RE: Topics outwith Film but definitely not Digital.

#26 by Panayotis Carayannis , Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:17 pm

I also am against non-cinematic talk in this forum and I did object to "Your today..." on the other forum,but the majority wanted it,so, I simply ignore it. There are a million other forums and the facebook to post and talk about anything else. I was also involved in a political argument that tended to go out of limits,recently, and it made the admin to stop and eliminate it.So I say...let's stick to the movies.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Vidar Olavesen
Mats Abelli and Vidar Olavesen say Thank You!
Panayotis Carayannis  
Panayotis Carayannis
Date registered 12.05.2015
ThankYou 48

#27 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:24 pm

I'm not a fan generally of specific General Yak sections on our film forums to be honest.

I just don't necessarily see what purpose they have here, but equally, I do respect as ever, opposing views from all other members and am always more than happy to go with the flow where format is concerned, while ever the views of the majority of our members wishes are honoured here.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#28 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:37 pm

I just did a quick count of members that have logged on today.
I counted around a total of 30 including little old me. Some responded here.
I can only conclude this thread has been largely ignored or the others who
have not replied don't really care either way if our general yaks continue or not.
I rest my case ... Hahahaha !!!

David Hardy

#29 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:39 pm

I can add to that however its the usual crowd who replied with their views.
So thanks guys.

David Hardy

#30 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:27 am

Must say like things as they are, just the odd off topic chat. Like Hugh said bit like in the pub having a natter.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#31 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:34 am

I agree, it's nice being able to talk super 8 to someone other than the wife (who gets bored with it very quickly). Everyone of us have 1 thing in common, we all love film whether it be 8mm or 16mm or ever 35mm/70mm it doesn't matter so as long as we talk film I don't see a problem and every now and then if a little Blu Ray pops up in conversation I'm sure a little tolerance would kick in. As long as Digital conversations are not started as a sole topic in the first place then I don't see a problem plus there's nothing wrong with the odd bit of banter now and again when it's quiet, it keeps things ticking over

Del Phillipson

#32 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:43 am

As you say Del a little bit of non film banter keeps things "ticking over" when the forum
is quiet.

David Hardy

#33 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:53 am

I don't see anything wrong with the forum as it is now. I was never a fan of 'General Yak' in the other forum, but then I never thought of those people as friends. The atmosphere in this forum is much different, just a conversation amongst friends.

Robert Crewdson

#34 by Paul Browning , Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:58 am

There are some that would say a lot of politics in a discussion on film and all things related to it, but general yak is fine by me, however heated it gets !!!!. You need to stand up and be counted sometimes, so often in life now are we told to be "PC " , i see the forum as a platform, to speak out and not be chastised for having an opinion even if you don't agree with it.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#35 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:55 am

Even better Paul if it is surrounding film related topics. I watch Question Time for all else myself.

Andrew Woodcock

#36 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:57 am

Well said Paul. I sounded off a few days ago concerning a certain dealer that I once viewed as a friend, my language was ripe, and I
apologise for that, but when you've been let down more than once, then see him compound it further in a mag, well I was annoyed,
it ain't politics, religion or digital, but it was important to me and I hope serve as a learning curve to other members/collectors, don't be taken in by them, your wants are seldom taken on board, in my case, it was done on purpose, you are punters, nothing more.

Eivind Mork likes this
Paul Browning sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:02 pm | Top

#37 by Paul Browning , Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:51 pm

I watch question time Andrew, but in in all honesty it should be called " not those questions this time". Its heavily by vetted by aunty beeb, the people, the questions who's on there, and political leaning, beautifully rehearsed and well staged by them, so to be biased at all times.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#38 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Well said Hugh, and I'm acutely aware of all of what you correctly point there in a very honest manner as always!

It was just an off the cuff analogy btw Paul.

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:58 pm | Top

#39 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:51 pm

So what is the final decision about having a general discussion area? And will that decision be made by one person or based on the majority? I think that the most involved members have made their feelings on the matter pretty clear.

Timothy Duncan

#40 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:52 pm

I will leave it up to you guys to decide. Personally, I only want film threads, but do not mind the occasional non-film comments (as long as it's not digital talk). I vote for no new forum part for General Yak

Eivind Mork likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#41 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:56 pm

Okay so we don't really need a General Yak part on the forum.
The reason being if you analyse most of these threads and topics they have a tendency to
go slightly off on a tangent anyway then go back again to the original topic.
So things are fine the way they are even if we do go off course sometimes and
yak or rant about a non-film topic. You are free to contribute to it or not as
it pleases you or even ignore it which happens anyway with some film related topics.
So it may be best the status-quo remains.

David Hardy

#42 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Well here's a thing, when I was having my little tirade, one member, who is obviously not a big contributor, twelve posts in nearly 12 months, and four of them at me,that's his quota for this year, no doubt snuggling his nuts under a stone somewhere, at least
I got four posts out of him. The point is, if they have nothing to add elsewhere, to hell with them, who needs "thought police" on here.
Also, hope all is well after your Doctors visit Vidar.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:33 pm | Top

#43 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:12 pm

I thought this was a "general yak" about film and film related topics.Each thread was a "yak" on the topic ???
I for one see no need to alter the site ,if you got something to say say it like I said before if you don't like what you see use your off button📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#44 by Michael Lattavo , Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:23 pm

There seems to be a lot of frustration over people who are registered and don't contribute a lot (like me!).

To be honest, I started by collecting 16mm. Last year, I bought my first 8mm projector - the first time I tried to use it the speed knob broke off, so I joined this and the other 8mm forum in search of advice on how to fix it. After I fixed it, I put the 8mm projector away and went right back to 16mm. Forgot about this and the other 8mm forum. It wasn't until a few months ago, when I started collecting super 8, that I started looking at the two 8mm forums again.

My point being that, just because there are 120 members, doesn't mean that there are 120 people who are sitting in a dark room each night reading without contributing. Some may have joined out of curiosity, or to get a quick answer to a question, etc. etc., moved on and never bothered to come back to de-activate their account.

I remember when I joined my first forum, when I first got into 16mm - I spent several months just reading through old posts, learning and learning and learning. It was a long time before I ever posted, because, quite frankly, I had nothing to say.

Some people like to post multiple times a day. Some people, for whatever reason, never post - does it really matter?

Anyway, to get back on topic, I agree with most of the posts I have read on this subject that topics without film is fine, and can be interesting, as long as the primary focus of the forum is film.

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#45 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:30 pm

Well nice to "hear" from you Michael, on postings etc, I can't understand why someone would join a forum and not want any input,
they might as well read a cine magazine. The point of a forum is for people to voice their opinions and views on various points that
are of interest to them, what kind of forum would it be if all members were content to read and not post, it would stagnate very
quickly, no, we want to see your points of interest or anything else, no one is going to bite your head off, get busy.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#46 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:40 pm

And we all (I think?) want to see posts of your equipment, your prints with screenshots, you interests and who knows, maybe it leads to friendship. With no input, how can we learn about each other and the views we all have. Sometimes different views, but that's healthy.

I'd love to have more cine friends, though I am happy with the ones I have, lovely bunch you are.

Eivind Mork likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#47 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Exactly Vidar, now Vidar is a great guy, but he's getting sick of all the quips about horns on his helmet, bad back through rowing all those big boats around the seven seas and all the overtime and week end work pillaging villages, that aside, he runs a great forum.

Eivind Mork likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott

#48 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:13 pm

I think I have written about this before, but when I was new at my first film forum I felt I didn't have anything to say or contribute and was afraid to say something stupid. I din't even have a projector. I just joined to be able to use the "new since your last visit" functionality (I think it was that I joined for). When I didn't write it was certainly not because I did not care or didn't bother to contribute. I didn't own a single cine magazine for old projectors. And you wouldn't get half of the info in a magazine as in here. I have never heard about your film mess sandwich technique (as I read about today) any other place, and don't expect to read it in a magazine any time yet :-) You have to read here to get that gold.

And with children, family and work taking most of my time, I don't have the same amount of time every day, I use far more time here than on any other website at the moment, and still I don't contribute a fraction of what many of you do. I guess most of my "contributions" are pushing the "Top" button. Off course we could encourage people to write and repeatedly say that just a "Hi" is appreciated.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#49 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:37 pm

But now you are contributing, Eivind and I am happy you do.

Eivind Mork sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#50 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:52 pm

I don't know why, but the digital posts of film stills look much better than digital video. They do retain a film look. On the discs I collect them too and some times on the older titles the extras are great. I love those then and now on the Dollar films.

I would never part with my film collection though. In fact its in my will to be buried with me if no one wants it. Then I'll have something to watch. Remember in heaven its film only, and every print is perfect like the first run.

I bought a 16mm Eiki/Elf projector that came from the Gothic Film Society in London Christopher Lee was something to do with them too. It would be nice to think he had sat and watched a film shown on this projector.

Keep things as they are I like this forum best. You get a little of everything. Thanks Vidar.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Is it me or are some collectors getting out?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor