175'ft. IB Tech Clip From Feature

#1 by Ian Partridge , Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks to a £10 eBay lot I won recently, I have been able to add an extra four minutes to my incomplete version of "The Great Mr Handel" (1942). I really enjoy watching films with interesting cinematography like this one, made in Technicolor during World War II with Wilfrid Lawson. The lighting cameraman was Claude Friese-Green, son of the pioneer of cinema. The film was the first designed and photographed in "natural" Technicolor colour without the garish over-saturated look associated with some Technicolor films of that period.

I have a reel that is part black and white with about 20 minutes of colour and I was excited to see that someone had put up an odd clip from the feature so I was able to add an extra six minutes to what I have. The new colour clip covered scenes that I had in black and white so I inserted the colour section into this at the point that AE Mathews is sitting before the fireplace about to be told to go away by Lawson. In fact the black and white version had been edited so I gained two minutes where Lawson walks to his desk with the libretto of 'Messiah' and sits with the sublime music in his mind before the window and the scene fades out.

Perhaps someone has further clips or reels of TGMH ?

Ian

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

RE: 175'ft. IB Tech Clip From Feature

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Hey, nice to see you here again, Ian. Long time since I saw your posts :-) Keep 'em coming

Sorry to not be able to help with the film though

Ian Partridge sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#3 by Ian Partridge , Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome encouragement Vidar.

Here is a link to a short clip from the film that shows the colour palette and set design used

http://www.ian-partridge.com/g_m_handel/GREAT%20MR%20HANDEL_F8%20480p%20%284x3%29_QT%20480p%20%284x3%29.mov

Ian

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

Last edited 06.17.2016 | Top

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:57 am

Thanks for that link Ian. I really like vintage films and bio-pics about
composers historically accurate or not.

Ian Partridge sais Thank You!
David Hardy