Any Regrets?

#1 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:42 pm

I'm sure that we all have made purchases that we regret in regards to films or projectors. But have any of you ever experienced regret by NOT making a purchase of something that has caught your attention? Or perhaps even sold an item that you wish that you had held onto? Recently, I could have bought a 400' digest of "Titanic" (1953) at a buy-it-now price (at a very CHEAP price) and did not pursue it in enough time. :-( I also regret having let go of my 400' digest of "The Amityville Horror" (1979) last year. How about any of you?

Tim Duncan
Last edited Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:45 pm | Top

RE: Any Regrets?

#2 by Eivind Mork , Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:56 pm

Quite often a bit, but no deep regrets. But sometimes it is for the better. I let go of a Donald Duck Chip & Dale that was cheap, but it had some issues. But a month or so later I found a much better copy that was not so expensive either that I bought, and then I stopped regretting it :-)

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:56 pm

I regret already not taking the plunge for Alessandro's fine machine.
I doubt a better example will ever surface again.

Where films are concerned, there are dozens and dozens I've had to overlook what I'd have liked at the time, but of course, you can't buy everything your heart desires and usually it was because I was already committed to one deal or another where films were concerned.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:59 pm | Top

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:02 pm

I wish I bought Star Wars a few years ago. It sold for around 900 dollars, I bid 750 on it. Should have gone higher :-) Paid 500 some GBP for Alien, if I had enough money a few years Back, could have gutten it for around 400 dollar

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Alexander Prell still has a mint print to sell, he reckons.

He wants 1200 euros for it, but as we have seen recently, most of these very steep prices are often drastically cut, when no one is initially forthcoming.

Prints like your Alien, Aliens, Terminator etc etc are all commanding around 400 to 600 pounds nowadays Vidar when in excellent shape, so if yours is, you still haven't been ripped off in any way I'd say.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:08 pm | Top

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Oh, no, not feeling ripped off, just annoyed I didn't pounce on the prints at the time.

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#7 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:59 pm

I wish I'd kept my digest of "Raid on Entebee". It had good color and sound. The editing was very good as well.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Douglas Warren

#8 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:25 pm

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention. However I do look back on some of the features I had in the 90's and wish I still had them.

Del Phillipson

#9 by Stuart Reid , Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:06 pm

I wish I hadn't sold up my entire collection 7 years ago. I've already managed to buy back two of my old prints, hoping I'll amass some more over the coming years.

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#10 by Michael Lattavo , Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:28 am

Del, I love the quote - Sinatra or Pistols version?

"The funny thing about regret is, it's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done. "

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#11 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:32 am

Michael, that is so true, I can look back with much pleasure, the 90's was a great decade for film collecting, Derann prints were at a premium and all very affordable, loads of dealers it's certainly my favourite decade for film collecting

Del Phillipson

#12 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:36 am

Stuart, I did the same in 97, I had amongst others - ALIENS-PREDATOR-THE FOG-HALLOWEEN-THUNDERBALL-GOLDFINGER-SILENCE OF THE LAMBS-DIE HARD-DIE HARD 2, none of which now adorn my collection, but it gives me something to strive to in 2017

Stuart Reid likes this
Del Phillipson

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:18 am

Ouch!! Del.

That is a lot to lose.

Andrew Woodcock

#14 by Tom Photiou , Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:42 am

I wonder if you can guess my biggest mega turn down?
Yes DIE HARD,
also very much regret not purchasing Alien and Aliens, platoon, commando, Predator and Silence of the Lambs. All these are my top wants, and im sure many other peoples to.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:15 am

Because the purple period for purchasing prints (mid to late 90's), when many a collector also parted with their collections, was a period in time when I for a while, switched entirely to digital projection,.. I don't have too many recollections of actually overlooking any print I truly desire.

The only issue I've had since being back, is I couldn't afford all of the ones I've seen and wanted at the very same time.

It's always been a case of the fact I was already purchasing one film or another as to why I haven't purchased all of the ones I've both spotted and desired.

The irony often experienced with film collecting, is you may go months at times seeing very little that actually appeals, then an entire decent collection may come up all at once due to a top collector pulling away from the hobby or due to other reasons such as bereavement very sadly.

Obviously, these collections therefore then always hit the sale marketplace at the very same time, so it is almost impossible at times, for even the best of us, to buy everything that becomes available.

I don't have an issue with this if I'm already tied to buying one film or another.
It's good for the hobby I feel, that much of the quality prints that remain are shared out among the people who compete for such items.

If we have one or two millionaire collectors, it would soon become a hobby for one or two collectors only, within any of the gauges I feel.

It's a good thing I think, that these things naturally get shared out among the guys that remain interested enough to want to actually purchase them.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:32 am | Top

#16 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:03 pm

I forgot, Commando was another print I had, absolutely terrific print it was too.

Del Phillipson

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:15 pm

Nice timing Del!

Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Madagasger Penguins Xmas caper.A question.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor