Inactive users - please read!

#1 by Eivind Mork , Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:24 pm

The result of a vote going on for a few weeks, states the following change:

Any member not posting anything for a year will be deleted!

This is done since we want active members in the forum where we all share alike. The period of one year is to make it clear that it is OK to go on holiday, being busy for a while or for any personal reasons not being present for a while. This is targeted at people never posting anything at all. So to be very clear: New members who don't post very often have nothing to fear! But we would very much appreciate any post, question, reply, "Top"-vote or any other contribution you make! This forum is made of posts where we share our passion for reel film!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Mats Abelli, Michael Lattavo and Tom Photiou
Ian Partridge does not like this!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: Inactive users - please read!

#2 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:53 pm

It should be at least 6 months not One Year.
If they have time to watch films and other stuff they must have time for a couple of seconds log-in
and time to Top or Flop or whatever.
I don't think anyone is THAT BUSY !!!

Tyler Hatwell, Ian Partridge and Michael Lattavo do not not like this!
David Hardy
Last edited Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:53 pm | Top

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:38 pm

I personally don't agree with your last statement there David. I for instance may be away on a project with my work for several weeks/ months in the new year.

Does that mean I've suddenly lost all interest in films or cine equipment?

Quite the opposite I'd expect. I've no doubt if it runs into months overseas, I'd be climbing the walls to watch a real film again!

No,...people's lives take on all different challenges and priorities at all different stages of them. I know my mate Del hasn't been posting much of late but it'll just be because he has other priorities right now.

The forums are meant for just some light recreational entertainment. If someone wants to visit and post something once in 365 days, that's fine by me, just as equally if someone wants to post 365 times in one day, that's fine too.

We just want people to visit here now and again and occasionally show a little interest once in a while without simply just peering in, that's all.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Eivind Mork, Tyler Hatwell, Michael Lattavo, Stuart Reid and David Weston
Michael Lattavo sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:27 pm | Top

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:28 am

To be fair David, you are in the same boat as Eivind, Vidar, myself and quite a few others, whereby you like to visit this forum on an almost daily basis.
This forum will not have that same importance in many other peoples lives. They won't feel the same level of obligation towards it.
Just a mild interest perhaps, which is equally fine and only to be expected I'd say.

Ian Partridge likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:41 am

I have just done a check on some of the dates some members last posted. Coming up for a year.
It looks like some email reminders will be coming up soon and perhaps some deletions.
Lets get rid of the dead wood.

David Hardy

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:46 am

As the ruling has only just come about, I feel these members should initially be written to individually and then given some period of time to respond both privately then publicly.

The ruling has only just taken effect so some may feel the deletion of any member should commence 12 months on, only from when the ruling was first enforced David.

I await Eivinds response to this suggestion.

Michael Lattavo likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:55 am | Top

#7 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:59 am

A change of rule is a change of rule and should apply in a retro manner also.
There are people on here who have not even bothered to log since joining.
A rule change should be applied in a UNIVERSAL manner with no exceptions as to the time scale when
they may have registered.
So that ruling needs to be enforced now or its no rule at all.
Most of those concerned did not even bother to vote on this issue so why should we even bother with them.
Tell me something since when did Eivind become Head Admin ?
Why should we wait for his views as no one even BOTHERED to consult me as to my views on the One Year ruling.
It was all in force when I logged on after the VOTE with no contact to me whatever !!!
A bit of political bias there I think and slight double standards.

David Hardy
Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:02 am | Top

#8 by Eivind Mork , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:04 am

I though this post should be here for a couple of weeks at least so everybody had a chance to read. Then I guess we could delete all members that hasn't been active for a year.

Maybe this could wait until Vidar is back in a few days at least?

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#9 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:05 am

THERE YOU GO JOBS FOR THE BOYS !!! ... NAILED IT NOW I KNOW FOR SURE .

David Hardy

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:06 am

David, I was simply meaning before any action of writing to these members who remain inactive, surely we must wait to see how both Eivind and Vidar interpret the new ruling start point.

In Vidar's absence right now, then the only person we can hear back from regarding this is Eivind currently.

Nobody is suggesting for one moment that any one member of the Admin team carries more weight than another....least of all me.

If you want to trawl through all the individual members here writing to each in person stating they will be deleted from here soon unless they post something immediately, be my guest David.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:09 am | Top

#11 by Eivind Mork , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:07 am

But let's wait til Vidar is back. It is his forum, and this one is kind of big.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#12 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:12 am

Andrew and Eivind ... I ask this question again ...
Eivind has Vidar appointed you HEAD OF ADMIN or something ?
If this is the case then there is something a bit corrupt and undemocratic about this forum.
As all ADMINs are supposed to be of equal status I thought.
So can you clear that one up for me ?

David Hardy

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:13 am

No he has not David! Please see my last post.#10

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:17 am | Top

#14 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:15 am

So answer me this Andrew ... How did you know this and I did not ?

David Hardy

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:16 am

Know what????

Andrew Woodcock

#16 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:19 am

That Eivind was temporarily overseeing the forum until Vidar gets back.

David Hardy

#17 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:22 am

... and why is it down to BOTH Vidar and Eivind to interpret the ruling ?
Where do you and I as ADMINs stand as to involvement in any such interpretation ?

David Hardy
Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:23 am | Top

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:23 am

He isn't. (In reply to #16)

I was simply suggesting that his interpretation of the ruling, and of course Vidar's once he's back here, should be taken into account before writing to anyone just to save any embarrassment if our admin team as a whole see the timing of such enforcement differently.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 am | Top

#19 by Eivind Mork , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 am

It is not up to me. This was my suggestion. My point is that Vidar has the final word, just as he had when I wrote this post and consulted him first.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#20 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:25 am

Well I very much hope that MY interpretation as to the ruling is taken into account too.

David Hardy

#21 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:25 am

As always David....I'm sure it will.

Andrew Woodcock

#22 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:27 am

Eivind...So it now appears to me that Vidar has taken your suggestion into account and applied it
and also failed to consult other members of admin as to their views on your suggestion.
Something is not right here !

David Hardy
Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:28 am | Top

#23 by Michael Lattavo , Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:50 pm

David, aside from you deleting my posts willy nilly, what is wrong here is the fact that you don't seem to realize that this is not your forum.

You seem so eager to kick everyone off, why is that? Maybe you should start your own forum, for you, Hugh and Robert. Make a daily post requirement.

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

Last edited 08.03.2016 | Top

#24 by Ian White , Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Good afternoon gentlemen!

As one of the members of the offending group of inactive users perhaps now is the time to make an appearance, as I most certainly do not want to be deleted from the Reel magic film forum.

I am pretty sure that this is not the most appropriate place for my 'introduction' but no doubt someone will be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

I would like to express my gratitude to all of you who take time-out to make this site the valuable resource that it is. I may not have 'spoken' as yet, but I have been 'listening' and learning.

To those of you who have posted pictures and links in the gallery and elsewhere, and have initiated, or have contributed to, discussions, a massive thank you !

I don't remember exactly when my interest in film and projectors manifested itself but it was at an early age, I'm sure. Probably at the age of six when, on the rare occasions I actually got to go to the cinema, I spent more time watching the projection ports and the flickering light beams than I did watching the actual film. I loved everything about cinemas. But perhaps the spark that lit the flame was when one of the teachers at my junior school wheeled out an RCA projector with forward facing spool arms and proceeded to load it with a massive reel of film. The rest of my classmates enjoyed watching Abbott and Costello meet the mummy, whilst I enjoyed watching the projector and listening to the sounds it made. Other boys played football. I drew pictures of RCAs and Bell and Howells and dreamed of the day I would own one.

I was sixteen when i bought my first projector - a used Eumig 710D - with the money I saved from delivering news papers. I bought an old Meopta wind-up cine camera and started shooting rolls of film as and when money would allow. I read about the achievements of Tony - 'Mr Widescreen' - Shapps in MovieMaker and longed for the day when I could afford an anamorphic lens. I was pretty sure I wanted to be a cinema projectionist but for lack of openings ended up going to uni. Then career, wife and family got in the way and although I never lost my love of projectors and films my activities on the film front took a back seat. And that was 40 years ago.

Now I find myself with an Elf RT manual thread 16mm machine , purchased from CHC, a couple of Bell & Howell 8mm projectors, and uncertainty.
I don't know yet which way I want to go. I can screen the unmentionable on a 4 metre wide screen ( it's actually a wall, but the results look awesome!! ) using an epson , but I think sprockets and film get in your blood.

I like the bright, crisp images you get from 16mm but super 8 titles seem to be more abundant than 16mm.
I like the idea of a fumeo pedestal projector, but I also like the idea of super 8, though I'm blessed if I know which model will give me a bright 'scope' image of a nice size.
I have lots of questions - some of which have been answered by reading posts and following links given on this site ,and some I need to ask in the appropriate forums.

In closing I would add that your pictures and posts have been both inspirational and enlightening , have helped me to make decisions and, perhaps even more importantly, have helped me to clarify in my mind the questions I need to ask. Once again, a massive thank you to you all.

Regards and best wishes.

Ian White  
Ian White
Date registered 05.30.2016
ThankYou 8

#25 by Eivind Mork , Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Thank you for posting and taking your time to tell about your background! You are most welcome!

I would love to hear more about your interests, films or see screenshots of your films! :-)

Ian White sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
my print has landed and then gone to germany

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor