Long Play.......BIG?...

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Have very recently added this to my long play collection,until I saw it I had not seen the likes of it before,maybe someone else on here has got this system would like more info.
This is I believe an Elf ? Long play system consisting of a take off come rewind arm,and a take up arm.Both are independently driven by motors attached to the arms,the take off being controlled via a toothed type belt.The rewind speed is incredible never seen anything so fast on 16mm.
For now I have both arms on a long piece of wood because as you can see they fold down for storage.(thank goodness)
When you add a projector ,thIs one was for the photo only,and two large reels the whole thing is Big.!!!.
This is a work in progress which I have started but I am not sure about the wood base.Also because it's so big thought has to be given on where to put the whole lot when made up to shop a film,not for the faint hearted this one.
Because it's independent motors can I ask does anyone use anything to clean electric motors,some sort of spray,and no I don't mean water.
Here are some pics from its folded position to what it will be like with a projector and film in the future,
Anyone else got one like it?
[[File:image.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_2.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_3.jpeg]][[File:image_3.jpeg|none|auto]]
[[File:image_4.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_5.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_6.jpeg|none|auto]]
[[File:image_7.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_8.jpeg|none|auto]]

Sorry the pics are small and don't give the best perspective of the arms but it's so damn big trying to get a decent photo.����

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 270

RE: Long Play.......BIG?...

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Sorry the pics did not load first time.

Hope that's ok

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 270

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:31 pm

A beast of a machine Gwyn! 😂😂
Whereabouts is the PJ among that lot? 😂😂😂

Sorry what do you mean, a spray to clean electric motors???

The motors seen here all appear to be sealed units like nearly all are at these sizes??

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:36 pm | Top

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:58 pm

They certainly are Andrew.

Regarding the motors,you can see in pics 1 and 3 that there is a square box on the rear of each arm this is where the motor is housed.You can remove the box on each one by taking out four screws to reveal the motor bolted to the arm.It was just me wondering when I took the covers off,if there was anything I could use to clean / protect the motors as there is some black dust I assume from the contacts wearing that I cleaned by hand and brush.Does the motors need anything more or best left alone?

does make the PJ look small don't it

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 270

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:46 pm

If it uses D.C. motors and you can access the Armature easily, then it is good policy to clean up the commutator and inspect / replace the carbon brushes periodically.

But if it uses a.c. motors, which is highly unlikely on one of these, then the only home serviceable parts are the bearings.

Even then, for most small motors these are difficult to access most of the time.

If you are to clean up the commutator on the Armature, use fine grade strip emery cloth to clean it by clamping the Armature safely in a vice and wrap the cloth 3/4 of the way around the commutator, then push and pull using left and right hands on the cloth.

Once the copper shines bright again, turn the commutator through 180 degrees and repeat the process until it all shines like a new one. Inspect the brushes.
If they fall well inside their holders, replace them.

Just a bit btw to your last statement there! 😂😂

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:49 pm | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Get on Gwyn, what film will you be putting onto those?

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks Andrew I'm sure its a DC motor will be giving it a good clean when time allows.

Good question Tom,these two beauties came with the arms,apparently they were used on a cruise liner,they will go well with the others I have the only problem is storage but too good to turn down.
The real problem I have is that when the long play is set up like the picture its all too long,fortunatley both arms could be separated and independantley wired
so at the moment I'm giving thought as to how I can make the whole thing smaller and easier.

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 270

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:49 am

Bump.....this is the monster😀😀

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 270

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team: