend your application here or submit to an administrator here your real fore name and surname, you can then be accepted as a member here.

Thank you for your initial interest with our forum.

Del Phillipson likes this
Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Apologies for my lack of participation!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor