Splicer Advice

#1 by Tyler Hatwell , Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:27 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dixons-3-Way-f...TcAAOSwLnBXXHcb

Is this a decent looking splicer? I don't know anything about it really. Also, are there any good how-to guides on splicing/films repairs online I could look through

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Tyler Hatwell  
Tyler Hatwell
Date registered 06.04.2016
home: East London
ThankYou 11

RE: Splicer Advice

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:34 am

Tyler, I can send you a better one for nothing if you like, one that the tapes are no problem to still get hold of!

An Agfa F8 S fully Automatic splicer. A dream and a doddle to use, and so long as you don't heavily apply Filmguard, works a treat!

I could send a copy of the operating instructions also if you want it. I have several of these and only keep them all as back up nowadays after switching to C.I.R.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:37 am | Top

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:36 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I would not go for that. Newer films you can't do anything with this cement splicer. And you will lose a frame for every splice. CIR splicers are the way to go in my opinion

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CIR-Guillotine...EUAAOSwaZdXH5aI

or the press tape from Kodak is half decent, but pins tend to break if you are not careful. Bought 5 or 6 and 3 have been with a broken pin for Super 8. This will also do Regular 8 and 16mm
Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-KODAK-...IIAAOSwQupXXZ0e

This is my opinion of course. And the CIR splicer of real good quality (I do only have these cheap types myself), they're expensive, but someday, I will own one

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:38 am

What Andrew says is probably relevant for the other tape splicers too, filmguard might be necesseray to clean off first.

A friend uses the Agfa splicer and likes it a lot. I never tested it

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:40 am

Its the best, quickest and easiest tape splicer I have ever used Vidar. I think there is a motorized Braun model that may be on par but very rarely seen nowadays.

The C.I.R. takes far longer, as it is completely manual operation, but the adhesive tape strength is the highest of any, I've found.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:43 am | Top

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:53 am

CIR is cheaper than those press tapes anyways, that's for sure

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:04 am

Very true Vidar!

What you spend on your initial investment with a decent metal bodied C.I.R. splicer, you more than get back in a short space of time by virtue of the fact that the rolls of tape are so cheap and last for hundreds and hundreds of splices.
That is of course, if you plan on using it often.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 am | Top

#8 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:33 am

Definitely a CIR splicer Tyler, I have one too, absolutely brilliant to use and the more you use it the quicker you will get. I use Filmguard on everything but now clean/dry off where the splices are and then replice after cleaning, works a treat.

Del Phillipson

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Andrew, I used an Agfa F8 S on all my Super 8 films, great little machine. I don't know what Kodak Presstapes are like in Super 8, but their 16mm is a pain in the neck. I have a 16mm roll of CIR tape, which could be useful if you had a diagonal tear.

Robert Crewdson

#10 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:20 pm

We used to have a saying in the Projection Box regarding CIR Tape Splicers.
"Professional splicers built for amateurs and the un-skilled to use" ... " Even the Managers can use them ".
Even allowing for the fact that they were commonly used in Film Editing suites and
were used in most Cinema Projection Boxes world wide.
Okay CHEEKY ... but TRUE.

David Hardy
Last edited Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:39 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
New audio cable install

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor