Stereo sound or dolby processor

#1 by Colin Fish , Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:29 pm

I currently use srereo sound reproduction via a pre-amp into a stereo sound system from my 35mm projector. Do I really need a Dolby processor for the home? A lot of the older prints are just stereo or even mono but later prints have a myriad of sound options so am I missing out? It seems that 16mm has no other options and Super 8mm users are happy with just stereo.

Colin Fish  
Colin Fish
Date registered 10.06.2016
ThankYou 5

RE: Stereo sound or dolby processor

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:48 pm

If you decide for a nice Onkyo with loads of HDMI inputs and Pro Logic II, you will find stereo prints give decent surround sound .. Remember PL II, not just Pro Logic

Martin Dew likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:11 pm

For any stereo print, super 8 or otherwise, to go any further than two channels with sound options is merely a simulation, however the end result is achieved.

Pro logic II merely takes two track stereo and attempts to process it differently for all channels to enable pseudo surround sound over 5 or more channels. This is of course nothing more than processing and simulation though still does give off a little further added enjoyment.

Only by having 5 or more seperate and discrete individual channels, do you begin to really experience the full benefits of surround sound

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:12 pm | Top

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:32 pm

If they have coded it properly, it will give 5 channels. I used PL II on the GameCube and the Tie fighter flies in all five channels. 35mm will give better sound than Super 8. But I get okay surround on my Raiders feature on Super 8 too

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Martin Dew , Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 pm

L+R, L-R, is a bit more than a simulation. It is 4, 4 out after all, and sounds pretty damn good. I like Vidar's PLIIx suggestion. I look forward to trying that. I need to get a two-track projector first, Andrew!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:49 pm

Pro logicII offers the best in my opinion, but I stand by my words, don't expect miracles!

Especially if you are used to listening to Blu Ray!

Take care, many modern amps and loudspeaker systems are really not geared up too well at all to handle old analogue signals too well at all!!

Much damage can very easily be done.
Been there got the T Shirt especially where tweeters are concerned!

There's one there Martin with your name written all over it (PJ).
Just need to buy it now! 😂😂

How can anyone resist????

Martin Dew likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:18 pm | Top

#7 by Stuart Bowling , Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:31 am

Yes tracks that were not encoded, as in starting at 4 channels of sound and then matrix encoded to 2 tracks then decoded back to 4 LCRS via decoder will have varying degrees of success. Some content will sound good and others will sound odd as non of the small gauge formats were ever intended to be anything more than stereo or mono. The Pro logic decoders are looking at phase and amplitude to decide what should go where. So in a nut shell its a crap shoot, but ultimately its what you like that matters in your setup :)

A Dolby Cinema Processor would be overkill, if you have an AVR handy they all pretty much have RCA inputs for stereo and apply your flavor of post processing, watch your levels going in.

Stuart

Martin Dew likes this

Stuart Bowling
Date registered 07.30.2016
home: San Francisco Bay

#8 by Stuart Reid , Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:46 am

As has been mentioned here before, it's worth investigating the use of a good quality equaliser before the signal reaches your modern home cinema amp to remove the very high and low frequencies that contain nothing but noise and as Andrew rightly says, can actually damage modern equipment.

Martin Dew likes this

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#9 by Colin Fish , Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:56 am

Can you recommend a decent equaliser Stuart?

Colin Fish  
Colin Fish
ThankYou 5

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:24 am

I use a relatively inexpensive Behringer FBQ 3102. It has plenty of bands, pro XLR balanced inputs and outputs as well as RCA inputs for those slaving out to rack mounted pro amplication at public places etc etc.
It has feedback detection etc and for the money, I found very good indeed with decent enough build quality, a decent 32 band range and even signal monitoring etc.

Good reliability also from these well built budget models.
They do a better one still the 6202 I think it's termed.

Very nice stereo equalizer in use.

Andrew Woodcock

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:24 am

Posted twice????

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:25 am | Top

#12 by Colin Fish , Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:34 am

Thanks Andrew, that looks very interesting. Will check my anp for pro logic11. Regards, Colin.

Colin Fish  
Colin Fish
ThankYou 5

#13 by Stuart Bowling , Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:04 pm

Yes Behringer have good inexpensive analog stereo mixers as Andrew stated, over here you can get a decent one for under $50. I have a Dolby Processor but I work for them :)

Stuart

Martin Dew likes this

Stuart Bowling
Date registered 07.30.2016
home: San Francisco Bay

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Colour correction filter

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor