Grease. Derann Full Scope feature re recorded in stereo.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Without going into the story, (you would need to come from Mars if you dont know it), this was a feature i originally bought Flat/Marketing from Ian @ Perry's, unfortunately it had to go back as there was a full reel missing. A quick question on the other forum resulted in a kind member informing me the Steve of the Reel image had a copy for sale, i emailed my request and he had a Derann scope full feature, mounted onto two Elmo 1200ft spools and re recorded into stereo giving the music in particular a superior quality and it is A1. The cost was $200 when the pound was around 1.60 so i did very well.
This has to be one of the very best quality scope prints put out by Derann and it's up there with all the other 80s releases for image quality on LPP polyester stock. These images taken during projection tonight simply do not do it any justice. Just one or two small negative marks here and there,this was in the original release review to. Worth every cent. The previous owner had done a great job in the re recording to.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Graham Sinden, Vidar Olavesen, Gwyn Morgan and David Ollerearnshaw

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 09.03.2016 | Top

RE: Grease. Derann Full Scope feature re recorded in stereo.

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:24 pm

Simply a stunner there Tom from the best possible era of the Derann movie factory!
LPP, Brown pre striped stock, Stereo recording made post production..just perfect matey!😊😊

Let me know if you ever want to make a lot of money out of it. I'd far prefer this print, personally, than any Star Wars film.

That's just me and musicals of course. Ha ha.

What a joint musical film week we could all have what with Vidar's Viva Las Vegas and now this!

I'd chip in with GPB or Clam Jane!😁😁

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:30 pm | Top

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:06 pm

Very nice Tom! $200 was very fair considering how much films like this are fetching now!

Timothy Duncan

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:27 pm

Very fair....That's like saying J.Paul Getty wasn't short of a few bob, Timothy!!! 😂😂😂😂

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:29 pm | Top

#5 by Eivind Mork , Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:30 pm

Superb print!

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#6 by Graham Sinden , Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:28 am

You certaintly have some gems in your collection Tom. Im enjoying your reviews.

Graham S

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#7 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:44 am

Well o.k., it was a steal!

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:25 am | Top

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:48 am

Andrew Woodcock

#9 by Tom Photiou , Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 am

Thank you Graham. Many more reviews on the way now we are working through the whole collection. We estimate it will take up to 12/18 monthes. How you chaps with thousands of films keep on top of your collections.
Looking back now this one was a steel. Fuunt to think i almost changed my mind.i dont mind a good musical on the
big screen. I certainly no longer watch this film on tv any more. One i would like to get is of course singing in the rain but i would like a good later print.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#10 by Michael Lattavo , Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Wow, what a great print! Better than my 16 flat, that's for sure!! And in stereo to boot!

Tom Photiou likes this

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#11 by Alan Rik , Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:39 am

This was one of the few prints I purchased new from Derann and the sound was the dreaded grey stripe. Reel 7 was warbly and kept cutting out so I sent it back. I got it back and it was almost the same. It was costing me a pretty penny sending it from the US to the UK so I just lived with it. The majority of the sound is pretty good but there is still that scene after the car race where she starts singing and the sound is less than perfect-

Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

Last edited 09.06.2016 | Top

#12 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:21 am

Thats a shame Alan. I wonder if thats why the previous owner had mine re recorded, i took a look at the original film review in an old fftc magazine and tberes no mention of a sound fault.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:52 am

There never was Tom!
It had just become the unmentionable issue on the reviews once pre striped stock dried up, despite everyone knowing it was often a lottery as to what you received from one print to another where the sound and stripe was concerned.

I don't think I possess one later print from Derann that couldn't be vastly improved upon where the sound department is concerned, when first received.

You were lucky with this one of yours having a print already with hard work done to it. Some pay over $300 extra to have people like Lance work their magic over their favourite prints.
Musicals both especially benefit from a decent recording but also show up any misdemeanour to the track or recording to a far greater extent than the spoken word

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 am | Top

#14 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:25 pm

Must admit that is a gorgeous print, it would take pride of place in most people's collection. If I had a Singin In The Rain (Derann version) I'd gladly do a swap Tom

Tom Photiou likes this
Del Phillipson

#15 by Dave Alligan , Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:09 pm

I got Derek the 35mm for Grease for which the Super 8 prints come from, this literaly was a brand new 35mm print as it had only been shown a few times, when I told Derek that I had it and would he like to borrow it for super 8 purposes you can imagine what he said, at first he brought out the summer nights extract then the full feature and it was in stereo, I rerecorded my print in stereo again as its always better when its done in real time.

Deranns stripe was very hit or miss, sometimes it was perfect to record on and sometimes it was like a ploughed field, my favourite to record on was the laminate stripe that was used on acetate prints, you could get a perfect recording as the stripe was perfectly flat all the time.

The first reel of my print of "the World Is Not Enough" (007) was shown at the BFCC in the late 1990's and the sound was used as well and Keith told me that the recording was stunning, and that is praise indeed.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Vidar Olavesen
Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

Last edited 09.06.2016 | Top

#16 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:02 pm

In that case David it's you who we must say thank you to for this film being released on 8. For us it was literally just being in the right place at the right time.
Unfortunatly i'm still keeping everything crossed for a sensible priced Die Hard.
This scope grease feature was originally supplied from Derann on 7 400ft spools, i thought this was odd as most of their bit releases were mounted onto 600 fts.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#17 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:53 pm

Tom,

There was 2 reasons why Grease came out on 400' spools and not 600's, firstly it was quicker making a neg and sound master from the original length 35mm parts, and secondly if any Paramount employee saw it for sale, it had the same number of reels as the old Marketing print, thus could be passed of as that release (if you know what I mean!).

The following members like this: Dave Alligan and Tom Photiou
Barry Attwood

#18 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Nice one Barry, there were no flies on Derek

Del Phillipson

#19 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:56 pm

Del,

You're right there, Derek was the true businessman who just happened to love films, what a combination, now so sadly missed!

Barry Attwood

#20 by Tom Photiou , Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks for that info Barry,
Yep he certainly is missed, once he sadly passed away that was literally nails in the coffin for Super 8.
Although it went on for a number of years the film business knowledge that Derek had for doing deals with the movie big wigs was no longer there. By a mile.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Goldeneye Promo. Tina Turner/ Inner Space Trailer.
Gremlins, 1200ft stereo colour Sound. Derann Release

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor