Carlo Pedersoli, better know as Bud Spencer has died

#1 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:54 pm

Bud Spencer, the popular Italian actor who starred in innumerable spaghetti Westerns and action-packed potboilers during the 1960s and 1970s, was born Carlo Pedersoli on October 31, 1929, in Naples. The first Italian to swim the 100-meter freestyle in less than a minute, Spencer competed as a swimmer on the Italian National Team at the Olympic Summer games in both Helsinki, Finland, in 1952 and Melbourne, Australia, in 1956. He was also an Olympic-class water polo player.

Educated as an attorney, he was bitten by the acting bug and appeared as a member of the Praetorian Guard in his first movie, MGM's epic Quo Vadis (1951) (which was shot in Italy) in 1951. During the 1950s and first half of the 1960s he appeared in films made for the Italian market, but his career was strictly minor league until the late 1960s. He changed his screen name to "Bud Spencer" in 1967, as an homage to Spencer Tracy and to the American beer Budweiser. Spencer allegedly thought it was funny to call himself "Bud" in light of his huge frame.

After the name change, Spencer achieved his greatest success in spaghetti Westerns lensed for a global audience. Teaming up with fellow Italian Terence Hill, the two made such international hits as Ace High (1968) and They Call Me Trinity (1970) ("They Call Me Trinity"). Their dual outings made both stars famous, particularly in Europe. In all, Spencer made 18 movies with Hill.

He became a jet airplane and helicopter pilot after appearing in All the Way Boys (1972) and owned an air transportation company, Mistral Air, which he founded in 1984. However, he terminated his business interest in Mistral and entered the children's clothing industry. After 1983 Spencer's movie career slowed down, though he did have a big success in the early 1990s with the TV action-drama series "Extralarge". A man of many talents, Spencer wrote screenplays and texts for some of his movies. He also has registered several patents.

Spencer married Maria Amato in 1960 and they have three children, Giuseppe (born 1961), Christine (1962) and Diamante (1972).

I love his films. His trade mark to end a fist fight by striking a hammer-like blow on the top of the opponent's head. Along with Terence Hill they made some funny action comedies.

On super 8 in English we did not have many, but in Europe quite a few were available.

1971 The Black Pirate, Skull IE International 4x400ft

1969 The Five Man Army, Mesito 16mm Review by Hugh recently.

1951 Quo Vadis. Not sure if his scenes would be in the versions on super 8.

Bud Spencer tribute.

Bud Spencer Tribute 2

Loved his fighting style. Always enjoyed your films. R.I.P

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

RE: Carlo Pedersoli, better know as Bud Spencer has died

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:44 pm

I was shocked to discover Giuliano Gemma had passed on too David. One of my favourites of Bud's, was the revenge western "Today its Me, Tomorrow You", where he played it straight against a Japanese/ Mexican leader of Comancheros.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Hugh you just reminded me that I have a faded and splicey 16mm print of ... TODAY IT'S ME, TOMORROW YOU.
Its an ex film library print I got for around £ 25.00.
I also showed it on 35mm away back in 1969 at The Capitol Aberdeen.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:05 pm | Top

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:09 pm

David I remember showing Ace High on 35mm at The Capitol Cinema under the title of ...
REVENGE IN EL PASO away back in 1969.

David Hardy

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:29 pm

Another I have on 16mm its under the Revenge title David, or should that be the two Dave's. It sounds like a singing duo, or the Liberal party back in the '80s.
I bought in the s/8 German 2x400' edit many years ago, which is nicely done and keeps all key scenes intact, kudos on the 16mm though.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:51 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Michael Cimino passes-away at 77

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor