THE END OF AN ERA IS NIGH !

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:01 pm

At the moment I am thinking of calling it a day with FILM and FILM COLLECTING in general.
It's losing its magic for me after around 50 years of collecting. I cant really be bothered now.
So it looks like I will going over to the ( D ) word for projection in the near future.
There are some reasons for this one of them is that most of " The Old-Timers " have gone or
are about to go from the Film Collecting scene.
Most of the new "kids on the block" leave a lot to be desired...so I will be off quite soon.
I will still be keeping touch with my small select group of friends outwith the internet though.
Watch this space !!!

The following members like this: Michael Lattavo and Gwyn Morgan
David Hardy
Last edited Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:02 pm | Top

RE: THE END OF AN ERA IS NIGH !

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Well that is very sad news David. I thought film would be in the veins for life?

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Eivind Mork , Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:10 pm

As someone that has just (re)discovered the wonderful world of film projection, I am sorry to hear that. I hope you keep your collection in case you change your mind! I for one, would sure miss your knowledge here in the forum if you choose to leave the hobby!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:12 pm

David ,its August 1st right not April 1st.............its a joke right?????

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Eivind..I said I may be giving up on the hobby.
I hope to still be around on this Forum for quite some time yet.
I know a couple of members would like to see the back of me for good.
So that's just "TUFF TITTY !!!".... on them.
I will be keeping my collection for a while yet in order to cash in on the silly
film prices being asked for some Super 8mm Feature Film titles I have at a later date.

The problem I have is with some of these "new kids on the block " is that they know nothing really.
Leach off of your knowledge like blood sucking parasites that they are.
Then go around all puffed up and big headed with a cocky attitude like some kind of film
guru claiming such hidden knowledge was their own in the first place.

I say to them you cant get a half century experience from any internet site or film forum.
So don't try it on with me sonny boy.
I am the MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES and can see right through your games.

Paul Browning likes this
Vidar Olavesen does not like this!
David Hardy
Last edited Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:35 pm | Top

#6 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Gwyn ... I am not joking my friend.
I shall be devoting more of my finances and time to my other more serious interests.
Even going to ( D ) Projection is only going to have secondary status in my life.
50 years in the hobby is more than enough for me.
Meantime I will be keeping my equipment and films including some 35mm for an
rare outing but that will be it.
I will still stay on in ADMIN in the meantime until I decide otherwise.

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
David Hardy

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:22 pm

Good for you David!

Andrew Woodcock

#8 by Paul Browning , Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:48 pm

I can understand your reasons behind this David, I get frustrated by the "bandwagon" sheep who want to be" in with the in crowd" for no other reason than they might be missing something, like the people who constantly purchase the latest phone, so they can say they have one. I know the likes of yourself will not come along again, those who have worked
in and enjoyed what they do and extended that knowledge to there hobby even after the film reels finish turning. I look forward to the no nonsense answers from you guy's (Hugh and Robert) and will miss that from yourself mate really will. I hope you will hang on for as long as you can tolerate the bull **** some talk, a very sanitised forum is heading our way i fear, being nice and friendly is one thing, but listening and saying nothing for fear of upsetting someone is another, hold out David we are not all "gobshites".

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:56 pm

So who is then Paul?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with having a friendly informative and entertaining forum without controversy on day to day basis. I hope all our members think along those lines if at all possible.

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:58 pm

Blimey David, i know how you feel, we almost decided to pull out a few months ago. We are committed for a few years yet especially now we have bought a new lens for the Elf and my Elmo has had a full workout and i will be ready to send the next one off when possible. Only yesterday my Brother said we have Star Wars sat on a shelf, last viewed 4 years ago, do you think we should see what we can get for it, my reply was simply, Once it's gone its gone but it'l be his decision. Seeing films go up for start prices just because "they are Derann" and plugging it at £500 plus is just simply insane.

You gives me loads of laughs David and your life in film projection and collecting with all the knowledge of years of collecting is very valuable to us all. I shall say to you what i said to Hugh,
"dont let other people put you off" , bollocks to em all, i for one,(of many), would be sad to see you go however, you have said you'll be around for some time yet so thats great.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 08.01.2016 | Top

#11 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:14 pm

I do understand David as I strongly considered doing the same at the beginning of the year. It's truly a niche hobby in today's world. I don't watch "reel film" as often as some members do (or have the chance to do so.) But that actually works best since it makes each film watching session more special.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Tom Photiou
Douglas Warren

#12 by Paul Browning , Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:25 pm

SO who is Andrew ??, any one who talks shit that's who. To echo Tom's sentiment Bollocks to them, they don't know who they are, but they do pop up from time to time talking shite.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#13 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Doug that is very true. I have always tried to nip into the film room even if to put on a 200 footer on a daily basis.
One of my Elmo's has been out of action for a bit while it's going through its bits and bobs so we revived the 16mm and i found this to be a whole different ball game and i love the big projectors.
Having not watched too many 8s for a while it does make it more of a treat when we do put something on.
We have decided soon to try and view our whole collection, (where i will put on as many images/short reviews as i can), which will take a long time, after this time is when we will decide to either keep it all, or reduce it by a fair margin. Those crazy prices will not hold for that many years i dont think.
It's not anything to do with money, over the years we have spent fortunes and have loved every foot of celluloid we have acquired over the years.
Seeing so many people on ebay stating, "selling my Dad/Grandads old collection, i have no idea about its condition and have no interest in film myself" makes me feel very sorry for those poor sods who have collected all their lifetimes just for them to end up on ebay with such insensitive comments.

At 54 there are still many mnay years left in it for me and my Brother, (who is now a very young 60).

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#14 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:41 pm

David,ok not April 1st,I totally see where you are comming from.When I thought about what you said I realised I too had been at this for 50 odd years or so,like you we have seen it all in the reel cinema,right up to the present digital presentation.As has been said before there really aint no going back and anyone who thinks different may well be in for a long wait.I am quite happy with the films I have and will now only buy if the price is right and the film is right.
As i still work in the cinema I am happy to embrace all forms of the medium,and to this end my home cinema will play any format of film or other medium format,especially now that the silly price of reel film is getting out of hand.
I appreciate that this forum is dedicated to reel film only and I shall not rock this boat but personally the world is going forward and we have to go with it.This is a hobby with a lot of nostalga attached to it but at the end of the day reel film is finished except for the odd outing by those who can afford it.
I hate to say it but none of us are getting any younger and just what are you going to do with all theses plastic cans and reels?????
Still glad you are staying here for the forseeable future

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:54 pm

I honestly do not know exactly Paul who you are aiming those comments at here. Personally, I find all who I chat with here, both friendly and informative.
Hugh used to have a pop at me now and again, but that's just Hugh being his lovable self. A man with a very big heart and an even bigger set of opinions on all things in life. A true larger than life character who is sorely missed. His knowledge on this hobby was second to none when he was here.

Nowadays Paul, things are very quiet here by and large I'd say, and I really don't see anyone saying anything that is way off the radar personally.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Mats Abelli
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:56 pm | Top

#16 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Which reminds me Gwyn, Thank you very much for the rewind arms, i am currently hoping to get them adapted and used and very soon as my few 16mm films are quite grubby after over 10 years in storage.
Loved that art cinema you work in and i thouroughly enjoyed seeing beind the scenes and must come in one evening to see it all in action and maybe sneak a few snaps to show off.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#17 by Paul Browning , Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:08 pm

You do realise that if this was on the other channel, you would have had all comments off piste removed for hijacking this thread.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#18 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:24 pm

Your right there Paul, it is a bit naughty really, i do drone on sometimes.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#19 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Tom will be in touch better not say any more in case we get our wrists slapped ........

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#20 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:27 pm

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#21 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:29 am

GWYN / TOM / PAUL / DOUGLAS / ANDREW / EIVIND ...
How do I reply to this as I am very surprised by your replies and the truth be known
a bit moved.

I never realised my presence on this forum was valued as much.
All your comments are spot on and I am more than happy with them.
I have even had emails from our old sadly missed pals Hugh and Robert regarding these thoughts
and decisions.
Yes Gwyn you are very correct in stating things move forward and like you I have done it all during
my Cinema Projectionist career days. Carbon arcs, reel changeovers, Screen Tabs , etc right up to working
with (D) electronic projection.
However things have to move forward with my hobbies too and for a number of valid reasons which we cant
discuss on this forum.
One reason though which we can speak about is those reels of film are bloody heavy and as you state we
are not getting any younger and health issues do creep up on you and take there toll.
Another reason is one which Tom mentions is the over inflated asking price for film.
Especially for Super 8mm prints in particular those from DFS.
As good as 8mm can be its not that good for those prices but hey we have been here before on
this forum so I am not going over old ground.

I think the main thing that has kept me in the film collecting hobby for all these years besides a
liking for film and projectors is indeed .... NOSTALGIA !!!
Gwyn you hit it right on the nosey there. I have been involved in this hobby since I was around 12 years old.
The hobby led me to my starting my first job as an Apprentice Cinema Projectionist at 15 years old the rest is
now history. Along that road I gained a lot of knowledge and experience not only about film and machines but
life itself. Of course I have also made many friends who I still see or keep in touch with. Sadly some are no longer
alive but hey that's part of life's rich tapestry and it comes to us all in the end. A lot of folks ignore that fact.

So I suppose I can state that for me it has been more than just a hobby but a way of life.
However things also change in and through time and so have I . My head is out of the sand now.
I am not going to allow looking to the past with Technicolor spectacles cloud my reason and judgement
and the truth for me at least is that the alternatives are not only cheaper but in many ways a lot superior.

Tom you are right ... To quote Albert Finney ... " Don't let the b******s grind you down!"...and I wont as I
never have.
Cheers again guys and lang may yer projectors turn and lichts beam brightly.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Mats Abelli, Gwyn Morgan and Tyler Hatwell
David Hardy
Last edited Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:01 am | Top

#22 by Eivind Mork , Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:45 am

I would suspect nostalgia is a factor many, me included. Just as I love my father's old typewriter I love my old film equipment, but it is more to it than that to me. I don't have the space or the money to be able to only see reel film. And my patient wife would get tired of it I suppose :-) At the moment I can afford buying films. But even if I did not, I could personally never part with the films I already have. I have thought about this recently. For me it is not only a bad thing that films are so terribly expensive and hard to get. I have wanted North by Northwest for several years. The feeling I have now when I have got in on Super 8, I could never match after buying it easy and cheap on an other media. It makes it real special. Like a hunter: It is no fun shooting cows in a field, but finding that moose after days of hunting...

I respect, though, that other factors in life could change ones perspective. I hope you get happy whatever you end up doing. That is what matters in the end.

Mats Abelli likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#23 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:53 am

David: When you mentioned nostalgia, that really hit the nail on the head for me. I honestly feel that's a big reason I dabble in the hobby. Being a retro-pop culture junkie, it keeps me connected to my ever fading youth. I'll be 55 this year and with more years behind me than I have before me. I almost gave up the 8 / Super-8 end of things up all together early this year. Hugh and Tim Duncan helped me to change my mind and give it another chance. Speaking of Hugh, we stay in touch and I'm glad you spoke with him about this topic David. Keep the faith but fight the good fight!

Douglas Warren

#24 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:00 am

Yes that's the main problem with nostalgia it can get a right grip on you and at times cloud your reasoning
and emotions.
Another problem with nostalgia is that its all in the past and can be downright expensive in the long term.
I fully understand your feelings regarding your North By Northwest print now you have it at last.
I used to feel like that when I at last got that elusive nearly in my grasp print.
However for me that feeling is now on the wane I have to admit.
I spent Hundreds of pounds on my Super 8mm Derann copies of Gone With The Wind / Goldfinger /
Jason and the Argonauts / First Men In The Moon / Those Magnificent Men In There Flying Machines /
Doctor Zhivago and many more.
However I have to concede that for me at least that the alternatives are not only cheaper but are
of superior and much better quality than my film prints.
All the rest is pure nostalgia for me now.

David Hardy

#25 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:48 am

Douglas thanks for that.
I will do my best to " Keep the faith " . hahahaha !
Good to read you stay in touch with Hugh.
He is one in a million and a really good guy.
Yes its a real dilemma when you reach those film collecting crossroads.
I never thought I would come to it ever so there you go !

David Hardy
Last edited Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:50 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
HAPPY FIRST ANNIVERSARY.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor