Elmo 1200 spool, such feeble boxes

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:43 pm

For me the Elmo 1200ft metal spool is one of the very best quality reels for super 8. Many of our feature films are mounted on these, with Gone with the wind being on 4 and sound of music on 3 to name just two titles, Generally speaking Elmo quality is generally very good,((in my opinion of course), but, where i think Elmo seemed to slip up big time was supplying these excellent aluminium spools in such hopeless feeble boxes. When these spools are full of film the boxes are simply not adequate.
What boxes do you boys use for your larger reels, i for one do like to make up my own artwork but these blue and white boxes just dont make the effort worthwhile.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Elmo 1200 spool, such feeble boxes

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:55 pm

Hi Tom, regarding ELMO 1200 spools, I still have the old original khaki coloured boxes from the mid 70's, they were nothing to write home about either. The best card boxes I ever came across were the ones I bought from a radio station containing NAB spools of
wiped tape from TV shows, these were for the soundtracks, I got loads to house my Walton films etc as they are for 800' spools
and very tough.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:25 am

the single white card type are not particularly strong or sturdy when used by themselves, but I've found that by bonding these together in two's or even three's as with your S.O.M print Tom, then they become much more robust and sturdy, especially if you attach good quality laminated card artwork on each surface.

It makes a very professional and uniform 1200ft library collection when storing these boxes in a cupboard or on a shelf. Certainly a whole lot less drab than storing them in black or blue round plastic cans with a small label stuck in the middle of them anyway, that's for sure.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:35 am | Top

#4 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:38 am

mine are all in round plastic containers, managed to build quite a collection of these containers over the years, perfect job.

Del Phillipson

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:45 am

Oops sorry mate. Lol

I've got plenty more for you here mate should you ever need any. I know I won't be using them aside from storing my take up spools in.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:47 am | Top

#6 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:05 pm

Andrew if you mean the plastic cases, yes please mate, stick some to one side for when we meet up at Buxton, looking forward to it

Del Phillipson

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:53 pm

As said Del, absolutely no shortage of these in various colours and guises.

Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Topics outwith Film but definitely not Digital.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor