Oh the expense of it all !

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:45 am

Not counting the cost of my equipment i for the fun of it did a quick estimate of the
money i have spent over the decades on buying films on all gauges since i was young.
The total cost amounts to Thousands of Pounds.
I then asked the question " Was it worth it ? " I know some dealers must be happy.
How about you all. How much do you reckon you have spent so far and do you
think it was worth it ?.

David Hardy

RE: Oh the expense of it all !

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:47 am

So how much do you reckon so far then David?

This is to me David, one of those questions where if you have to ask yourself if any of it was worth it, casting doubts in other words, then perhaps the money may have been better spent on other things in the first place.

How do we measure whether anything is worth it? Well to my way of thinking, simply by a measurement of the actual pleasure you have gained from the films and equipment.

In my case, I simply couldn't put a price on any of that. This time around I've truly lived the dream as they say.
Everything I've ever wanted to own and do since boyhood, has by now for me become something of a reality. I wanted when young, to do DJing, I've done two stints at that covering 15 years.
I wanted to own the best Super 8mm films and equipment as a youngster, and fortunately, I now see that dream coming to fruition.

If you pursue and fulfil your passionate ambitions set as a child, I consider that very satisfying personally. In fact I'd consider it priceless!

Thank goodness I never had a passion for luxury yachts or Ferrari's! 😁😁😁

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:16 am | Top

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:49 am

Andrew i cant give an exact figure at the moment but it is a good few grand i can tell you that .

David Hardy

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:03 am

I've probably spent at least £10K plus in both times of being around the hobby. Maybe considerably more?

Either way, it's a fraction of what I've spent on fags, beer and women! Ha ha.

As George Best once said "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars, the rest I just squandered!"

He knew all too well what his pleasures in life were,and boy, did he sample them to the full!

The bloke who my projector came from, then went on to spend £26k on a digital projector, so compared to this guy...I'm a miser! Ha ha ha.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:33 am | Top

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:44 am

I don't know how much I have spent over the years on films, but I thought t was worth it, as I was buying to keep, no thoughts of selling at a later date. Like Andrew, it was an ambition to own my own projector and films since childhood; I think since I first saw Michael Miles give away a cine outfit on 'Take your Pick'. I've spent a small fortune on 16mm in the last 8 or 9 years, and really, I shouldn't have done it, but I don't regret it. We only have the one life here, enjoy it. Into my 63rd year, I don't know how many years I will have left. I remember when I came home with my sound projector in the 70s, and we bought a few features, my father increased the insurance of the house contents. the projector was the dearest thing in the house, cost more than a TV at that time.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:48 am

Is it worth it? yes yes and yes.

A) you only live once
B) lifes all about enjoyment and pleasure, film gives you both (no jokes on the pleasure bit boys)
C) you can't take it with you

If you didn't spend money on films what would you subsequently spend it on and then could you look back and say, was it all worth it. You have to spend your money on something so why not on something that brings so much pleasure into your lives.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I rest my case for the defense

Del Phillipson

#7 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:50 am

Robert, at least another 20+ years as you look well for your age. You just keep working out humping those 16mm projectors about, you be as fit as a fiddle.

Del Phillipson

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:23 pm

On the 8mm front, a simple way of calculation is to look at the Derann features, on average 4 of them equals £1000.00,
( I used to find their 3 monthly payment scheme a winner ), you can use it on your Waltons, in the day about £80.00 per colour feature, but wages were low too, so an average of £250.00 would be fair with inflation, the figures reached just on this rough guide will surely make you think,
but then how much do folk spend on cars, holidays, nights out etc, its all relative. In short, how do you put a figure on the enjoyment you've received over the years from them.........priceless.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:24 pm | Top

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:34 pm

When I bought my sound projector, my wages for working at British Railways were £33 a week, and a Mountain feature in B&W was about £35. No wonder father increased our insurance.

Robert Crewdson

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:38 pm

That's true Del, here we are 43 years later and I still have my prints. You could spend £6 on a magazine that gets thrown away.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:18 pm

I am not sure how much I've spent, but it must be around 20.000 GBP in 3 1/2 years. I am currently trying to put the prices into my database, but it takes time

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#12 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:47 pm

I don't want to know how much I have spent ;-) Just like I don't want to know how much I have spent on gadgets, potato chips. As long as I have a healthy economy I don't want to know exactly.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:14 pm

When I first bought my S709, I was still an apprentice, low wages which were duly handed over to my Mother, as was the thing in those days, pocket
money paid my monthly payments on it, because it was paid off early, I received a rebate, unlike today where penalties are issued. How
times change, not always for the better.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#14 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:27 pm

When I started out, by buying the cine camera first, my wages were only £19; I could only afford a s/h silent projector from Dixons, and that cost me £33. I remember going back complaining about the A1/17 lamps that cost £1.95 and some were only lasting a week.

Eivind Mork likes this
Robert Crewdson

#15 by Tyler Hatwell , Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:04 pm

As someone on a relatively meagre income just getting in to the hobby, maybe I shouldn't have looked at this thread at all!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Gwyn Morgan
Tyler Hatwell  
Tyler Hatwell
Date registered 06.04.2016
home: East London
ThankYou 11

#16 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Move to Scandinavia first. We get 16mm features in the 5 to 40 range a lot

Welcome to madness :-) Sweet madness

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#17 by Tyler Hatwell , Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:08 pm

What's the postage like and where can I buy them from? Would probably work out cheaper for some things!

I just have to hope Umit has fair prices

Tyler Hatwell  
Tyler Hatwell
ThankYou 11

#18 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:11 pm

You cant take it with you so enjoy it while you can.I would give myself a heart attack if I started to add up the cost of my hobby and anyway to hell with the cost as long as you can afford it,you want it buy it.I think half the fun is looking for that elusive print,or coming across someone who is happy to do you a good deal and not rip you off.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#19 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:14 pm

From what I understand Umit isn't to keen on selling :-) Looks like a lovely fellow, but I didn't get a reply when asking for list

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#20 by Tyler Hatwell , Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:28 pm

I've been to his shop and it's a bit of an Aladdin's cave so I think it's more a case of him not knowing where to start when it comes to compiling a list. He also doesn't come across as a very 21st century guy so maybe doesn't "do" email that much. He sold me a nice copy of "Of Mice and Men" that was v cheap as it had the opening missing. good condition otherwise though

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Tyler Hatwell  
Tyler Hatwell
ThankYou 11

#21 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Well guys looking at these replies I think I can conclude that between us all we have
spent a helluva lotta money and YES it is/was worth it in the long run.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Hardy

#22 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Robert just hit a nerve there, those bloody A1/17 lamps, my Dad called them "Spaceman" for some reason, every week I was
buying 'em, my mate told me his Dad's projector had had the same lamp in for years. It was only with the Eumig Q/I lamps, that
I found there was such a thing as a bulb that lasted longer than seven days, and a bit cheaper too.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:51 pm | Top

#23 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:01 pm

Hugh they were called spacemen because the shape of the lamp reminded
some of an early generic stereotypical spacesuit.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Have you ever purchased another's home movies?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor