Lack of imagination

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:05 pm

Took a look on the 8mm forum, someone needs help searching out a Bolex flat belt for his projector, he is having no luck finding one,
It shows how a lot of people need taking by the hand, no insight, imagination or ideas in their pointed heads! I said on many occasions of how you can utilise belts from Vacuum cleaners, made with better rubber too, but I should know better than to even share this stuff, if it isn't in a polythene bag with Wittners stamped all over it, it won't do, so, let them pay through the nose, the idiots. You've either got a bit of savvy or you are happy to be took for a ride by the Krauts.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: Lack of imagination

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Improvisation is a great thing whilever the spec matches or exceeds the original Hugh, I totally agree.
Most of our machines used only stock available parts from back in the day.
I think only Eumig manufactured almost everything in house for their machines and even then, they wouldn't have bothered for things like rubber drive belts etc.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:07 pm

Pretty sure I once read of a car fan belt being used as a makeshift belt for some projector. What happened to 'Necessity is the mother of invention'.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Robert Crewdson

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:15 pm

Well Hugh after my last experience in using a fan motor to make a rewinder,I am now taking apart an electric knife just to see if there is anything I can use for something,either need w or in the future.
If I get amachine 8 or 16 or even slide projector which is past its sell by date I strip it of everything I think I might be able to use.
As said one has to adapt theses days as I prefer to spend my money on films rather than parts.
As you say some people have no imagination,mind you maybe that's not a bad thing in some cases 📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:27 pm

You're right Gwyn, so long as what we all do is safe and it works for our own situation in any given circumstance...then why not?

Personally, I don't begrudge paying for genuine spare parts, but I understand anyone choosing to spend that same money on film or something else.

So long as the replacement part is "fit for purpose"...no harm done, either way.

I think much of the improvising of today is often forced upon us now given the era we are still operating in.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:34 pm | Top

#6 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:48 pm

I can speak from experience here, the Fumeo belts must be made from Bazooka Joe bubblegum, absolute crap, inside
two months, you'll find they'll need replacing, I use the belts for DYSON vacuum cleaners, you have to split them, but for
a fraction of what a Fumeo belt will cost you, I bought a replacement, must be three years ago now, its still going strong,
the other half is in waiting.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:52 pm

That's incredible Hugh that the recommended and original belts don't last five minutes!!
Unbelievable in fact for a machine expert such as Fumeo.

To use one of yours Hugh, my flabber is well and truly gasted, it really is!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:52 pm | Top

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Hugh how do you manage to split the Dyson belts to make them of use on a Fumeo ?
I not seen one but I am very interested for obvious reasons.

David Hardy
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:28 pm | Top

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:17 pm

Its dead easy David, just requires a steady hand and a pair of sharp scissors, put an incision in with a sharp knife, for your scissors, and away you go. You could put you belt over a spade handle and just cut it with a sharp knife. Another method, place it between a lath and
a board, preferably with the lath screwed down to allow no movement when you cut the half width of belt protruding, but I manage happily with scissors. Take your Fumeo belt to the shop, there are plenty of different sizes, I'll see if I can find the model that suited mine, I think I still have the card.

The following members like this: Ian Partridge and Gwyn Morgan
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:20 pm | Top

#10 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:21 pm

That's sounds great Hugh. Cheers mi loon !

David Hardy

RE: Lack of imagination DIY Belts

#11 by Ian Partridge , Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:22 pm

Hugh's method is right.

I sent off to USA for an expensive replacement belt for a 16mm Fumeo and it tore apart after only a few hours running. I also trawled for vacuum cleaner flat belts to make up into a suitable replacement. Neat cutting to correct width (with scissors) was crucial as the sides must not snag on the 16/24 switch-over guide. The ends were trimmed with a slightly angled join with a razor blade and bonded together with superglue. Because the belt rubber has elasticity it cannot separate at the join. The projector is still running OK with this economy belt.

Ian

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

Last edited 07.03.2016 | Top

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:25 pm

'Tis true Andrew, when last my Fumeo went to be sorted by Bill, it came back better than new, Bill had put a new belt in, which
inside a few months had snapped, they are not good quality. I hate Dyson cleaners with a passion, they pick up fluff and put it down somewhere else, but the belts are top drawer. For cleaners I favour Jeyes.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:53 pm

When I saw the subject title I thought it was a discussion about the majority of what Hollywood produces this day and age

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and David Ollerearnshaw
Douglas Warren

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:00 am

Either that or the majority of our silent members posts Douglas!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:00 am | Top

#15 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:01 am

Andrew,that would actually be the "silent majority" you're speaking of. We have many members who suffer from "Marcel Marceau" syndrome.

Douglas Warren
Last edited Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:03 am | Top

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:05 am

Too right buddy!

Shameful isn't it, when so many of our regulars try to make this the number ONE forum for NEW, FRESH posts including film screening shared experiences galore!!

Where would we be right now without the Hugh's, Tom's, Del's and Douglas's of this world?
To name but a few of our regular posters.

The Northern Soul logo say's "Keep The Faith". I can well understand David right now losing his, though of course, I hope it is just a passing phase!

Not a good day for the hobby all around.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:17 am | Top

#17 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:35 am

I hope to share some screenshots too in the near future. I've been more active of late buying Super-8 shorts and digests. I doubt my screenshots will look as good as yours (and others) on here but I'm willing to give it a go.

Douglas Warren

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:49 am

Douglas, we want everyone to share everything here!!! we are nuts about this hobby and it certainly ain't no competition!

Tomorrow I will demonstrate exactly how rough arsed some of my prints are, but I'd still want to watch it, come my final days on earth, I really would!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:50 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Robin Hardy /Olivia de Havilland

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor