Film Hire Libraries.

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:37 pm

How many of you "old timers" on this forum used to hire prints on a regular basis ? What ones did you hire from ?
I did hire a lot of prints on 8mm and 16mm over the years from various Film Hire Libraries.
I really miss them.
A great way to see before you decide buy that expensive cutdown or feature film.

Eivind Mork likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:38 pm | Top

RE: Film Hire Libraries.

#2 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:13 pm

David i have to say we never hired any films, although Roger at Movieland here in Plymouth had a vast library we only ever bought movies, many of them ex-library prints.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#3 by Stuart Reid , Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:04 pm

Yes, I used to hire from Roger at Movieland. Stagecoach, Grease (flat), Dr. Strangelove and Dark Star are the ones I remember off the top of my head. I was still living at home at the time and remember running Grease one winter's afternoon on a Sunday. Mum, dad, brother and the family across the road all squeezed in watching it on a 40" projector screen - that's the size of my telly nowadays! Mum was so engrossed she burnt the roast! :D

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:23 pm

I hope to find a low fade Derann print of Grease one day Stuart. Quite happy if it is flat though of course, I won't turn a scope print down either.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Derann was my first hire library I used the blockbooking scheme I think a new show every three weeks, Also used D.J.H had a show every two weeks. Loony Loony Movie company too. Wish they were some still about.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Was not anything in my area other than a shop selling photo equipment. I rented quite a few there, like Ringo the Lone Cowboy, I think it was about 15 pounds (5 a reel). I remember only a few, like Coma, Herbie, Guns for San Sebastian, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and cartoons of course, around 3 GBP for the 200's

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#7 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:18 pm

Very useful too because some of the releases were frankly crap. Fun crap though, on the big screen.

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#8 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:55 pm

This might be one of the crap ones? Views please.

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#9 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:25 am

It was a very sad time when we lost all of our 16mm and 8mm Film Libraries due
to the dawning and march forward of the Video Era.

David Hardy

#10 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:27 am

Stuart the premature death of Roger at Movieland was a sad loss to us all.
He was a very nice and helpful person.

Stuart Reid likes this
David Hardy

#11 by David Skillern , Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:53 am

i used watso films once - rented a copy of Carry on Abroad - i think the cost was £7 for the week and watched it with my parents on my tacnon 606 at least 2 before it was returned - i have my own copy of this film now and its a great cutdown of the full feature and still very funny as an early 1970's carry on picture and of course the last one to feature Charles Hawtrey - as his drinking by then had got way out of hand. i do remember that watso had an extensive film library and that their costs were reasonable - not really sure why i didn't hire more from them - maybe it was because i was only 12 or 13 years old at the time and although my father bought me the projector - he never had the 8mm bug like i did and still do - but he did watch the odd print that i bought when birthdays and christmas came around - or if i'd saved for a certain title.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#12 by Stuart Reid , Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:54 am

David, you're absolutely right. He was a lovely fellow, and even though I was only a teenager with VERY limited funds he'd let me mooch about the shelves for hours choosing 200 footers with my meager resources, and he ALWAYS called me Mr. Reid, impeccably polite. I was very envious of his Heurtier quietly whirring away in the shed cinema, and he was very canny too; I recall him buying a ton of Disney silent 200 footers and striping them himself, adding the soundtrack with his GS1200. He achieved some pretty good results too.

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#13 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:04 am

David I too used to hire from Watsofilms.
I think I started hiring from them around 1967/68 while I was still at school.
In fact I still have the catalogues and film booking invoices in my files.

David Hardy

#14 by David Skillern , Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:07 am

very interesting Stuart,

i've always felt a little cut off from the 8mm world in South Wales - as a teenager apart from the odd walton releases that Dixon's used to sell - it was always via mail order - although i do remember a shopping trip to London when i was in my late teens and i managed to pop into Portland films. Never thought such a small shop could have so much stock. When i worked in Birmingham from 2005 until 2013 - i could often get across to Dudley and pick up a few bits and pieces from Derann. But South Wales in the late 1970's was very quiet for dealers in Super 8 - apart from the odd camera shop that might have stocked the odd cartoon.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#15 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:10 am

Has any other members any fond memories of Film Libraries ?
I would really like to hear from you.

David Hardy

#16 by Panayotis Carayannis , Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:14 pm

Over the years I have acquired a number of Watsofilms with their strong super thick cardboard boxes,several rare titles I haven't seen anywhere else. Dave Hardy,could you scan your catalogues for us (me!) ???

Panayotis Carayannis  
Panayotis Carayannis
Date registered 12.05.2015
ThankYou 48

#17 by Mats Abelli , Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:24 pm

I never hired anything on 8mm. There were no good libraries in Stockholm, when I grew up. Some photostores had 50 and 200-footers for hire, but I wanted to own my prints. My only experiences in hiring films, was 16mm features, for our college filmclub.
I have some old catalogues and about 20 8mm prints, from a film library operating in the 50´s and early 60´s. Nothing really exiting there. Just a piece of nostalgia.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

Last edited 07.31.2016 | Top

#18 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Panayotis I would gladly scan my WatsoFilm Catalogues but I am having scanner issues.
I keep meaning to purchase a new one but never get around to it.
When I do resolve this problem I will do so for you.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, David Ollerearnshaw and Mats Abelli
David Hardy

#19 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:19 pm

Just found a part of one of Derann's hire catalogues. Just the blue binder I hope I find the rest having a big sort out still. Sure I've still got the DJ H too.

Roger at Movieland also released a few good films too.

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
RESULTS OF THE VOTE.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor