How do you choose which film to watch?

#1 by Eivind Mork , Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:36 am

I just wondered how you choose which film to watch. Do you just browse the collection at random, or do you make sure to get through the collection regularily. I guess that would depend on the size of the collection. I have prints I only have watched once or twice but others I have seen a lot. When it comes to features (I don't have many), I try to circulate a bit more so I don't watch the same too often.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 404

RE: How do you choose which film to watch?

#2 by Ian Partridge , Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:30 pm

Obituaries.

It is a great reason to show a film from my collection when someone who acted or worked on it passes away:

Gilbert Taylor, Cinematographer

I usually run Cecil B De Milles' 'King of Kings' each year on Good Friday.

Here's my suggestion for the group:

Marnie Nixon, 86

Paid $420 dollars ghosting fee and told never to divulge, otherwise she would never work in Hollywood again, while Deborah Kerr was nominated for an Academy Award in 1956 as Anna in 'The King and I'. The soundtrack record sold hundreds of thousands of copies.

Ian

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

Last edited 08.04.2016 | Top

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:35 pm

I just get a feeling ... Today I want to see ... and pick that. When I return, I will have some 30 films to watch. Look forward to The Towering Inferno, 16mm scope

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Eivind Mork

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:28 pm

I haven't run into this dilemma too often as I've only seen most of what I have only once. First of all, I decide whether I will watch something that is silent or has a soundtrack. Then I decide on standard 8 or super 8. Then I have to choose the appropriate machine. As of late, I choose according to what will possibly be of interest to members here and will provide some fun screenshots. :-)
If I had a larger collection like some of my friends here, it would certainly be harder to choose. If I'm feeling blue, I like to go for the comedies or something light-hearted.

I still have a little backlog of films not viewed yet. Those get priority usually.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen
Timothy Duncan
Last edited Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:36 pm | Top

#5 by Michael Lattavo , Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:48 pm

For me, it generally depends on time and children! Some nights I'll be downstairs with the kids, and the 3yr old will ask to watch some old black and white Popeyes and to "feed the machine" (I've been teaching him how to thread the 16mm), which will then lead to my 6yr old asking for some "spaceship stuff" - super 8 Battlestar Galactica digest, Buck Rogers, etc. - then its back and forth between the two machines, until Mom calls us back upstairs!

On a rainy weekend afternoon I'll through on a cartoon feature for the kids. For outside shows I generally do a double feature - Disney for the kids, then put them to bed, then something for the adults.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#6 by Eivind Mork , Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:52 pm

This sounds very familiar! :-) I usally see some cartoons with my 9 year old boy. And later in the evening I sometimes see a feature with my wife. There is just one livingroom in the cabin, so I can't occupy it with my hobby all the time, so mostly I see cartoons. My son usually chooses the same ones (with Road Runner as a favorite), but I try to distribute it a little bit more.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 404

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:52 pm

I love those TV shows too. A big Galactica fan. Good choices Michael

Eivind Mork likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#8 by Eivind Mork , Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Yes, that can be fun. I don't have many. An episode of Bonanza in b/w Super 8 and one of the Streets of San Francisco in color 16mm which is quite good. I have an episode of MASH on my wish list. That should not be to difficult to get sometime.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 404

#9 by David Skillern , Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:35 pm

When I acquire a new print which over the last couple of weeks since i bought my 16mm projector - i have been buying 16mm features - 8 so far - so I have been watching those . The bulk of my collection is Super 8 which fills at least 10 shelves doubled up - so as i said on an earlier post - i need to catalogue my 8mm collection into features, abridged features, cutdowns and shorts - to be honest sometimes it is only on holidays that i have the time to watch some prints - especially the long classics like Dr Zhivago, Ben Hur and Gone with the Wind - but usually it's whatever takes my fancy and as i said time .

Eivind Mork likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#10 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Since I'm the only one in the household that watches film, it depends upon my mood. I usually watch twice and most three times a month. That helps me to stretch my smallish collection out over time. The past two weekends were the most film watched ones in a long time!

Eivind Mork likes this
Douglas Warren

#11 by Eivind Mork , Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:36 pm

That is about the same amount as me as I watch film at the cabin. Not very practical at home. It makes it more fun too as it is a bit special. Already looking forward to watching film this weekend!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 404

#12 by Panayotis Carayannis , Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:47 am

Like Vidar,I just get the feeling....

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen
Panayotis Carayannis  
Panayotis Carayannis
Date registered 12.05.2015
ThankYou 48

#13 by Eivind Mork , Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:44 am

I don't have a large collection at all compared to many of you, but I have already realized I might forget about cool films I have as many of them have quite anonymous covers. I must improve my organization of the films. But I have also thought about logging when I have seen a film last so I can some times look for films I haven't seen in a while.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 404

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Anyone here going to CHC summer sale tomorrow?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor