RE: A question about spending

#26 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:12 pm

I spend about £1000 a year on films,mainly at the film fairs I go to, I used to spend a lot more but have cut back and very rarely use ebay these days, I still look for 16mm titles and recently seem to be buying super 8 features again, I like decent cutdowns too and try to buy nice colour prints, the odd faded one comes home with me if it's something unusual or I've not seen it before but really try not to buy them now, Mark

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Ian White
Mark Mander

#27 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:28 pm

I decided a long time ago that I would not think about how much I spend on the hobbie,the reason being if I can afford the item I would like then I will try and buy it.Like oothers on here I not only collect film but have a varied interest in anything "filmatic",and other interests.
I know there are films that I would like to own but I'm of the opinion now that the price of some films is way out of my league and to have a film which may or may not be worth what one pays for it today,tomorrow,(I doubt it very much)does not sit well with me.I also embrace the other means to watch films,which lets be honest much as one likes to have REAL film it is not the future.I also don't see the point in having thousands of pounds worth of film sitting around,I'm quite happy with what I have,as I do not have time to just watch films.
If I can get a bargain all well and good and as I say if the right film comes along ,I have the money,I buy,but just to keep buying for the sake of it ,sorry that's not for me.📽📽

Ian White likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#28 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:57 pm

I agree with one of your points at least, there Gwyn. I too, see no point at all in simply just buying films (or anything else for that matter), just for the sake of it.

If you're not going to watch them, nor gain the pleasure they all bring to the table, by watching them regularly, there is simply no point in having them to my mind.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Ian White
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:00 pm | Top

#29 by David Skillern , Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:59 pm

I'm not sure what i spend per year on film - it varies - depending on the titles - and what's available - i do know that I bought more 16mm in Blackpool than Super 8 and I also know that another bookcase from Ikea beckons shortly to make room for my newly acquired titles.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Ian White and Eivind Mork
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#30 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:14 am

I can see that to some folk here, anxiety may set in for the fears of not being able to "recoup" the money back from their " investments "over time.

Let's not forget guys, this is simply yet another form of entertainment and enrichment to our lives.

I've been to football matches most of my life, I've been to many many plays and shows.
I've been to Disneyland in Florida, I've bought records, CD's and Dvds and Blu Rays throughout my life.
I've been to hundreds of Concerts and Festivals over my lifetime,
I've even been to the cinema once or twice! 😀😀😀

Never once have I ever got any money back from any of these pleasures.
We spend the money simply to entertain ourselves and enjoy ourselves with these things.

When you get the good fortune that we have witnessed Tim had recently, surely that's just a lovely totally unexpected bonus occasionally, but I don't believe we can ever expect to fully recoup our outlay in life for the money we spend in attempting to entertain and enjoy ourselves.
It's simply money spent for pleasure, with pleasure!

I'd rather spend £100 on a film than £1 on a Premium Bond!
Well that's my view on it anyhow.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Martin Dew
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:21 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Ebay condition descriptions

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor