From strength to strength

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:05 pm

Until very recently I would have described this as the number 2 film forum, with the other one, as we call it, being number one, the others are mostly stagnant. I would also have said that the other forum could never be knocked of the No1 spot, due to the long time it's been around,and the amount of members. It actually consists of two forums, and you have to sign up for both seperately; one for professionals, and one for the domestic user and professional, as on here. I have noticed during the last week or so that when I look at the posts on that forum, I am finding virtually nothing of interest, and within a couple of minutes, I am exiting the website. This forum has grown such a lot since I was here before, if things continue as they are, this will become the No1 Film Forum. Thanks to Vidar, the admins, and the regular posters, who have made this such a great place to be.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Paul Browning, Tom Photiou, Mats Abelli, David Ollerearnshaw and Bill Parsons
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

RE: From strength to strength

#2 by Paul Browning , Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Your spot on Robert. I find certain individuals continually putting on some long running joke about a film there looking for, with the same people commenting on it with the same old clap trap, nothing to learn on there at all really. We have some great discussions on here mate, with some knowledgeable guys who speak common sense, and have been around from the outset. I 've learned some great stuff on here about film, so this is my first port of call when my computer boots up, and I'm not going anywhere else any time soon.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Tom Photiou and Bill Parsons
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:33 pm

In my opinion, it's THE forum of choice! I love the ease of posting screenshots and the passion that you guys have for the hobby. I also love the inclusiveness of members at all collecting levels. On the 'other one', I think there were a few members in advanced collecting stages who had the big head and didn't make much time for the beginners. Vidar has been very kind to me personally and I sure would like to meet him one day and see his ENORMOUS film collection! Oh, and go to a club meeting while I'm there in Norway. I just gotta figure out how to get over there (LOL!). I haven't even been a member here a whole year yet, but I feel very much a part of it. You all make this forum what it is! Thank you gentlemen!

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Vidar Olavesen, Eivind Mork and Tom Photiou
Timothy Duncan

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Remember, Robert, without you, it probably wouldn't be here. I do not mind being number two, three or whatever, I enjoy the people here. Thank you Robert

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:45 pm

It is us who thank you Timothy for your regular contributions to the forum. Without people like yourself who are reasonably new to the hobby, yet have the enormous enthusiasm to visit regularly here with interesting posts and experiences, there wouldn't be any of the positive comments I'm seeing here written about this forum from members such as Paul here above for example.

It is the regular contributors who continually have something different to add, that make this forum the now somewhat unique experience it is becoming, and keep it varied and interesting for its members and visiting guests alike and is what is giving rise to its forever increasing popularity in my view.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:47 pm | Top

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:05 pm

Thank you Vidar, I am glad to be back here.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Robert Crewdson

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:15 pm

Made me very happy to see you coming back too. Been missed, at least by me

Eivind Mork likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Beats the crap out of me why he ever left, Robert is a great asset, a lovely lad, I think the world of him, as I do of
Vidar , my little Nordic pal, Story Time, so get comfy, hope those shoes are slipped off, okay, then I'll begin, Once Upon A Time,
there was a lunatic called Scott, who wanted a much sought after film on , dare I say it , hold onto your Hollyhocks,.... DVD, yes, the
dreaded disc, it was a Babs Steele film, Amazon were less than useless, but it turned up on a foreign site, I had difficulties, which isn't hard for me, children and small doge are more savvy with this computer stuff than I, I was a member of the 8mm forum at the time, there was one man offered help, "Vicky the Viking", you know him as Vidar, that lad offered help, he would buy it for me, luckily, the seller realised I was stupid and sorted it, but that cemented my friendship with Vidar, ( bet he wishes he'd said bugger all ) Granted we had conversed before this, but there is something about Vidar that makes you protective of him, when he related how badly he was treated on that forum, I was not pleased,as I was removed so could not offer defence, he doesn't need it, he has created a place where he is Boss, he is surrounded by friends who wish him nothing but the best, no threat here "Vicky", you are among your own, we even have our own US reps "Statler & Waldorf" Doug & Tim, pardon my paraphrase lads, but you two chaps are the best, I was saddened by memberships from The USA that came to nought, but Doug & Tim are all anyone could wish for from those shores, a definite plus here.
Not to mention our little heap over here, Andrew, so many David's its getting like "Bruce" on Monty Python, Paul, Del et al. a finer bunch of sodpots,you could never find.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:47 pm | Top

#9 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:14 pm

I think it sucks.

JOKING
I to love the ease at which you can post screenshots and the way everyone is looking out out for one another, if it wasnt for Andrew i would never have bought a Bauer T610, mmmmmmmm JOKING , (i'm still looking for one at much lower price), if it wernt for Hugh i wouldnt have quite afew of my films, its a great place to be and thank you to everyone.

That said, the other forums still very good, many great people on there to, uploading images is a right pain though.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Great story and fine warm words of encouragement there from our legendary ambassador of all things film here!
Not forgetting people like Tom here, who have been in the hobby nearly as long as "The Godfather Hugh himself, is there any possible reason why this forum cannot be king of the most visited very very soon?
Certainly none that I can think of!

If you look around right now at how posts and interest seems to be dwindling everywhere else, it only serves to further cement what a truly fine forum Vidar has created for us all here.

Film-tech is the daddy of course, a well established set up with many many years under its belt and masses of people from the U.S., Europe and indeed the rest of the world, however of late, it has been something of a dead duck I'm finding?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:19 pm | Top

#11 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:16 pm

I do enjoy doing the film reviews to and as said, the ease of posting the screenshots here does make that very enjoyable for me.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:19 pm

And a fine job of it you make too Tom!

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Screenshots are a doddle, but a few weeks back, I suddenly forgot how to do it, I must be getting old, but at one point I was
lost, might be a change in computer set up, or me,

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:39 pm | Top

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:43 pm

The format has changed slightly Hugh in recent times, so hopefully it is just that, that is the issue here. I do hope the website creators don't make too many frequent changes as all of us here appear to enjoy familiarity above all else when it comes to using the forum for routine tasks like posting screenshots etc.

Andrew Woodcock

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:47 pm

Thanks Andrew, I'm not the best on this stuff, as you rightly say, familiarity and changes, sign of the times I suppose.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:07 pm

Now all you lads, and lasses out there, watching, ever watching, why not get involved, we are all sharing an interest, some have come forth, keep it up, we need to know you, your needs, wants, even sales, there is nothing to be afraid of, we are film lovers, you joined
for a purpose, get in there with your views, opinions and screenshots of films, we want to see them, it is only a plus to you.

Clyde Miles likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:11 pm

Well based on just looking in over on the other place , 10 posts today from almost 5000 members!

I'd say we ain't fairing too bad at all Hugh from a little over 100 members here.
Even if only 10% of us use it regularly to actually say something here, we are matching the mighty force of Film-tech and its 4900 plus members right now.

The most baffling aspect of any to me, on any forum known to man, is what is the point of being a member per se if you have nothing to contribute?
Surely participation in any hobby is better than being a closet onlooker?

I just don't get it myself??????

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:20 pm | Top

#18 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Yeah, I put it down to the fact that we're more a friendly intimate, helpful. lovable, better lookin' bunch than any other on the forums,
we

Hugh Thompson Scott

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:18 pm

Speak for yourself handsome! 😁😁

Andrew Woodcock

#20 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:27 pm

I am, a good lookin' bugger of many scraps, all my own teeth, no broken nose, or cauliflower ears, two of them ,must be doing something right, we are a lovely bunch, we look after each other, the 8mm forum might have a large membership, half of them are dead or left.,
ours is the new wave, thanks to young lads like Tim etc. Andrew, thanks to yourself and David and our benefactor, this little forum has something the others don't have, a bunch of friends who look out for each other, long may it endure. You are a little horror Andrew.Tee Hee. It reads like an episode of the Beano.

Eivind Mork likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:55 pm | Top

#21 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:30 pm

It was a mistake for me to leave before, but I had other commitments. I have now cut my workload, and am back to stay. I think the forum is doing really, really, well. Over time we are gradually increasing the number of members who are as keen to get involved as we are. It was only the other week in an Email to Hugh, that I said this was the No2 Film Forum: things have changed in a week. We may still be No2, but I think there is more activity here. There was a time, not too long ago, when I could spend an hour, or even a few hours reading all the posts and comments on the other forum, now it's starting to look as static as the others. The decline appears to have started after there were complaints from some of us that digital posts were taking over from real film. There was a lot of criticism when we broke away and formed a new Forum; we are now very firmly established.

Robert Crewdson

#22 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:39 pm

Hugh I am going to change my first name to Hamish.
You are correct there is to many bloody Davids in this forum.
I think we should control this just like the amount of migrants coming
to the so -called U.K.....

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Oh the expense of it all !

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor