What Do You Want From A Film Forum In 2018?

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:03 am

Looking forward, as we are all forced to do so, whether we like it or not, I am this evening, asking ALL of our members and outsiders alike through other means of communication in this 21st C, just what it would take, to create a lively and vibrant forum from their own perspective?

What are the reasons you joined any film forum?
What makes it "tick" in your opinion?
What makes one fail to capture your interest?
Do you believe there is sufficient interest in this hobby still nowadays, to even warrant forums on the subject matter any longer?
If your answer is yes then..

What are your expectations from a forum and what would make you visit and post more often?

Any input gratefully received and all suggestions would be most welcomed and valued.

If your answer is no, then please just tell us all why you were drawn to these forums in the first instance, if you will, and then also, where you see your future interests lying, going ahead for the year 2018?

Do you still play an active roll in this hobby, if so what gauge(s) are you interested in?
Do you like shooting on film still if film were to become readily available again soon?
Would you be interested in looking in on the Small format Magazine if it were to launch again, this time online,... etc etc?

I am making this subject an unreplyable one to anyone's feedback, in the hope more members will "air" their views free from comment from anybody else.
I will ensure this is administrated as such if any attempt to comment from any other member or non member appears here.
As said, everybody's input will be listened to, respected and highly valued, even those who wish to remain anonymous.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:36 am | Top

RE: What Do You Want From A Film Forum In 2018?

#2 by Paul Barker , Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:18 pm

firstly let me say i find forums certainly helps keep the hobby alive. we are after all just a small group of like minded people. my interst is 16mm film collecting only.sorry but i dislike the 8mm format. but thats just my view. i know there are a great many that just love 8mm. i used to collect super 8mm many years ago but once i sampled 16mm that was it. i also think that as so many also have digital projection as well as their real film choice, its odd that you cannot even mention a blu ray/dvd release on here. i think thats a big mistake. i see this forum as just a very small group of regulars. i also, which i suppose you will find on any forum, there are posts which i find not very interesting. for the future i hope the forums continue for many years to come. just like the film fairs that are held throughout the year. these too need to be supported where possible. some have them on their doorstep but still make no effort. the forums are different. you dont even have to leave the house to visit. i used to write for projections magazine. people love to read it but would not dream of contributing to it. so i just hope the future is good for all film collectors.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Thank you Paul for your input. It is most appreciated. I welcome others viewpoints so we can hopefully improve all of the forums that are currently still available in their appeal to others, old and new to these places.

I would appreciate any input regarding topics that most find interesting and those that others do not.

Are we looking for a less or more technical aspect to forum postings for example?

Are we really interested in seeing people's collections or screenshots etc? Or even People's equipment and talk of such?

Or perhaps do we just want more of the topics relating to classic film in general with more talk surrounding the casts,directors, productions, film posters,in fact all film memorabilia aspects etc etc?

Do we need to now include modern productions even if that means discussing digital movies maybe?

Ultimately, What we really need to know, is what it is that interests individuals regarding the subject of film collecting as a whole please?

Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:29 pm

A good set of questions here Andy, If i am cruley blunt, what everyone looks for in a forum is exactly what was and still is on the other forum.
A year a go everything was A1 on here but unfortunately a lot of regular & knowledgeable posters moved away for one reason or another.
That now means, as Paul just said, that it appears to be only a few regulars on here. Very sad as its a great forum website and images are so easy to upload. Very important when you are talking about screenshots and also projector tips and repairs. (the later seems very limited).

To have so many members but so few inputting, (you can see that by the number of views on a thread, if i do a review you get maybe up to 6 or 10 comments but over a 100 views), it seems a lot of effort for nothing.
I personally love both the main forums, This one and 8mm Tech. I have tried the other two but again only a handful of people inputting. Often no replies to a thread at all. Thats just pointless.
For this or any Forum to go forward it needs a lot more input from a lot more members as possible otherwise it just repeats itself and people drop off. I suspect a lot of watchers are purely looking in to see what they sell films for & nothing else, nor ever intend to anything else & if your one such person reading this get stuffed.

I thought a thread for projector servicing and tips back a long would be have been what a lot of people would be drawn to on any forum format, 8,16 and 35. Unfortunatly it appears that some, (not all) people dont want to share.This is one area that is needed on either forum. 99.9% of people in this hobby know how to clean a film & i think we all know who collects what type of film, what you saw last night is great with screenshots but is now also repeating from time to time.

All this forum needs is to draw back some of the well know collectors it has lost but like the other forum, it does, (& i know i have been guilty of this), require very strict policy of no insults, no politics, FILM TALK ONLY, and with Doug on the Tech forum being a real stickler for this by deleting anything that doesn't apply, it may well work like it was a year or two ago

Over to you chaps, (be gentle with me)

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#5 by Martin Dew , Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:06 pm

I totally agree about a technical thread, Tom, even with my limited time on this forum.

I came back to the hobby knowing little about projector inner workings or, indeed, basic maintenance. I have, however, learnt a great deal about Bell & Howell and Eumig in the past 6 months from the likes of Nigel Lister, John White, Bill Parsons, Ian Partridge and Andrew Woodcock (although the latter through private messaging). But I've had to go out of my way to get to meet these people at shows or at their homes. Mind you, I've very much enjoyed that social aspect of the hobby, but it would be fantastic if there were product-specific open notes on this forum about how to, for example, extend the life of the consumable parts in your projector, apply oils and greases to moving parts as good practice, store film optimally, and avoid pitfalls when handling film. None of us need to be qualified engineers to do the basics, but I bet that the expertise level of forum members varies greatly.

There are people on this forum and 8mm Film-tech who have worked with film professionally, and it would be fantastic to get some of their input and expertise as a regular feature on Reel Magic. One thing I've realised about film collecting is that it's not a competition; each of us has his/her own areas of targeted interest, both in terms of hardware and 'software', so I don't believe there should be any incentive for people to hold back information if they have the time to share it.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:57 pm

More fine points raised there gentlemen. All are noted and I hope to read more on this subject before we can then assess and reflect on what we may be able to do, as a forum, to give our members exactly what they seek, on each and every point raised here.

I thank the three members here for being the very first to comment and welcome more viewpoints before we may be able to serve our members better.
What we can do to welcome back knowledgeable members who have decided to leave here for whatever reasons, I do
not know now short of begging.
All that have left have all been asked to return as far as I am aware, but if they choose not to return, there is nothing more we can do sadly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:56 am | Top

#7 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:03 pm

BTW, i will say something on this matter. (It's a point Andrew raised).

No one is expecting a "how to do a major repair or overhaul on any projector. The professionals mentioned here have learned there trade and skills over many years in the re younger days. They do the job for a living and no one would expect 100% free advice on here, in brief, what i am referring to is as previously mentioned hints and tips or simple repairs.
Mr Parsons has been very kind to me also with some advice, (& many others have also benefited). Without some of this advice my film projectors would not be functioning. In fact, i may have left the hobby years ago.
For me it was the Elmo 1200/HD service book i got from Candy @ Hanimax many years ago that made me want to do some of my own minor repairs. I think i studied this book many times over and still do.
So therefore with everything so difficult to fix or to find someone to do it then these forums can & should benefit people in the hobby in the best way possible.

And of course the forums are a valuable source of film purchasing, Hugh Scott has been very kind in the past to. He sent me FOC a part 3 of witchfinder General to complete my full feature & refused any offer of payment, I have made purchases through here from Andy, (Pluto s xmas), also Dave Guest whom i found out about on here. (Disgusting when you consider i have been in the hobby for 35 years +) But i have never made it to the big convention at Blackpool. So on this alone i can see what i have missed out on. All this via the forum/s.

It was also the place, (film Tech), that i asked for support when i have the Elmo HD 24FPS clutch wheels re manufactured, i got it in abundance, they all sold. Didn't make any dosh but i fulfilled a minimum order that the company required to make them and hopefully it kept a few more Elmos going including my own. And they wernt cheap.

So for all you blokes who only look in, now is the chance to say your piece or sod off. Otherwise this and other forums will drop dead!

My only problem is, living here in the South West, its a great place but you have to travel so far to do anything. I have to rely on postal services for projector repairs etc, i could never pop into any of the dealers, (except movieland here in Plymouth), as they were all a long way to go & of course films were in abundance.
I think Bill Parsons would be driven insane if i lived within a short distance

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

Last edited 04.07.2017 | Top

#8 by Martin Dew , Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:22 am

I totally agree, Tom, I'm only talking about basic maintenance of the preventative kind too. I don't want the repair guys to part with their hard-earned knowledge on more complex matters, and it's in our interests to keep their businesses going. Long may that continue.

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#9 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:40 am

Anyone else?????

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#10 by Paul Barker , Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:23 am

i thought there would have been a big responce to this post. looks like i was wrong. as i stated when i wrote for PROJECTIONS magazine it was like getting blood out of a stone to get readers to contribute with letters or articles of their own. thankfully there are still the few that do give their time and effort to make it a great little read. this forum is similar to it. just a small group of regulars contributing . then when these things end the first to complain are the ones that never gave any imput.i admit i myself will only comment where i feel i want to. but lets face it we are a small minority who love real film.projectors. etc etc. the forums need to continue. it all helps to this wonderful hobby we have.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks again Paul. Your observations are spot on and I am hoping for at least a couple more opinions to see what we can post in the future to appeal to our readers even more, even if this is mainly for readers and not many contributors sadly.

I'd welcome more posts from everyone and its brilliant that you have expressed your own views on this one Paul.
We may not always be of the exact same mindset regarding all aspects of our hobby, or any other interest in life for that matter, but that isn't what matters with forums. We absolutely need a complete variety of different view points to cover all aspects of our hobby here correctly and adequately to keep it varied and interesting for ALL of our membership.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:40 am | Top

#12 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Just curious, why 2018 when there's still nearly nine months left in 2017? Nothing like the present if you're looking to improve or keep the status quo. Many good points raised, but please, less importance placed on the whole member count vs activity debate. Seems like that topic has been flogged to death. Better (in my opinion) to encourage any postings, even if it's from the same 6-8 members. Some activity is better than none, as I'm seen other forums die off when comments slowed to a trickle. Considering this is a hobby with what has to be a shrinking demographic, encorurage (and nurture) newcomers even if their machines and films are of a modest nature. Not all can afford top of the line projectors or features, especially in the current economic climate.

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Vidar Olavesen
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Douglas Warren

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks Doug.

2018 was just selected as a time when realistically, I thought we could make fresh start here if it proved necessary based on our current ratings.
Don't get me wrong Doug, no one is expecting 200 different posts per day in this day and age in this hobby, but I'd like to think we could do a little better than we are currently experiencing.

Even film tech is having some quiet days right now and this will only presumably increase as we head for the summer months throughout Europe and the U.S.

I gave 2018 as a realistic target for having all the necessary feedback and liaison with our admin staff when the holiday season has ended, to bring about any changes that may prove necessary to increase our popularity and successful longevity.

I take on board your points regarding all types of equipment and films within our hobby being of equal importance and this point, along with all others previously expressed, will now be placed on a list ready for ideas of what we can do to enhance these wishes here.

Thanks for posting Douglas, it is most appreciated. 😊

I welcome the opinions of all of our membership and outsiders alike.
Anyone who wishes their comments to remain anonymous can do so here by sending their comments to any member of our admin team or their member friends here to copy and paste these comments here if they so wish.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:13 pm | Top

#14 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:24 pm

First of all, I would like to say, that the forum was intended to be for the film (not movie) purists, who do not wish to discuss movies on any other format than film. I read the posts on the 8mm Forum at the time Vidar had made public, his own displeasure for the digital talk. He was criticized by some members for that. Although, I was no longer an active member of that forum, I understood exactly where he stood and I felt the same. Vidar himself, started this forum with one thing in mind: to discuss our love for film technology itself. I was excited when I found out that he was starting this forum, because I wholeheartedly share his passion for film and projectors.

We all have varied interests in the types of films we enjoy watching. For example, my good friend Eivind does not enjoy horror films, whereas I do. So it's going to be difficult for him to get excited over a thread that I may start on the subject...and that's o.k. I don't expect him or anyone else to 'like', or even comment on such. And I will bypass a thread that is not of interest or relevance to myself. Another example, I can't get excited over a cine shop in the U.K. when I live in the U.S....because it's of no relevance to myself.

I do think specific tutorials for simpler repairs or maintenance would be a good thing to include. But that may only be relevant to a forum member who owns a particular type of projector. We are all from various countries, where certain products were only available to some of us, but not all of us. All but one of my projectors were made in the U.S. for the U.S. market. So any tutorial that I write will only be of use to a very few, if any.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that unless more forum members are wiilling to start threads of their own, it's going to be difficult for the few who do start threads to appeal to everyone. But things should be kept in perspective. This is a forum for sharing info with other collectors. And it should be a fun and informative place to visit. It isn't a for-profit business that MUST get it's numbers up by years end. Sure, it would be nice to have more members participating, but it has to be of their own free will.

When I acquired my first movie projector, I surfed the Internet looking for ANYTHING that would educate me on the use and care of such equipment. The 8mm Forum was one of the first things that popped up. I was hesitant at first, because there were occasionally some 'smart alec' responses in some of the threads I read. I didn't want to ask a question myself and risk getting such a response. I'm sure that there are others who have looked into forums and felt very intimidated to put themselves out there. That could be one of many reasons why members do not write anything. Not that we are a troubled forum, like what I described. But there could be that fear of putting their questions or writings out into the public eye for all to see.

We all could strive to add more varied content here, I suppose. But I don't believe that we should stress over it. After all, this is a hobby that only consumes a fragment of our complex (and sometimes complicated) lives. :-)

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Mats Abelli, Martin Dew and Vidar Olavesen
Tim Duncan
Last edited Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:29 pm | Top

#15 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Good points Tim, i always remember one of my lecturers at college when i did my apprenticeship telling us, Ask the question, if you dont you wont find out, even if you think its a daft question, if a smart alec makes an inappropriate reply then be a smart alec back or ignore it. Or report it to the administrators, although the chances are it will be picked up anyway. Never be worried about asking anything on here or any other forum.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:06 am

All points noted once again, this time from,Tim.
Thanks for posting your views Tim and once again, they all make the list.
Most of my early learning when coming back into the hobby, came about by trawling through the search engine on film tech and finding out as much as I possibly could for any model I was interested in.
This worked well for myself and I can only advise others do likewise if they feel unsure to ask.
I'd hope nearly everyone would be comfortable to ask any kind of question technical or otherwise, if they so wished. Be it here or elsewhere.
We all started out knowing nothing at all regarding film and film equipment.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:12 am | Top

#17 by Eivind Mork , Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:30 am

I am away from home at the moment, and have only had time for a quick peek here. I will get back with my thoughts soon :-)

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 404

#18 by Michael Lattavo , Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:27 pm

I would like more basic projector repair stuff. And I realize this is film only forum, but agree that could be eased up a bit as well. For instance - I am considering adding a digital projector to my outside set up, but have sound questions that I would never considering posting here. I think part of what makes the other forum more active is the less stringent rules - it's permissible to post a picture of something not film related, etc.

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#19 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Sorry, use a digital forum for that. Or the Film Tech forum, they seem happy with this

Mats Abelli likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Points noted once again thank you Michael, and of course Vidar.

We have already received two comments expressing a desire to relax the rules here regarding digital equipment and software etc.

We must all remember and respect, that whether we agree or not, these are Vidar's wishes and one of the primary reasons he set up this forum in the first instance was to get away from the increasing talk regarding steel books etc etc over on film tech.

Whatever else we may be able to change or tweak to fine tune to better suiting our memberships wishes, there is no way Vidar will allow digital talk on this forum I'm guessing.

It's ultimately his forum, he pays for it, so that is something we all will have to accept whether that suits us all or not.
I must admit, from my own point of view, I prefer dedicated film forums to reflect topics surrounding the subject of real film and real film equipment.
After all, there are hundreds of modern day digital home cinema forums and websites without the few remaining film forums joining in.
Just my two penny worth though and as said, all points raised here are noted and listed and will be discussed during concluding discussions to anything posted here, but on this particular point, I envisage little, if anything at all, will be changing in the future.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Vidar Olavesen
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:35 pm | Top

#21 by Michael Lattavo , Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:58 am

I completely understand, and respect the film only format. But I wasn't only referring to digital projection conversations. The fact that this forum strictly allows only film talk about film severely limits any other type of conversation. So, if one has not had a chance to enjoy this hobby for a few weeks, there is simply nothing to post about. If there is nothing to post about, and you are only permitted to post about celluloid and their respective machines, then you can't wonder why there is not more involvement.

Case in point: I'm out of town, away from my projectors, for the next three weeks. Literally no chance to view anything, etc......

On another note, I do have something new to post, so will do that now!

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:32 am

The "General Yak" section Michael, is something we could look at. I know quite a few of you guys will be heading off for Cinesea soon and this certainly makes for good topical reading here whether it's your own projectors and films featured or not.
Why not post us all some photographs of the event Michael?
This is the kind of general yak that certainly would be most welcomed here!😊

My only issue with any general yak section on any specialist forum, is all too soon conversation spreads across all kinds of completely irrelevant subject matter to the point where you begin to reason the very existence of the actual forum in the first instance?

How good the Ham & Eggs were this morning, photographs of days out, sunsets, aircraft, cars etc etc etc.
Before you know it, the forum can look more like a page from Facebook rather than a specialized film forum.

In the good old days here as Tom described earlier, when we had many other well respected and knowledgeable members alongside us, at times we could digress a little too heavily and topics,soon began to get political and even quite heated at times.

Again though Michael, these are just my own views on the matter and we are seeking members wishes. If this proved to be the format that the majority wanted our forum to branch out to, then of course this suggestion along with all the others, will be seriously considered.

Thanks for posting again Michael.

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:37 am | Top

#23 by Eivind Mork , Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:50 pm

I came to this hobby a few years ago and knew nothing. I had a few
cartoons from the 90s and otherwise only watched family films from the
60s to the 80s. I can't remember what lead me to thinking about films
again, but I started googling and ended up wanting to buy a
projector. I have been active at other forums, and searched for forums
and found one in Norway (now ended) where I met Vidar. It was
fantastic to meet someone with a fond interrest and who was willing to
share his knowledge.

For me the film collecting is one of my main hobbies, but I have
others (like beekeeping, programming (and other technical related
things) and photography). I don't use as much time on film like others
here in the forum, but it gives me great joy, and I check the forum
daily.

For me the forum is most of all the possibility to share the joy. That
can be someone sharing their excitement of a new film (a totally red
200' silent or a flawless LPP stereo). Whatever makes THEM happy. In
the same way I like to share what makes me happy, and post screenshots
as often as I can. Not because I feel I must, but because I want
to. When others write about their new films I learn a lot about what
is out there, what is a reasonable price, which is commonly faded etc.

I have had great help many times from experienced collectors with
technical problems too. I hope to help others, but I am still quite
new to this, but I help as often as I can.

For me it is crucial that the forums has a positive drive. I post
because I want to share. And for me it is not important if the forum
has 100 new posts/comments a day or 5. Off course it can't be dead
silent, but the main thing is that there are at least a few of us
sharing, not that it is the biggest. For me it gets problematic when I
feel I SHOULD post to do my share. I agree that we must all
participate, but this is a hobby, not work, and at the moment it is
not driven by just fun I am out of the hobby. This is what hobbies are
for or else it would be work and I would get paid. I am a family
father, and the time I use for film and forums is the little time I
have each day, and I won't use that for things that don't feel like
just fun. The moment we demand that others do more I am afraid we end
up with the opposite effect: It feels like something I must do = work
and no fun, and they are out.

So what can we do to get more posts? I do believe that the most
important thing is to welcome all that writes anything and encourage
them to write more. For someone with just a few scratchy red films it
can feel scary to post when there are others with impressive
screenshots. Make them feel that their posts are welcome and positive
to the forum! Luckily we don't have anyone that writes negative
things, so that is not what I mean, but it is easy to forget those
small encouraging words that makes newcomers want to write more. Or
just a click on the "like" button (a great feature of this
fourm). There are many posts where I don't get a reply, but I do get a
thumbs up from Andrew, Vidar, Tim, Tom and many others, and it feels
worthwile. I know there are big collectors not writing anything that
could have had many great things to say. I don't want to waste my
thoughts on that, but focus at the positive sides. In the end I think
we are better off with that.

The subjects we write can't be interesting to all. Like Tim said, we
are close friends, but he loves horror films, and I don't care much
about that. In the same way I don't think he gets as excited as me for
WWII documentaries, not to mention Norwegian educational films :-) But
that is OK :-) It is OK if most of the members skips my posts about
that. So write about something that excites YOU! Even though I don't
care much for horror films, I DO like to read about someone getting a
horror films and is excited about that, though.

The technical advice is off course invaluable, and I allways read
everything I see about technical advice. Who knows when I need that
advice next. I wish I knew more and could help others more often,
though.

I do collect both Super 8 and 16mm, but I try to focus mostly on Super
8 because of space constraints. I have also shot a few reels with a
camera, and found that very exciting. I like many different things,
but I most of all look for cartoons. I love Donald, Mickey and
Goofy. Those I can watch with my son, and I hope I have a few more
years where we can share the joy.

I do agree to keep the forum to reel film only. Not because I don't
care about digital as such. In this very moment I just helped my son
with a media server streaming films from a server to the TV here at
home. I could also talk a lot about photography and beekeeping. But
this has nothing to do with the forum. The only thing we have in
common is film on reels. If we write about all other things it would
clog down the forum and make it hard to read what I came for. What is
certain is that we most likely have VERY different political views,
religious views, etc etc. And that is OK, but here I am in for the
films. If poeple get close because of this forum, that is just great,
but there are other places to talk about the everyday life.

I have noticed that the activity has dropped, but I don't waste my
attention too much on that. The forum lives as long as it does. If
people leave, then the forum is no longer needed. We can't pressure
more activity, only encourage in a positive way. The best suggestiuon
I can think of is to keep the positivity and let people write about
what excites them! It is like men I have met in life who really really
wanted a girlfriend. When they talk about how dreadful it is that no
one wants them, they get no one. Those who spread positivity and don't
think too much about being single are those who get a girlfriend. If
we post a lot about that it is a shame that no one want to write
anything here I am afraid we just push people off. It is natural to
think this (I have thought this too), but I don't think it helps to
write about it too often. If no one wants me, I am better off not to
think too much about it :-) (I wasn't the quickest to get a girlfriend
by the way, so I don't know what that tells about me :-)

This thread helps me understand what excites others, and I will try to
keep that in mind when I write and comment. And I will try to be
better at expressing that I apprecaite what others write. So thank you
for all inputs here! It is much appreciated!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 404

#24 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:15 pm

a lengthy and complete mixed bag of thoughts there Eivind, thanks.

A lot surrounding tactics to allow people to be free to post whatever they want when they want, which of course, is always what they do anyhow.
Problem is, as you've said yourself here, if this becomes too infrequent, then the forum then becomes no longer,very sadly,.. as you admitted yourself.
This is something I wouldn't want to personally witness for any of the remaining forums.
I truly believe there are plenty of people still left in this hobby to cater well for the very few dedicated forums that remain to serve them.

When I last looked, over 1600 people had looked at this thread alone.
Why only a handful choose to comment on how they'd like it running, is beyond me quite frankly.
1600 plus people however, tells me that whatever the reasons may be, it certainly isn't because no one is interested in this hobby any longer.

As for your wishes of what you'd like to see more or less of here Eivind, all points once again have been noted and listed.
I will be coming towards yourself and Vidar at the end of the exercise to see what we collectively feel we could do with the format of things here, to give our forum a new lease of life with any luck.

If we only have one or two posts a day now typically, I don't believe we can sit back and expect things to take care of themselves without some kind of change or ingenuity to make our formatting more enticing maybe.
All we can do is try.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 pm | Top

#25 by Eivind Mork , Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:47 pm

My post was very unstructured and in hindsight probably hard to read. Sorry about that. I agree about not just sitting back. I hope the input we get here can help us with some ideas. I do think that many just want to use facebook, I am not a huge fan of that as everything is unstructured and it is very difficult to find something you have read before. But it is obvious that forums are not the natural and only place to discuss things like this anymore.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 404

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
A Warm Welcome to the forum Kevin

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor