How stupid could I possibly be?

#1 by Eivind Mork , Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:54 pm

This is a story about how incredibly stupid I showed up to be last weekend. At least it will give someone a good laughter as I show my bad judgement and inexperience.

Oh well: I had bought a Super 8 film that showed up to be rewinded. The last user had just put the takeup-reel in the box and forgot to rewind. I had just one free reel of at least this size which was my own takeup-reel (I have two others, but they were home and this was at my cabin). I needed two to get it spooled back in the right direction on the reel it came with.

Then I got my "brilliant" plan: Couldn't I just rewind it onto a 16mm reel and make sure the film was tightly fit onto one side? If I was careful, it should work. Well. It did for a while. But when I was almost done, the film fell from the top onto the wrong side. And then it happened again with more film, and yet another time. And before I could manage to explaining to myself how stupid I had been, the reel looked like this:

The film had crossed its own path several times. So the "end" of the film was there inside some place covered with a lot of film from further into the film. The film also ripped off at one place as it jammed. It took me one hour to fix this mess. I tried to be as careful as I could. I don't think I made too many stripes. I didn't even want to know, so I used Filmguard on it before I watched it. It didn't look bad. The film had damages to the sprocket holes a few places, but I don't think I made them. I lost two frames where I spliced it.

I guess I am one of very few that even considered doing such a stupid thing, but if there are some of you out there that suddenly get the idea to use a 16mm reel just to fix a rewinding problem on Super 8 and think that it will work if you are careful, then DON'T.

That's all from the entertaining department in Oslo!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Gwyn Morgan
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Last edited 08.20.2016 | Top

RE: How stupid could I possibly be?

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Don't feel badly Eivind. Your idea made sense. I once received a 16mm film on a core. I only had one empty reel to mount the film on. I had to wind it off of the core onto a partially filled reel first (this was before I got a proper takeup reel for the machine). But I didn't have quite enough space for it and this was done on the machine, as I didn't have rewinds. The film spilled off and became a curly mess! It took awhile to straighten it out. I eventually got the film onto the intended reel, but it was a headache! It just goes to show that you can never have too many empty reels lying around. They have come in useful when I wanted to transfer an 8mm film off of a rusty metal reel onto a lighter weight and better looking plastic one.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen
Timothy Duncan
Last edited Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:23 pm | Top

#3 by Eivind Mork , Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:28 pm

What I could have done was to lay the 16mm reel flat. Then it might work. But then I couldn't use my rewinders.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#4 by Michael Lattavo , Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:29 pm

I did something similar with a 16mm film when I first got my powered rewind - went way too fast lost control, and ended up with spaghetti!

Eivind Mork likes this

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Once, I was watching an 8mm film without a care in the world. I didn't realize that the take-up spindle had stopped moving. The film was moving through the gate & past the lens just fine. When I looked back at the machine to see how much time the movie had left, my film was in a pile on the floor!

Eivind Mork likes this
Timothy Duncan

#6 by Eivind Mork , Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:49 pm

I remember that happening when I was at school too and we heard a outcry from our teacher as she realized what happened :-) I remember we all thought it was hilarious! I have tried that since myself too.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Eivind,nice idea don't be put off by small mishaps these things happen.
Something along those lines happened to me but it was with 35 mm film which came of a rewind plate and film went all over the projection room floor and that I can assure you is a right nightmare needless to say I did not finish on time that night 😀😀📽📽

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Mats Abelli

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What burst bubble?...Not yet anyhow!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor