Is It Worth the Money?

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:37 am

I see that Raiders of the Lost Ark has recently gone for £1850 on eBay,I know it's a great film and this one looked to be in very good condition,but I do wonder is this a bit steep,At these prices I know they only occur rarely but is the ordinary collector being priced out.Yes I know film collectors are not "ordinary" !but you get my meaning.

For that money one could buy an lot of films etc.

Still someone has a great film hope it was worth it📽📽📽

Mats Abelli likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 270

RE: Is It Worth the Money?

#2 by Mats Abelli , Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:11 am

Thats a film I really would like to have in my collection, but my answer is: I would never pay that sum for a film. My most expensive film is Cinderella (Disney/Derann) It was about £300, and there goes my limit.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Mats Abelli
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#3 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:39 pm

One of the most expensive films I bought would be Jason And The Argonauts Derann Feature about £300 I think.

I have just scared myself with the films I bought in super 8's peak years.

Tom & Jerry cartoons were around £12 they would now cost £68.61

A feature 4x400ft was around the £79 mark Now £451.65

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills...anged-1900.html

I still love the smell of film in the morning

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Gwyn Morgan

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#4 by David Skillern , Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi Gwyn and David,
on this thread but with an alternative take - my most expensive prints were bought over ten years ago Gone with the Wind, Alien, Aliens, Robocop, Predator, Halloween, and Star Trek - Generations - each were over £200 but to buy them now individually - i wouldn't like to put a price on them - thats why so many with good copies of these prints are hanging on to them as to replace them might be beyond some people - which is crazy because after all this is only a hobby albeit occasionally a pricey one - having just got back from an Easter break in Orlando - ive began to realise that creating memories is far more important than stock piling prints that for me get watched once in a blue moon - i'll continue to buy - but only when something I really want comes up on 8 or 16mm - life is too short - and this collector now wants to get out with his family and see a lot more of the world.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:27 pm

As a collector of over 35 years i have to say, great title, super looking print but i just wouldnt entertain even thinking of paying that or even half. Its simply ridiculous.
The most i would pay for a top title,& i mean a top title, would be 250-300. Im talking the sort of titles like davids mentioned.
Oh & die hard. Have i mentioned im after this one

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

Last edited 04.22.2017 | Top

#6 by Martin Dew , Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Totally agree with the above. £250 to £300 for a title I really want, but still the most I've spent on any Super 8 or 16mm feature so far is £150.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#7 by David Alligan , Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:02 pm

When I collected super 8 when it was at its prime £300 to £350 was my limit the price for raiders is totally unrealistic and I would never pay that sort of money for a super 8 print

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Martin Dew
David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

#8 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Or even 16mm

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#9 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks all have to agree with all a thought of more money than sense springs to mind.For my money this is a hobby which I enjoy and obviously everyone here does,my hope is that this is not the shape of the way forward ,and I'm sure common sense will continue to prevail.

Of course if I win the lottery ...........📽📽📽📽

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Martin Dew

Gwyn Morgan
home: Devon
ThankYou 270

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:50 pm

As I've said many times over already now, I won't pay four figure sums for any individual film either. I don't believe I ever would either no matter what my circumstances would ever be. Even if I won the lottery!

By the time you reach these levels of price point, I think that as a working class person, you understand the value of money sufficiently so that your principles would never allow this to happen.

I used to have a ceiling limit of £200 for any individual film when I first returned back to this hobby.
This has been superseded now on many many occasions to be able to find particular titles I have searched hard to be able to find now.

Realistically, my ceiling figure for any one film is around double now of what it once was. This still excludes myself from many titles sold at auction, but I'm happy with what I already have now and any additions are merely a bonus for me.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Tom Photiou, David Alligan, Gwyn Morgan and Mats Abelli
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:48 pm | Top

#11 by Alan Rik , Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:11 pm

That was a 16mm print and looking at the condition, great colors, AND Scope? It was pretty high but I can see it. I find it funny that there are many Super 8 collectors, myself included at times , that cannot believe the price that Super 8 prints go for now. Many of Derann's new prints were very high in price. And now they are gone of course so it makes sense that a good, very well taken care of print will sell for a lot of money. For the Super 8 crowd the over 2,000 price for Raiders seems high.
But for 16mm collectors that was relatively cheap.
16mm IB Tech prints can go into the 4-10,000 range I have heard. If I was a 16mm collector and that print came up AND I could afford it I would have bid on that film. For me if there was a film that I was unsure that I would keep longterm I would never bid for more than I think I could resell it if the time came. But if it was something that I knew I was going to keep I would bid/pay higher than I normally would knowing I wouldn't resell.
So...any 16mm Scope "Enter the Dragon" prints out there with great color in great condition? :)

Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Happy birthday

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor