Topics outwith Film but definitely not Digital.

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:14 am

Hi All
I was wondering if any members have any objections to recent general threads regarding the
BHS and E.U. threads etc, etc, etc.
I have no problem discussing any other general topics as its a good way of getting some
general social interaction with other members and a good way of getting to know each other.
However of course we must keep things in perspective and remember what the site is
here for.
A message to those of you that do object to "general topics chat".
Please remember to at least contribute at least SOME film topics before
you complain or moan about others that do so on a regular basis then
sometimes discuss other general topics such as the state of the world.
Just saying.

David Hardy

RE: Topics outwith Film but definitely not Digital.

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:24 am

Very well put David. I think sometimes we need to let of steam about something, but film is the main reason we are here.

Robert Crewdson

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:30 am

I've said before David, I look on the forum as a night out at the pub, a general chat across a spectrum of subjects, even the dreaded
DVD, we use then in various applications, but the main thrust is of course film.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:36 am

Excellent post David, couldn't have put it better myself.

Del Phillipson

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:48 am

Those members that are not interested can choose to simply ignore other general topics anyway.
I feel however its a bit hypocritical for any member to complain about general chats if they have
not contributed anything at all to this forum on a regular basis.
I look back and again its the same one's who make regular contributions and are the backbone
of this forum.
To those members I say a BIG THANK YOU !!!
Without you guys OUR FORUM and indeed Good old Vidar would be meaningless. Vidar pays for this site we do not.
SO COME ON THE REST OF YOU ... POST A TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION OR DEBATE BUT DO SOMETHING !

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
David Hardy
Last edited Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:51 am | Top

#6 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:11 pm

I feel that general discussions might water down the real purpose of the forum that Vidar created it for. At the top of the web page it does say 'a forum solely for film media'. The yak section on another forum contains a lot of yawner topics that I wouldn't even bother to read. Yes, I could always just ignore a section like that, but I would hate for the forum to potentially be bogged down by a lot of off-topics. Does Vidar also have to pay for the amount of space used with the site? Such as, are there limits as to the amount of information stored or could we post limitless amounts of stuff at no additional cost? I don't know how it works in that respect.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Mats Abelli
Timothy Duncan

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:20 pm

It also states no nick names Tim, but they are still signing up.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:22 pm

I think Vidar intended it for film discussions only, and not promoting digital. He probably never thought of any off topic discussions.

Robert Crewdson

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:24 pm

The problem for us in Europe Tim, is that the EU directives can interfere with our hobby, even making our old projector bulbs illegal.

Robert Crewdson

#10 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Good point there Timothy.
Over to you Vidar.
Do you pay for all the space we take up and are you happy for us to have a general chats topics
at your expense when there is not much activity on the forum ?

David Hardy

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Don't forget the film treatments that are stopped by EU ruling that we can't import to the UK.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#12 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:38 pm

At the end of the day, unlike the other forum this one is 99% mainly film related talk and now and again we stray to other topics but as nobody gets hurt by it surely a little tolerance would suffice. I would say the banter on this forum is a whole lot better

Del Phillipson

#13 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:39 pm

I would certainly want to hear how Vidar feels about it. I've put my opinion out there. and if I'm in the minority, it wouldn't be the first time.

But if we do have a general topics section, can I talk about religion and my spiritual beliefs?

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:44 pm | Top

#14 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:44 pm

In the grand scheme of things, there are lots of Film related topics to add to, that are already posted on here, so no shortage of conversation there surely. On the 8mm forum, they spend a lot of time documenting their day or trying to figure out why the Elmo GS1200 has gone wrong again, I can answer that one very easily.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#15 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Oh, been to the doctors and this mornings posting is exceptional :-)

To the payment question ... I only pay 10 Euro a month and for that we get no commercial banners, limitless space, so just post all you want :-)

To the other matter, I'd like to see no digital discussions (been a couple), but I don't mind a little of topic posts, just try to not overpower the film talk, which is, as Timothy says, the main reason for this forum.

I fear a Yak section would encourage more non film talk, but I am willing to listen to what you think, as it's your forum too.

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#16 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:07 pm

I am with Timothy here. It is not a problem for me with an off topic once in a while, but the forum is made for film. I know we all feel like friends, and you want to hang out with your friends. So I can definitely see your points. But I have seen other forums (not film related) making a lot of bad atmosphere. Remember: We are a very diverse community. What binds us together is the love of films. I have noticed more than once that our other views might differ a lot. I have chose to keep my mouth shut because I don't want to make a bad atmosphere. After all I come here for the film, and I love you all guys because we can shere this love for film here. Political discussions can be enlightening, but most certainly also end bad (and I have seen this many times). I would hate if valuable members left (not matter what they mean politically) because of this.

I know we could have made a topic category with "Off topic discussions". But there is one problem here: I mostly scan the latest post list at the top to find what I have not read. If this is watered out with long discussions about bad politics, hopeless football managers, cheese, the funniest joke ever made, worthless car salesmen etc, I would soon find the latest topics functionality degraded a lot. Just my two cents. Off course, this is up to Vidar, and I will respect any decision he make.

Mats Abelli likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#17 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:24 pm

An important point to remember is this, we have over 120 members, where are they? are they content just to read? I can tell you
that there are half that number that have never contributed a post, it is down to a minority that keeps it ticking along. There are Two
forums out there that are virtually sterile, very little to no activity, which I've no doubt they'll eventually go like the proverbial "Woolies" bulb. At least a variety of subjects keeps interest and ensures conversation, even if it is the "Dirty Dozen". Vidar's forum is the smallest,
but it is certainly the most interesting.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#18 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Like Hugh states its the minority that keeps this great forum going.
Which brings me back to my previous point if you are not going to post topics or have no
intention of doing so then don't moan or complain about stuff that is general yak.
More so if they are posted by to what Hugh refers to as "The Dirty Dozen " ( or so ).
I feel they have more than earned a right to do so since they appear to be the backbone
of this very small but unique forum of ours.
If thats okay with Vidar then that's fine with me.

David Hardy
Last edited Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:38 pm | Top

#19 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:41 pm

I understand the feelings of the members wishing a "off topic" section on the forum. Being American (and a minority on this site) the views regarding things such as the EU and it's impact are of course important to our European members. But like Tim and Eivind have stated, I can also see some possible negative repercussions if the majority of the talk here becomes non-film related. Though I do find some of the off-topic discussions interesting, if it does indeed become more of that than film chat, my own visits here will certainly diminish.

Mats Abelli likes this
Douglas Warren

#20 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:41 pm

By posting topics I don't mean just merely stuffing pics into the Picture Gallery.
I mean for you to please open up a thread for some social interaction.
Come on guys you can do it if you really want to.
Or are you happy just to spectate ?
If yes then why join a FORUM ?

David Hardy
Last edited Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:42 pm | Top

#21 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Douglas ... if it does diminish to less than " film chat " then I will be the first one to head for the Exit door.
However I don't think that will happen here as our backbone members are to wise to let that happen.

David Hardy
Last edited Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:46 pm | Top

#22 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:46 pm

100% on that David as a forum is much more than pretty pictures. Not trying to undermine those who have just done photo posting, but how about some backstory on what you've posted?

Douglas Warren

#23 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Good point there Douglas.
I myself posted loads of pics to help get the site up and running in the early days.
I now need to play catch-up myself.
Still as you state when someone posts a picture they should give some background
information about it if possible.

David Hardy

#24 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:54 pm

You have a good point there, Hugh. There are a few of you that keeps this forum running with loads of activity, and it wouldn't been what it is if you were not here!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#25 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:56 pm

Vidar I hope the things went well at the doctor this morning.
Thanks for your views on this topic of not film related topics.
Thanks for paying to keep this forum going.
Without you doing so we would not be here on this unique film forum.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Mats Abelli
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Is it me or are some collectors getting out?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor