Home Cinema Choice - December

#1 by Martin Dew , Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:48 pm

A reader in the December issue of HCC (just out now) named Richard has written a nice letter in the Feedback (readers' letters) section concerning my piece on film collecting in HCC November. He says he agrees about the need for a film PJ in a modern home cinema, and notes that he owns a GS1200 and Elf 16mm himself. Included is a picture of the artwork of his Universal 8 digest of It Came from Outer Space in 3D.

Gosh, wouldn't it be nice if we could have a permanent section in HCC about film? Something I might suggest to the editor...

The following members like this: Ian White and Vidar Olavesen

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

RE: Home Cinema Choice - December

#2 by David Skillern , Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Martin,

im sure you'd get plenty of contributors - if it became a regular section - reviews of prints and technical specs on projectors both 8mm and 16mm and possibly 35mm

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Ian White
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#3 by Ian White , Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:18 pm

I think that would be brilliant. It would give me a reason to take out a full subscription instead of just buying the occasional copy!
You already have a sort of home cinema of the month feature, any chance of a 'film collector of the month ' feature?

I thoroughly enjoyed your piece on film collecting, by the way, and I hope it will have been the first of many more to come.

Martin Dew sais Thank You!
Ian White  
Ian White
Date registered 05.30.2016
ThankYou 8

#4 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Any chance of scans for the 8mm part. Tried to find the magazine, but nowhere round here.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:01 pm

David, I bought it and could therefore possibly put the article here for all to see.
But and it is a big but for the time being at least, this is still the current release and I doubt the publisher's would be too pleased whilever it is still on sale at the very least David!

I'd need Martin's advice before proceeding David with this one.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:03 pm | Top

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 pm

Going back to Martin's initial point with all of this today, I for one would be absolutely thrilled and delighted to see a regular small column devoted to "traditional" home cinema in the magazine regularly.

If you ever need a 708el review Martin, I'm your man!!

Ian White likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#7 by Ian White , Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:20 pm

What about your Disney collection and art-work, Andrew? That would make for a very interesting and inspiring 'meet this month's real film collector' article. And I know there are enough prolific collectors on this forum to fill such a spot for years to come.

Ian White  
Ian White
ThankYou 8

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:21 pm

Well I'm not sure about that Ian but I appreciate your generous words my friend. :))

The 708 review.. now that I'd love to do! 😀😀

I agree, there are still plenty in the hobby to be able to make another armchair odeons edition in theory though. Nice thought I suppose. Mmmm

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:23 pm | Top

#9 by Ian White , Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:46 pm

I, for one, would be very interested to read reviews of as many models of machine, in all gauges, as possible.. it sure beats having to find stuff out the hard and expensive way when considering the purchase of a machine.

At the moment I am looking for a super 8 machine and am also seriously considering 35mm. Finding objective reviews of machines in either gauge is not easy and I have often thought it would be great if we had a definitive guide to the 'modern' or contemporary film collecting scene , here on the forum.

At the same time I have at the back of my mind the possible dangers of promoting collecting in the larger gauges as, unlike 8mm which has hundreds of titles released and licensed for home use legitimately, the same might not be true of material in other gauges.

Ian White  
Ian White
ThankYou 8

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Good points there Ian, regarding the collecting of 35mm in particular.

Let me know what reviews of what Super 8mm projectors you'd like btw.
I've collected many over the years and what I don't have, I am certain others here would.

For some machines, I have many different reviews for the very same machine to give a full spectrum of perspective from many different users and professional reviewers alike.

Ian White sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:09 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Artwork for

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor