What burst bubble?...Not yet anyhow!

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:36 pm

Jungle Book I've just seen, is currently up for grabs at £390 and still has 5 hours left to run!

It certainly doesn't appear that any bubble has burst just yet, regarding sought after good quality Super 8mm prints!

This is of course despite many long term collectors clearly pulling away from the film collecting hobby and community. Plenty of choice right now!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:47 pm | Top

RE: What burst bubble?...Not yet anyhow!

#2 by Paul Browning , Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:00 pm

I think this could be another Mary Poppins price Andrew, if you remember, near the £500 mark, that's Ebay for you, the fever takes over and you can get carried away, its a "jungle" out there.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 pm

I see the Lion King expectedly, fetched over £300 just now also. Actually, I'd have thought being a four reeler instead of a three, and given the popularity of this one in particular, I was expecting it to fetch even more if I'm honest.

As you say Paul, eBay is just totally unpredictable, even at the best of times.

Mary has been offered twice since to my knowledge, and didn't fetch the sum asked, despite it being somewhat less than the £500 one that sold.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:44 pm | Top

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:32 pm

JB now at £400!! Still 2hrs to go.

£122 finish price for the 400ft excerpt from Pearl Harbour can't go without mention here also!

Paul Browning likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 pm | Top

#5 by Paul Browning , Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Oh my god, what a price for an extract, summer madness for sure, the mini heat wave has gone to there heads, fare play to the seller though no doubt a happy bunny today.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Last edited 08.18.2016 | Top

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:58 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Given the popularity of this one here tonight, I feel a full review coming along for this in the next few days!

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142079453895?_...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I gotta say, given my avatar, of course it's a firm favourite of mine too, as well as this new proud owner, of course!

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:30 am | Top

#7 by Graham Sinden , Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:07 am

Yes I also saw that Pearl Harbor and I bought mine new from Derann for £49.99. Seems like a bargain now. I'm not altogether surprised as this is what the market is, just like in property and paintings etc. in this post Derann post Perry's world etc. where prints now are not so easy to come by. These ebay buyers are not nutters, just film lovers like us, who have always wanted this film but find the chances of owning it are proving more difficult with many dealers closing and are prepared to treat themselves to get one of their wanted films and are not too worried if they pay over the odds as they might never get another chance. As I say they just love film and want to see it up on the big (scope) screen. Im afraid this is the current situation and is now the norm. Talking of property if you wanted to buy a tiny 1 bedroom apartment in london it will cost you at least £400000 (ouch). Where demand outstrips supply, prices will go up naturally. One massive difference between property and films is that new houses and flats are still being built, whereas films are no longer printed so common sense will tell you these will go up in value. Sorry to be so blunt. It does make you realise that films bought years ago are a very good investment if you wanted to make your money grow, better than leaving it in a savings account with 0.02% interest.

I am glad of course I purchased loads of films at much better prices over the years and have a very good film collection. I feel sorry for new collectors starting out today as they never will get the chance of ordering new prints from Derann like I did or looking down their email lists seeing all top titles reasonably priced (plus also Perrys). Thank goodness we still have independent 8 from Barry.

Graham S

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Ian White
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 08.19.2016 | Top

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:18 am

Great words of Wisdom there Graham, and ultimately, thank goodness our once lost and treasured catch up on our "most wanted" prints are slowly, but surely emerging!

Gives us all chance to catch up on what we lost out on once by holidaying in Ibiza, Majorca, Menorca, Crete, teneriffe etc etc etc etc!
The list is endless...............Just like Derann film releases!

Happy Days Eh! both then and now!

As frankie Valli once said....Oh What A life! Or was that the Gibson Brothers!! pmsl

I've always done things back to front!

Graham Sinden sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:11 am | Top

#9 by Graham Sinden , Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:51 am

I just wonder if one day someone will buy that Alien 400ft for £200. Gotta happen sometime

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:08 am

You never Know Graham??? Ha ha ha

To be fair though Graham, and going back to your earlier point here, it proves there arn t too many nut cases buying because the prints that are highly likely to have deteriorated now, are not the ones people out there are paying the bucks for.

It's as you said,..the ones we are all, as collectors, are playing catch up with here.
They are the ones that continue to astonish us all here. The ones which when found, could still have a chance of looking like a new print, like what Eivind discovered here recently.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:08 am | Top

#11 by Ian White , Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Well guys, I'm more or less convinced that I've 'come back' to the hobby too late.
As you say in your respective posts, prices are crazy and top titles are like hen's teeth. I can't help but feel Graham is right when he says the folks who are paying the mega bucks for these e-bay items are just collectors who want to see top titles/favourites in 'scope on the big (ish) screen.
And you are certainly right when you say that newcomers like myself have no option but to pay the price if we want the quality stuff. And it's somewhat depressing.

I have read what you all have been saying about film prices and have read stock lists from as many suppliers as I have been able to find, and have been somewhat uninspired by what is available on both 8mm and 16mm. Lots of old stuff that could loosely be described as classics and just the odd 'gem' every so often.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but if others are finding the collecting scene as difficult to navigate as I am, there"s little wonder they are prepared to pay the inflated prices for a quality offering like the jungle book.

I see someone is selling Mickey's Christmas carol on e-bay now. Its already at £62 quid and there's still 9 days to run.
Before the auction ends I'll either have defected to the dark side or I'll be in there with them. I can't resist Disney colour and animation with the old cell stop-motion and parallax camera techniques.

I also can't resist cinemascope ( or any widescreen for that matter). I was there queuing round the block when my local cinema hosted the Hateful Eight 70mm road show
and was among the hundreds who thrilled to the spectacle of real film on the 13m wide screen. It was superb.

Real film to me is not only nostalgia. It's an art form. it represents vital stages in technological progress and it gave pleasure to millions over the years. Its about projectors and the tactile feel of film. Its about the ambience of an auditorium , the shared experience and the awesome spectacle of a moving picture on a giant screen.
So it wouldn't be an easy decision to go with the unmentionable .

I don't have your experience of film collecting and would probably make buying mistakes that you guys wouldn't. I'm not trying to defend high prices - indeed, from my point of view I don't want to be priced out of the market and would love the bubble to burst. But I don't see that it will, because as you all rightly point out, no-one releases small format film anymore and there are too many of us chasing too few examples.

I do apologise for rambling on somewhat!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Graham Sinden and Mats Abelli
Ian White  
Ian White
Date registered 05.30.2016
ThankYou 8

#12 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:56 pm

We love ramblings about film :-)

I do agree on The Hateful Eight, it was amazing and I only got to see it once the proper way (outsold very quickly) and seen it twice on the dreaded format.

Any particular things you look for there? Try asking Mr. David Guest, he's got a lot of films for sale. I got several from my favorite era from him lately. I enjoy 70's and 80's films and got gems like Fletch, Cujo and a few more

Put your wishes in the posts about films you look for, you might get lucky

Ian White likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#13 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:06 pm

It's a depressing thought Ian, this last few days have opened my eyes a bit and that if you want the A list titles you are going to have to pay dearly for them. I nearly bid on Lion King but it went over what I was prepared to pay before I actually bid (sod it I'll buy the unmentionable), I was going to bid on Great Escape but that went for £113.00, again way more than I am prepared to pay, the trouble is, when you look it's not one person out there bidding they have friends and its a bidding fest. I think I'll be steering clear of ebay for buying in future and will try and support both dealers and as many conventions as I can get to. The hobby is changing and it's good if you have a large collection but it's not so good for anyone trying to get into the hobby. As said before, I'm happy with what I have and what I don't have I'll get on other formats.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Ian White and Mats Abelli
Del Phillipson

#14 by Tom Photiou , Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:37 pm

i know what my thoughts are but i wont put them all on here.
If i was just starting out on the hobby or just coming back into it i would take one look at the film prices & instead would invest on a top range digi set up, i know it isnt film, i know it's simply no where near the same but you have to be realistic and you have to live in the real world where money is needed to pay bills and just live. Therefore the digi gauge is a superb alternative & if the DVD/Blu ray disc had been invented instead of the VHS video i am convinced that it would have killed super 8 many many years before. If you remember Derek Simmons often told people to sell there cine and invest in VHS because he thought that was the way forward. Fortunately he was wrong at that point, BUT, if it had been the disc and the technology of today's quality had been there in the early 80s instead of the 90s then in my own opinion many more cine collectors would have gone over leaving only a select few behind. We are happy also that we have a pretty good collection and got it when we did, i paid £30 for my Pearl Harbour, i most certainly would not pay any more even now. Its an extract, (a darn good one as well).
As for over 500 for Casablanca and into the thousands for a few other titles, i just think these people who pay it are simply nutters, whether they are collectors or not,(millionaires excluded as cash is no object), at the end of the day 16mm feature films are cheaper with many more titles around most not on 8 and at the end of the day, it's reel film,

Ian White likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 08.19.2016 | Top

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Great points spoken there Ian, Del, Tom and of course Vidar.

It seems it's the Derann Super 8mm stuff that is tipping the scales more than anything else. I suppose if you can avoid these, there is still a chance of other goodies in both 8mm but particularly 16mm where prices really do vary.

I, personally, don't mind at all, paying what these cost in the first place if they have been kept very very well. I won't pay 3 times what they were new, but I can quite understand from a sellers perspective, that if you've done your bit right, and looked after these things for many many decades now, and knowing now, that they are no longer available, then I can fully understand why old time collectors are not prepared to virtually give these things away. why should they whilever there are people playing catch up still?

As people know here, I am huge fan of collecting quality Super 8mm Disney prints. i am now a the stage where i am beginning to duplicate certain prints just to ensure I have at least one perfect print of all the titles i am interested in.

There will be some prints like these that I will be prepared to make available to our collecting community here in the future. So if Disney in the future is what you're seeking, just keep a look out here from time to time.

I will more than likely be making at least one Mickey's Christmas Carol print available sometime in the next few months. It won't be mint as I have had to wait a very long time to find the ones that are, but it will be very very good indeed and will have a better stereo track than the original by far!

I won't be expecting ebay prices for it either.

Ian White likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:52 pm | Top

#16 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:02 pm

There is cheap stuff out there, if you don't mind some splices, sometimes fade and stripes. The Scandinavian 16mm features are often in the 10 to 20 GBP range. Most of my Danish trip finds was in that range, a couple of exceptions like The Towering Inferno scope, was about 80 GBP or so. It did seem a bit faded, but haven't run it yet. Nordic meeting on October 1st in Oslo :-) More goodies I hope

The following members like this: Ian White and Mats Abelli

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Of course, with film, as with any other collectable item, it is all about condition condition.

Any item near mint, will always come with a premium price tag unless your name is lucky Eivind!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:58 pm | Top

#18 by Ian White , Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:21 pm

Thank you very much Vidar, Del, Tom and Andrew ( cast in order of appearance ).

You have cheered me up no end. I was in danger of descending in to the slough of despond but your excellent points have given me fresh inspiration.
I don't know what your respective backgrounds are but it is blindingly obvious that there is a wealth of expertise here.
In an effort not to appear too dumb and clueless I have been delving in to the past-posts to try and fill in some of the enormous gaps in my knowledge
but there is an awful lot of stuff to wade through!

I have sent an e-mail to David Guest and I will indeed post my wants in the relevant sections.
I note that there is a second collectors convention ( BFCC ) later this year and I intend to attend, ( not least to witness super 8 on a 24ft screen ), in the hope of acquiring some decent stuff.

I have to agree with Andrew that it just isn't fair to expect a seasoned collector to part with a quality print for peanuts, and if money was no object I would be prepared to pay the going rate. Unfortunately I have the governor of the bank of England posing as my partner and £500 quid for something that could be had on media from the dark side for £!5 would be very difficult to justify and would, at the very least , spark a tit-for-tat spending spree.

Governor of the bank of England notwithstanding, I will be joining the scrum for the Mickey's Christmas Carol when Andrew decides to release it!

Cheers Guys.

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Ian White  
Ian White
ThankYou 8

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:33 pm

As your words of an initial down hearted nature really pulled on my heart strings Ian, I shall offer this print out to your good self first Ian. It won't cause you to end up in the divorce courts I promise and you will have it before Christmas i can equally promise.

I have experienced exactly the same feelings of despondency as you currently are on many many occasions of being around film and projectors. we all need a little inspiration at times to keep us all interested.

I just need to establish which I want to keep and which I feel i will no longer be needing in any eventuality.

I feel it is important in this world of ours, to ensure all our collecting friends here get their hands on something to keep them all interested in this wonderful, but often, mega expensive and patience defeating hobby of ours, at times.

Keep the faith buddy!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork
Ian White sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:37 pm | Top

#20 by Ian White , Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:16 pm

Andrew, that's absolutely brilliant! Thank you very much!

Ian White  
Ian White
ThankYou 8

#21 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:41 pm

There are also hundreds if not thousands of decent quality 200 footers out there that won't break the bank to obtain.
Let's face it, for newcomers to hobby, this is where we all started and in my particular case, I was perfectly contented watching 50ft silent b/ w films on a tiny screen for a few years at least.

That's where my fascination began and obviously as your interest continues, so does the amount you are comfortable on spending on such things, also increases, just as with any hobby.

If you iike watching full length movies on the big screen, unlike years ago, there is now a cheap viable alternative method of doing so, but this needn't mean anyone need lose interest in collecting real film even if it is only trailers and shorts.

Why not combine the two for your film shows?

Loads were released in the later Derann years, nearly all those should still look like new! 😊

It doesn't have to be an overwhelmingly expensive hobby, even collecting some of the best prints ever made.

When I was a kid, I couldn't afford LPs out of my pocket money, but it didn't stop me collecting and enjoying records, just the LPs!😂😂

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:48 pm | Top

#22 by Tom Photiou , Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Besides all this, you can still also win some gems on ebay, me recent find of Lost in Space on 3 x 400ft b/w, (reviewed on here), is positive proof. I never expected it to go so cheap nor did i expect it to be a as good as is. I was very luck and in my view this item is a lot more rare than the Derann movies, in over 35 years of collecting i have never seen it come up on any lists but i knew it was out there somewhere.
Keep your eyes peeled.

By the way, have i mentioned i am still looking out for Die Hard

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Graham Sinden

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Happy birthday Mats

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor