RE: MOST OF THE BENEFITS OF THE FORUM...NO MEMBERSHIP OR LOGIN REQUIRED.

#26 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:21 am

Nothing like a good lurk...........off to work😀📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#27 by Ian Partridge , Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:31 am

I believe all internet content should remain open without restriction to access and sharing of information.

Many thousands who may be searching a film related subject may discover this RM forum, and some may even register, but not contribute or ever return to the site.

This is because of the vast number of search engine 'hits' generated by web pages such as these. Once the information they require has been gleened then only a small fraction will remain regular visitors and register, and of these even fewer will contribute.

I think all the 'dead wood' that David has drawn attention to is an indication of the great success of Vidar's forum.

Ian

Mats Abelli likes this

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

#28 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:13 am

Let me make something clear.
None of us on this F-O-R-U-M have any issue or problem with any member
being a member of another forum .
To be frank and open about it ... WE DONT GIVE A SHIT ! about that.
There are members on here who do belong to them or have left them for
whatever reasons.

However please do not post any comments of a personal or
derogatory nature on this one. ... I THANK YOU !!!

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Thijs de Kort
Thijs de Kort sais Thank You!
David Hardy

#29 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:40 am

Hi Michael; I belong to 8mm Worldwide, only haven't posted for months because it seems dead. Week after week it seems that no new post has been added. I mentioned 8mm Film Tech as I saw your name when looking at the site. I thought this may be the reason that you don't have the time to post here, as you are registered with other sites. I do wonder how people who don't have time to like or dislike a post, find the time to actually set up a projector, screen, and change reels; takes a lot longer than just writing a few words. I think we have more time than our parents did. Father had two children, worked overtime and weekends because of a low wage; like everyone else in those days, he grew vegetables instead of buying from the shops. Had to decorate. Found time to exercise with weights everyday, wrote for a magazine in his spare time, and still had time to be a good father.

Even if someone only has a projector and three 200ft films, they have material for posts. What type of machine, what made you get into the hobby, what films do you own, what's the synopsis, how is the print quality. Everyone has a story.

The following members like this: Thijs de Kort and Mats Abelli
Mats Abelli sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

#30 by David Ralph ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Reel Magic Film Forum 8mm/9.5mm/16mm/17.5mm/28mm/35mm/70mm
A forum solely for film media. No digital discussions allowed. Forum is open, except for the For Sale/Trade/Want pages, which are closed

The above is the strap line for the forum. Presumably at the conception stage of the forum this was the idealistic policy that was to be achieved. The bit I would draw your attention to is the words "FORUM IS OPEN'.

Interestingly, already statements in the strapline have already been eroded - A forum SOLELY for film media, as far as I know the topic regarding 'EU Referendum' was not film orientated.

If the Forum is locked until you joined and you found the posts -EU - Iceland - Earwigs, do you think that this reflects the strapline and would you want to participate? These posts are outside of the scope but the responses sometimes outweigh 'film related posts'.

I believe that the Forum should be OPEN, warts and all. This allows any potential member to see exactly what is available and then they can make the decision as to whether they want to contribute and feel part of a community.

David Ralph

#31 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:03 pm

David we are fully aware that posts such as E.U. / ICELAND / EARWIGS do not reflect the strapline as you refer to it.
However such Topics usually happen when there is a lack of Film related input in general from other members and of course our
regular contributors.
In a way its a side-line to the Film aspects and allows members to have a General Non-Film conversation and get to know
each others points of views about the price of tea in China and the world in general when things are quiet film wise.
Members are in no way obliged to enter into such threads and can choose to ignore them.

David Hardy

#32 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:07 pm

Mr. Ralph, I wish that line was true, but have to agree with you. Those non-film posts are too much in my opinion. Wish we could stick to film talk, which was my intention. I apologize, wish all think about what they write (and think about film when writing)

I have fears for this forum and my vote was for open, but will follow democracy and change the line you refer to when/if it happens

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Bill Parsons
Mats Abelli sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#33 by David Ralph ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:15 pm

Mr. Ralph? I wondered who you were replying to! Not been called that for a long time. LOL

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Ralph

#34 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Vidar you are the one who pays for this forum.
If you don't want any members including myself to post them then we wont.
All you have to do is add it to the Rules.
So that's not a problem.
I think things are going to be a Helluva a lot quieter on here though and I don't think
the silent ones will add anything more.
However I could be wrong .

David Hardy

#35 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:57 pm

When I get to know you more, I'll call you David, Mr. Ralph ;-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#36 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:51 pm

I think you find the occasional no film related topic in any forum. Every Facebook group will go off topic sometimes; personally, I don't have a problem, as long as they are in a minority: it gives us a chance to get to know each other better. I thought the EU and whether we should remain or leave was a big issue for all of us in the UK, though you always get those who don't care either way. I think the turn out was only 78% of the country. Anyway, back to the subject. I think we need to wait until David gives us the result of the votes on 1st August. There's no point in going over the same ground. we don't Elvind and others to feel this is not a welcoming and friendly place. I think things will be better after we hear the result.

Vidar, this should have been addressed before, it was only a few weeks ago we were promised a vote, and it never happened. If it had, we would not be having this conversation now. The problem now, with it being left, and the criticism from some who only post 5 times a year or speak up when they don't like something, is that some of the more prominent members are talking of leaving. If that happens, then the forum is as good as finished. I hope they will change their mind.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Robert Crewdson

#37 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:03 pm

It is up to you all, I know it will go downwards if the "usual suspects" stops posting. But I still feel the friendly tone is all gone now. I leave it to majority. Please respect that people have different views, as I feel some people gets unnecessary harsh comments for having a different view. I still is not of the same opinion as most, but will follow democratic vote, just don't put down those who oppose. Maybe I am wrong, but it do feel more harsh here now.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#38 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:47 pm

I do think that sometimes the banter is lost in translation, we can sometimes have a wicked sense of humour in the UK that our overseas friends just don't get and sometimes take offence with, so maybe a little more understanding from all sides may help. I'd hate to loose you all, we are a small enough community as it is which is unfortunately ever decreasing

All I would say to everyone is if you see a post you don't like or take offence with, ignore it and move on to the next one, don't fan the flames so to speak.

Del Phillipson

#39 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:56 pm

I know, been learning from my Jedi Master Hugh, but I do feel obliged to say, Tyler and Michael did nothing wrong that I seen, yet get some bashing. If the tone could return to friendly, I would be more at ease.

Mats Abelli likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#40 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Del that is a very good point you make about the banter getting lost in translation.
In fact it may be a lot to blame for the misunderstandings on this Forum.
However being a Scot and I am a SCOT I have to keep in mind that in all groups
of people regardless of their race creed or colour you will always find what we
Scots refer to as " Bubbly Bairns ".
In other words .. " Prima Donnas " or " China Dolls"....

David Hardy

#41 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:03 pm

Yes, Del wrote a very good comment. I also liked Gwyn's suggestion about keeping only so much of the Forum open; enough to get an idea of what we are like. If anyone can read the whole forum, what is the point of becoming a member unless you want to comment or get more involved; so having become a member, I don't understand the silence, perhaps someone could explain it to me.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

#42 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:48 pm

#36 I have to agree somewhat with Roberts comment about the occasional other topics.I personally don't see any harm after all hopefully this is an "international " site and sometimes it's good to hear and see different things.I think if we are not carful we really could shoot ourselves in the foot because there just may not be enough reel film talk to keep the wider interest.Just a thought📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#43 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:06 pm

Del makes some extremely valid points there earlier.

If the topic or conversation isn't for you, just leave the room so to speak, it will always, soon enough, get back on track.

Everyone has opinions, some more extreme than others, but let us all never forget, that is all any of this is, opinions...none necessarily right, none ultimately wrong....just one individuals opinion, that's all.

We choose to read and ignore if it suits, or respond also if we enjoy provocation. It's our choice as adults.

There is no real need for anyone to feel too down about things here. This forum has some very strong characters and with it comes some exceptional conversation and knowledge shared on many many occasions. 90% of what is shared here from what I see of things, is great stuff among fellow collectors, some with unbelievable knowledge of this hobby!!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#44 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:41 pm

Can I just say before I leave this lovely forum, David Ralph has missed the point, we ARE friends, we help where we can,( EARWIGS)
when David Hardy asked for help, he turned to us, his mates, so for you to start to look into the detail David Ralph, I say this, you are a new kid on the block so, no David, you're out of turn!!. My friend needed help, I helped, I couldn't give a toss now because I am gone, retired for good!! , I speak plain, not on "reel chat", up front like a man, with a heavy heart I leave, but the best for your forum, keep well all .Adios Amigos.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:44 pm | Top

#45 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:44 pm

You might as well know the bad news. Hugh has left the forum. Had this problem of non contributors been addressed when it was raised again only a few weeks ago, there would not have been these arguments online. I was looking at his post for 'The Light at the Edge of the World', unbelievable that only 4 members commented after all the trouble he went to provide quality screenshots; no wonder he feels that he is not appreciated. I appreciate him, and I hope others who do, will speak up and maybe we can get him to change his mind. If he leaves that is a major blow to the forum, and I don't know where that will leave me, as I returned partly at his request.

Robert Crewdson

#46 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:52 pm

Very sad news that Hugh has decided to leave the forum Robert. We have lost a good one and a key contributor
to the forum.
Not only have we lost Hugh as a person and friend we have lost access to decades of film collecting knowledge too.
Its a sad and bad day for the forum I fear. I hope he does change his mind. Like you Robert I don't know where this leaves
me now.
Maybe I should go my own way too.

David Hardy

#47 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:54 pm

I didn't see Hugh's reply when I posted the news. As he said, he was helping someone who he regards as a friend, not just a name. The heading 'A Forum solely for film media', really means Film (acetate, celluloid), no digital. It doesn't mean that that you can't post the occasional story about something else, it's not written in stone. It happens elsewhere, so why not here, and it gives us a chance to know each other a bit better and become friends. Del and Andrew's chatter about Cornwall interrupted my post on Breakspear Films, I didn't mind, in fact I joined in. David Hardy is an administrator of this site, and shouldn't be told what he can and can't post about. That's up to Vidar, who pays so the rest of us can enjoy this site for free.

Robert Crewdson

#48 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:32 am

I think this news regarding Hugh is both disastrous and totally unnecessary, I do hope Hugh sleeps on this decision and decides otherwise in the morning after giving it some thought.

No one else here regularly shares their expert knowledge that dates back to some very early days in 8mm film. This is besides his knowledge of 16mm film and equipment!
His knowledge of film is simply unbelievable!

If Hugh does Decide to leave, the loss will be devastating to this forum and its members.
I do hope upon reflection, this is NOT the case!!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:35 am | Top

#49 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:01 am

Well another shift done but sadly no mention of Hugh returning when I first logged on here.
Now that the dust has settled, I will send Hugh a personal message of thanks for all of his help, goodwill and knowledge he has very generously given to me in the time we were both here.

I still live in hope that he may reconsider, but somehow, I feel it is looking depressingly and decreasingly unlikely as time ticks on.

All very very sad this, it really is.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:06 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
A Nod of Thanks to Paul Foster

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor