Singer.....not the sewing machine

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:35 pm

Came upon this machine in my travels.A Singer auto load 16mm machine,looks to be quite old but works,ran a small reel through sound not all that good but otherwise ok have had worse.
I see these machines are made in the USA and have something to do with a company called Grafflax?? And there are/were some on USA eBay,but not one you see in this country.
The interesting thing that this machine has as per photo 2 is the " fast forward" the lamp does not work in this mode but you keep track of where you are using the counter top left at front.
Anyway not sure what I'm going to do with this machine yet it's got a good bright light output and a nice lens,not sure about the amp,but I just thought it a bit unusual especially with the fast forward.
I always thought Singer made sowing machines,so there you go I assume it's all one of the same company.

You push the orange switch down to fast forward.

Eivind Mork likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

RE: Singer.....not the sewing machine

#2 by Eivind Mork , Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Never heard about fast forward :-) Cool find!

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi Gwyn,
I had a newer model of that basic design. With mine, it was finicky about how you loaded the film. It often lost the loop during projection, or the film jammed in the gate before I could even get it going. What did the machine in was on one occasion when I released the lever at the back of the machine to open the gate for threading, something jammed up and I never could get the gate closed again. I couldn't figure out what was causing the issue, even with taking the back cover off. I got so frustrated, I FORCED the gate closed and really did a number on it. By that time I had already damaged some film, so I didn't keep the machine. I'm hoping that yours will NOT give you any trouble like that!

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Timothy Duncan

#4 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:08 pm

Slot loading they were a couple of manufactures who made them. The fast forward would be used in schools mainly I would think. Not something I would use.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi Tim,
It was the fast forward that caught my curiosity,I was not going to use it for normal showings more of a novelty really.I have taken the covers off and I see the fast forward lever controls the gate and rollers etc by means of a thin string like material and springs.I can well imagine if it goes wrong it can be a real pain in the ass to fix.
I think I shall most probably strip it of all useful parts or may be of use in the future and junk it.📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#6 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:18 pm

I'm sorry Gwyn,
I hope that I didn't spoil any hopes of making good use of it. That thread-like material that you mentioned was on mine too. I always wondered if it would ever snap. I noticed tension applied to it when you closed or opened the gate (I forget which). If it had have been a manual thread machine, I think it could have served me well. I also noticed that mine would rewind very, very slow. The belt inside it was large and had what I call 'teeth', which would have been a bugger to find a replacement for. The lamps are super cheap for them, which is a plus. You might run it for awhile with test film just to see what happens over time. It could end up serving you well. Mine had only play/rewind/stop switches, and the lamp stayed on in rewind mode.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Timothy Duncan

#7 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:23 pm

I forgot to mention that mine was formerly owned by a county library.

Timothy Duncan

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:44 am

Tim,it's fine there was no way this machine was going to last with me.I shall have as much fun pulling it apart and reusing bits.
It's just not my sort of machine,you are right about the lamp it's really bright I hope to remove that plus transformer etc,and make good use in the future.Fortunaly I have enough other machines so won't be a problem if this one goes.📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#9 by Eivind Mork , Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:08 am

Never seen a slot loader for Super 8 (but I guess it is only because I am new to the hobby). I love my 16mm slot loader. Never fails because of bad loading (although I don't have much trouble with my GS 1200 or my parents Eumig P8 compared to my grumpy Eumig S810D). But I also love to be able to stop in the middle of a film, take the film out of the path and rewind. Or start in the middle. I don't need that often, but sometimes I just want to check something.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#10 by Tyler Hatwell , Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:52 am

I've got a singer projector, I think a slightly earlier model so it doesn't have fast forward or the counter. It can be a little difficult but mostly it runs well.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Tyler Hatwell  
Tyler Hatwell
Date registered 06.04.2016
home: East London
ThankYou 11

#11 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Eivind,Just in case you were not sure but the projector I have is a 16mm one.As you say I don't think I have seen a slot loader for super8.
I suppose it is a bit unusual with the fast forward but this one the age is against it.📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#12 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Eivind in what sense is your Eumig 810 projector " grumpy " ?
These are superb machines apart from that infamous " Eumig sound hum ".

David Hardy

#13 by Eivind Mork , Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Aha. 16mm. :-)

It sometimes loads bad and crunches the film. After a while I learned to always have a bend at the start of the film. That got rid of most of the problems. And off course always trim it with a Eumig end clipper. When it first starts correctly it is usually ok. I don't mind the humming. I actually like that sound :-) I grew up with an Eumig, so I have a soft spot for it. I don't feel the same for Elmo although that is what I mostly use now :-)

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#14 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:30 am

Eivind besides making sure the leader has no kinks or bends or nicks in it make sure you do not
release the threading lever key to soon as this can cause a film jam up.

David Hardy

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:41 am

Or even too soon Eivind! Sorry David, only jesting pal.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:42 am | Top

#16 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:26 am

I never release it before I see the film at the take-up reel.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#17 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:56 am

PAINFULL Ahh........😂😂😂😂😂📽📽📽📽
(British humour)

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#18 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:10 am

I didn't get it, but I am Norwegian :-)

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:23 am

Homophones Eivind, and that ain't me being politically incorrect btw! Ha ha.

Just banter my friend, late on, nothing more.
It just reminded me of a topic covered not so long back, now probably deleted as it had nothing to do with film, just as none of this has.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:36 am | Top

#20 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:20 am

Eivind,Nothing in any way personal just me being silly first thing in the morning,something like not having anything to do with a sewing machine.
Everyone Have A Good Day😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#21 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Ok :-)

Back to my Eumig. I don't have the projector here right now (I am at the cabin, and the Eumig is back home), but I can post a picture to show where the film fails to proceed in the film path once I get home. As I said it mostly behaved ok as soon as I learned the bending trick to the film end. But my GS 1200 does not like that bend, so if I switch projector to the Elmo I need to cut the end again.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
"The way of the Dodo"

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor