#1 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:15 pm

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

RE: Derann name for sale.

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:22 pm

It'd be great if we all owned it here as a consortium in memory and recognition to Dereks great great work!

It should be used to place all of their memorabilia on it for all to see for many many years to come imho.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:39 pm

Its a shame his own son never felt that way about his own father's legacy.
I suppose the bottom line was its only a business which it was anyway.
Best leave it confined to history in my view. Its gone and it ain't coming back.

David Hardy
Last edited Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:42 pm | Top

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:22 am

A business based primarily though on a passion and dedication to produce fantastic products to the niche marketplace that was prepared to pay for such items. Items far beyond anyone's expectations by the time the company had 35yrs under it's belt. Therefore,the more that can be done to spread the news of this unique companies work, and preserve it for historical value, the better!

If Derek's own Son does not feel this compassionately about his father's lifetime work, (and who knows that he doesn't?) then this is a real sad state of affairs in my opinion.
I am truly proud of my own fathers lifetime work and all that he stood for and I'd have thought Derek did more than enough to gain a similar respect among his close family and friends.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:38 am | Top

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:58 pm

I had been dealing with DFS on a regular basis since around 1968/9 I think right up
until their demise.
They did seem a bit intent in promoting Digital Projection near the end in order
to keep them afloat.
Sadly it failed .

David Hardy
Last edited Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:01 pm | Top

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Yes their main front showroom, run by Adrian, was solely taken up with all the latest Pioneer high end home cinema amps etc from the mid 90's onwards.
I think the later technology was more what Adrian was into from what I gathered.

They used to stock all the latest Sharp and Sony LCD projectors back then and do good business by allowing collectors to part ex their films for the very expensive new on the block LCD projectors of the time.
(Only Derann of course would offer such a facility meaning they could charge the full RRP for all of their new home cinema equipment).

Ironically, it would have taken a sizeable collection of top Super 8mm films and high end Super 8mm projectors then, to have done a cashless deal for say a brand new Sharp or Sony LCD projector in that era.
That same film collection now, would almost have certainly gained value over and above even the resale value of the items back then by Derann.
By stark contrast, that Sharp dogs bollocks LCD projector back then costing some £3k or more, would now be lucky to fetch you £50!!

No wonder Derann encouraged their customers to move to new technology. One hell of a wise business venture by them.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:25 pm | Top

#7 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:51 pm

Yes a wise move indeed.
I am about to do the same myself I think.
I am fast losing interest in Film Collecting and Film in general or those involved currently on the scene.
All the "good old timers" have gone or are about to go.
Looks like Digital is the way I am bound to go. I have had a good run at it for about 50 years
but its losing its magic for me I am afraid. So its now getting near time to cut my losses
and get the hell out of it for good. I really cant be bothered with it anymore to be frank.

Mats Abelli does not like this!
David Hardy

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:11 pm

It's not a bad time to sell up at the moment David, that's for sure. Good luck with your new Digital adventure!

The difference now David is, if you were to sell all of your films and equipment and use the money to invest solely on digital kit, you'd be acquiring some seriously fantastic kit, as fantastic and as future proof as you're ever likely to wish for.

Back then was the advent of something new and different. As we all know new technology comes on leaps and bounds in the early years of being put to the market and as such many many outstanding improvements were made and the image quality has since gone from very very average with limitations from each of the CRT, DLP and LCD technologies available back then, to outstanding cinematic 35mm print standard, glorious and spectacular ones!

Images that can easily do credible justice to screen sizes witnessed in the professional arena or at the BFCC!
Also with much improved brightness levels to give at least the same witnessed from a traditional Xenon machine.

Pulling the plug right now on Cine, is a far wiser move than it ever was in 98 or even the dawn of the new century.
That is of course, if you can live without the love we all feel for the tactile and unique world of film.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:34 pm | Top

#9 by Ian Partridge , Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:57 am

It appears that the Derann domain name registration lapsed because the registration fee was not paid? In which case a sharper has jumped-in and registered the domain as a speculation so they can profit should anyone wish to start up a business trading on the Derann name.

Usually a business website domain is maintained after the business ceases trading. So the good will and web traffic are not wasted. The URL is often redirected to another, similar, business. The old web pages are often maintained as an archive to preserve information and inform when the business finished.

The current Derann page is parking area for links to other unrelated stuff. Clearly nothing to do with Derann.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Domain name:
derann.co.uk

Registrant:
James McAvoy

Registrant type:
Unknown

Registrant's address:
King St
Bristol
BS1 4ER
United Kingdom

Data validation:
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party
data source on 26-Apr-2016

Registrar:
Key-Systems GmbH [Tag = KEY-SYSTEMS-DE]
URL: http://www.Key-Systems.net

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 22-Jun-2013
Expiry date: 22-Jun-2017
Last updated: 21-Jun-2015

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
ns1.parkingcrew.net
ns2.parkingcrew.net
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to the 2006 Derann website pages:

Link to the 2006 Derann Web Pages

Ian

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

Last edited 08.02.2016 | Top

#10 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:24 pm

You would think that the Derann trading name would still be subject to copyright conditions.
I wonder ?
Just take a look at those sensible prices for second hand stock on those lists.
I bought a couple of films from that very same 16mm listing.

Ian Partridge likes this
David Hardy

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:27 pm

The good old days David.

Andrew Woodcock

#12 by Ian Partridge , Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:16 pm

I think David you are right about the Derann trading name being copyrighted. But anyone can register a web site address if the registration expires. It is a pity that no one took over. I remember buying prints from Deranns' list but you had to be quick as the best titles quickly sold. My favourite Derann purchase was a 16mm print of 'Masque of the Red Death' which had fairly decent Eastman colour. I was later able to get an LPP print of Masque Of the Red Death with excellent colour to replace my old copy.

Ian

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

#13 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:22 am

Ian do miss those Monday mornings hoping to be the first to get through to Ged or whoever in order to
bag that elusive print ? Then you get informed ... " Oh sorry its just been sold "
Great fun and I do miss it.

David Hardy

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:24 am

First time around, I remember the "sorry it's been sold" experiences all too well myself!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:25 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Armchair Odeons 2 DVD

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor