Unseen films

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:30 pm

Have any of you film collectors ever thought about the thousands of films that are stored in vaults and are never seen? What's the point of it. If it wasn't for collecting films I would never see half of them.

Robert Crewdson

RE: Unseen films

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:34 pm

I can see it, if it's for archival purposes, but as a collector, they should be enjoyed for sure

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:44 pm

Robert and Vidar,
I too have wondered about that as well. As a collector of 16 mm prints,I can only imagine how many films have either been trashed (or simply destroyed) once video at TV stations became the standard. Not sure what's more criminal: Films ordered destroyed by the studios or simply rotting away in some dank vault.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Douglas Warren
Last edited Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:49 pm | Top

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:27 am

I read in the Derann mag, from Derek himself, that all the prints and negs that were returned to Humphries Labs I think it was, of all
the old releases when Derann were putting out loads of stuff on std 8mm, stuff as he said may never see the light of a projector lamp again, no doubt sold to the French, who own the rights to the majority of British films through Studio Canal.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:53 am

There's a film called "Abby" that was released in 1974 (one of many "Excorcist" ripoffs). Warner Brothers sued successfully and this film was pulled from theaters, but not before making a profit. But from what I've read about it, no one seems to know who the proper rights holder is now to it. Additionally, there seems to be no master print of it in existence anymore. Any copies found in contemporary format were made from poor quality 16mm prints and are probably bootlegged.

Timothy Duncan

#6 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:55 am

I remember that one Tim, I'm almost sure it was on Brit TV, as I know it wasn't in the cinema that I saw it. As you rightly say, the copies
of the "Exorcist" came thick and fast, remember traipsing to see "The Antichrist", made in '74 too, Morricone score. The best by far
of the take offs was ""The Omen". There are loads of films that would never have been seen again, but thanks to the purveyors of
the dreaded silver disc, the likes of Blue Underground, Anchor Bay or Redemption search out decent prints to copy from, otherwise
we would never see them at all.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:01 am | Top

#7 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:56 am

Yes Hugh the unmentionable silver disc certainly has its positive side.
If it were not for IT and those companies we would not see some titles available
to purchase for private non-theatrical home use.
As for the destruction of negatives and prints it was normal practice within
the industry to make space for new releases. Film is a disposable item like toilet roll to the industry.
That was until the coming of the home video market via tape when they realised
there was a lot more profit to be had after the Cinemas had finished their runs
of these films. Of course before that there was selling of the rights to TV.
One thing is for sure with the coming of Digital Projection as the norm in Cinemas
I bet a lot more stuff has been destroyed the reason being a financial one as storage
and archival space costs big money.

David Hardy
Last edited Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:57 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
When is Vandalism art?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor