My latest purchase.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:57 pm

My latest purchase from Ebay, Louis Hayward in 'The Return of Monte Cristo' 16mm. Just had the chance to physically inspect it, and no problems. Briefly; the heir of Monte Cristo is branded an imposter and sent to Devil's Island. He manages to escape, and with the aid of a friend, assumes different disguises, so that he can get revenge on those who sent him away.

Some interesting statements on the film in 'The Montreal Gazette' Feb 6th, 1947. “The Return of Monte Cristo, starring Louis Hayward and Barbara Britton, which is now showing to capacity attendance at the Princess Theatre, is being held over for a second week.

It reported that the film was giving Columbia's make up department its toughest job in years. The studio's make up head, Clay Campbell, assembled one of the largest staff of experts ever used on one film, including Hollywood ace Don Cash, who was assigned exclusively to work out the intricate problems offered by Hayward's exacting role.

In the climatic scene of the film, Hayward comes to grips with George Macready, leader of the plot to take over the fabulous Monte Cristo estate. Director Henry Levin explained to both that French rough and tumble battling differed greatly from American standards. No holds were barred he told them, and feet were just as important as fists. When the fight had been filmed, Hayward and Macready had to have medical attention for a “hangover” of bruises and aching muscles.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen
Robert Crewdson

RE: My latest purchase.

#2 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks for a well written introduction to the film!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:24 pm

Another "golden oldie " Robert thanks for this posting.

David Hardy

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:28 pm

I like the 'Golden Oldies' David.

Robert Crewdson

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:07 pm

I know you do Robert. You are like me there.

David Hardy

#6 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Yesterday, I won an abridged 1200' version of Walt Disney's "Old Yeller" (1957). This was intended for a classroom type of setting, whereas viewing the full feature would not be feasible. It will come in a film can with the Walt Disney logo on it. I was really wanting this badly and had kept my eye on it all week! And better yet, I won it for much less than what I was expecting to pay. :-)

Eivind Mork likes this
Tim Duncan

#7 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:16 pm

That sounds great! Nothing like waiting for an auction for a long time and win it with a great price!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:21 pm

How abut moving these post to the Recent film purchases thread instead of having two? Is that okay?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#9 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Sure. I was hesitant to place it in the other thread, since it is located in the 8mm Talk section.

Tim Duncan

#10 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:37 pm

I have placed my 16mm films there, but I wasn't sure if it was a good place either :-)

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#11 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:02 pm

If we move the whole thread to film talk in general?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#12 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me, Vidar. :-)

Tim Duncan

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
When that lamp dies...

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 3
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor