An Observation, that's all.

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:40 am

This is not a criticism, or a stab at anyone I'd first like to make known,but what I do see plenty, is people writing to me and countless others no doubt, surrounding information on this that or the other topic within our hobby,that I feel would be just great posted on our forums publicly.

I'm not talking about sensitive matters here or anything that would or could jeopardize an imminent deal for someone, just general pointers to certain aspects of our machines or films etc.

Things which, as I say, would equally provide the rest of the collecting community with some pointers and useful tips at times, through our own experiences, often for better or worse at times (we've all been there).

Can anyone possibly explain to me why people do at times, appear to be a little apprehensive about posting queries and the likes on our forums for all to view and learn from?

I just feel its such a shame, that often at times,only two people get to learn anything from these types of conversations, that's all.
Our shared experiences in the hobby,teach us everything.
We'd all be lost without one another at times.

I suppose the real question is, what do you feel makes film collectors just so very secretive at times, even about things that really don't need to be?

Your thoughts please?

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Vidar Olavesen, Mats Abelli, David Alligan and Gwyn Morgan
Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli say Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:02 am | Top

RE: An Observation, that's all.

#2 by Martin Dew , Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:27 am

Andrew, I would be happy to share my private messages on the forum. Being a newbie, you and others have given up your valuable time and very kindly helped me out with several technical and collector-related things now.

I think it's probably because, on balance, people don't want to bother the whole community with issues that only affect their own projector/films etc. I only take things 'offline' when I feel that what I am asking or saying is not necessarily of importance to all; otherwise, one assumes, there could be a deluge of 'off-piste' posts on the boards.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Last edited 03.16.2017 | Top

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:40 am

i think you make a very fair point there Martin and thank you for being the first to reply here btw. I have had around a dozen different people writing to me and contacting me in other ways this past week alone, sometimes also,me asking them things, but on each occasion, I often come away thinking to myself, what would be so wrong in allowing everyone actively involved in our hobby to read and learn from this stuff.

Even more frustrating to me, is when an interesting topic on any forum, suddenly turns into a PM exercise???
It baffles me, it really does at times.

Naturally, if someone writes to me or shares info with me in confidence, then I respect their wishes, but others could and should have this info to hand at times for when they face a similar experience, whenever it is non confidential by it's very nature, I feel.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:04 pm | Top

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Remember, if you ask here and we can answer, it makes us feel better too ;-)

Post on forum, others might wonder about the exact same thing

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Mats Abelli , Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:51 pm

You are quite right Andrew. The whole idea about a forum like this, is to share knowledge about this great hobby. Someone is a skilled technician, another one knows everything about a certain distributor and a third one may know all about a certain actor. Together we are an open encyclopedia.

Martin Dew likes this

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Very True Mats and we all miss Hugh's contributions for points 2 and 3 there! What he didn''t know on these two matters, you could write on the back of a matchbox!
An incredible resource for film knowledge was Hugh when he was on the forums.

Andrew Woodcock

#7 by Eivind Mork , Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 pm

I agree that the knowledge is best shared. I do also agree with what Martin wrote, and think this is the reason in most cases.

It could also possibly be a way to get good answers quickly? I at least are better to reply quickly on private messages as I get notifications right away that my attention is needed.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 pm

I agree with everything that has been said so far on this thread,but going back to Andrews original question about why not post your question here etc the following springs to my mind.

For many years the collecting of 16mm films was very much a secretive hobby.Everyone involved in the precurment of the films to the owning and showing was done on a need to know basis.Everyone involved kept very much to themselves and it was a close knit community.To0 some degree I think this still prevails,its very much a case of not giving anything away, must not say too much.....Why?????

Also I think people don't want to become involved in a sort of free for all as happened on the other forum regarding a broken worm gear.What started of as a simple question/request became open season on who could do the repair,with moderator stepping in to bring things to a head.I am not saying this would happen on here,I am sure it would not.

Maybe its a case of not wanting to actually write something on the open forum,we have a large membership and as has been said before only a few post.....why?

I stiil come back to the thought that some still think this is a secretive hobby and to change their mindset is never going to happen.

As said just observations

Gwyn Morgan
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:43 pm

Well that is clearly a trait of "owning" film that could never legally be purchased I supposed. Shame though, all the same.

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:02 am

Hi Andy, not too sure what you may think of this idea, i always love the idea of "how to do this fix or that fix",
instead of having each fix, for example, (this isn't what i am asking its an example) "can anyone on here show me in simple steps how to fit a new rear guide to my ????? model projector", being a thread for discussion, it could be in a new subject box, maybe called technical help for 8mm projectors or technical help for 16mm projectors. What i am trying to say is if a person asks a question, whatever answers are given could be checked by moderators with the best repair knowledge and this could be locked and ended as a fix or tip, In other words eventually, like the film reviews, people can check into the maintenance/repair tips box and read through them.
I would also have to say they should only be kept to the basic service and repairs in order for anything to elaborate not to be taken on. Sometimes people attempting servicing or repairs without the correct info could end up knackering there machine.[
Does this make sense

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:19 am

It does Tom, except to say, you cannot Knacker what already is broken. However I accept nowadays, more than ever previously, that in many instances I'm flogging a dead horse at times trying to help people out at times with Their machines.

To the point where if no one heeds even the very basic advice given, based on a 40 yr steep learning curve, then what is the point? Even for the basics?

You do find yourself tiring through repeating yourself and worse of all is when people admit to being too lazy themselves to research anything from the thousands of previously posted pointers on such matters!

Then you just think to yourself, oh well, your problem then!

I came into it all again all eyes and ears, if others do likewise, for the most part, it's already written, by loads of different people who knew exactly how it all is!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:34 am | Top

#12 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:43 am

i see what you mean, but aside the fftc mags where i use to do those tips for the 1200 owners there isn't anywhere where you can go into a single click box to find similar tips and fixes with a click of a mouse.
here;s a good example, take my 16mm nt1, i have many questions i would like to ask, (i do have the service/repair manual), but on all the forums i cant seem to find anywhere that either explains or shows,(with video links) how to, (only for example), lubricate the projector, or replace a particular part. I know there are search boxes and also,when a question is asked an answer does come back, & this is very good on the forums. With our ageing projectors everyone's own bit of knowledge is gold, when i saw one of the Italian chaps on the other forum put on his complete restoration of a GS1200 i was quite taken back at this fantastic post. I sent the chap a PM and asked if he would send the details in with images to Phil for the magazine, the response was positive but never materialised, such a shame as this is what the magazine is crying out for, all that time taken to put it on a forum but not interested in the book, while we are not talking about the mag my point was, if i wnt simple elmo tips people can refer to the fftc books,easy to find, hold in your hand take it the projector, on here as Andy says very few people share, only passing on info when asked. Not sure if i am off topic here??

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:13 am

But with all due respect Tom, Ugo isn't going to is he??

It is his efforts and his efforts alone that have taken his own dedication to these levels. He is probably of the mindset of, well why the chuff should i spend all of my time sharing this when I have spent a lifetime building up to this!

Who can blame him, all for the benefit of the self declared lazy projectionist?

I take your point though Tom regarding the breakdown of a simple "Go To" tab for the easy tasks.
I will allow David or Gwyn or others begin here with these posting lectures for the 16mm machines.

Once we have reams of information, I might be inspired to go again regarding Super 8mm perhaps.

You've done your bit Tom, now it's time for every other self professed film lover to do likewise.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:05 am | Top

#14 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:11 am

I must admit, 14 months ago I sent my GS down to Bill as it was beyond a quick fix and needed serious tinkering by the main man, he did a fantastic job and I hope that it will now last for years to come. But on the flip side Bill will also give you great tips and I am ALWAYS a good listener and ALWAYS ready to give it a go as and when I think I can, I have learned numerous tips from Bill over the last 14 months, including using the right greases and how to apply it properly, as well as other greases and oils. I am the world's worst solderer but have proceeded to change the recording capacitor on my GS with amazing results (thank you Paul Browning), the buzz you get when something YOU have done comes off is brilliant. I have said it before, we ALL need to observe and learn as much about our own projectors as we can, so we can keep them running at an optimum level. It is both rewarding and educating at the same time

The following members like this: Bill Parsons and David Alligan
Del Phillipson

#15 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:23 am

Andy,I must say I quite like Toms idea of a specific thread but that's down to others to decide upon.If I can be of help I will but as will be seen at present I am not on here much other than for a quick view as my "digi" job is actually taking up more time.Its not only showing films anymore,our equipment is being used for all sorts of special presentations,and fortunately for me the boss says if the equipment is on then you must have a projectionist using it!!....Sounds like old times...well not quite.

There is a lot of information out there it is a case of just asking and looking ....seek and ye shall find

Gwyn Morgan
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:50 am

That's right Gwyn and Del and that was exactly was I was saying above.
I wasn't born with an ability to solder either. Neither were the Bill's of this world.
But once you've done it a couple of hundred times, you start to feel confident that you can solder a valuable item, yourself.

Just practice first on an old board on something that doesn't matter.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:00 pm | Top

#17 by Tom Photiou , Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:49 am

All points taken on board .but have to say i fully agree what gian did was his own work.and fantastic work it was but he did share it on line on the forum. I wasnt suggesting a point by point how to do it but merley the same thing on the forum to share in our one and only magazine,after all we do forget while most collectors are connected not everyone in our hobby is on line.
This particular major overhal was of course a specilist restore.this was an extreme example i used.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 03.19.2017 | Top

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:51 pm

I don't see Ugo posting much sadly surrounding his excellent work. I know even with Ugos fabulous skill set, even he has used pooled information shared from other experts of these machines to achieve the undeniable outstanding restorations that he does.

Del's earlier words here are the perfect summary of the situation with all of our projectors.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:52 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Birthday message

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor