Have you ever purchased another's home movies?

#1 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:13 pm

I recently came across a home movie (Super-8, color / sound on a 400' reel) of a subject of interest. I decided to go ahead and purchase it (arriving today.) Have any members come across family home movies for sale and purchased them? I'm a aviation fan and the film coming in contains footage of air racing from 1980. Not sure what the quality will be like but due to the rarity of the event I felt it was worth taking a risk on.

Douglas Warren

RE: Have you ever purchased another's home movies?

#2 by Eivind Mork , Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:16 pm

No, but I have considered a couple. One filmed in Oslo (where I live) and of old steam trains.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:23 pm

Being a film shot by an amateur the quality may be a bit uneven but I figure if there's enough footage of the subject at hand,the risk is worth it. I didn't pay much for the reel ($15.00) so if it's a bust, no big loss in my opinion.

Douglas Warren

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:32 pm

Not for the reason of owning them, but got in collections bought. I have not much need for them, but can not throw film unless it is unusable (warped)

Eivind Mork likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:55 pm

For me if the content (in this case aviation related) is desired it's worth the risk.

Douglas Warren

#6 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:36 am

Only once...

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan
Last edited Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:43 am | Top

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:01 pm

I ended up with some amateur footage accidentally. I bought a 400ft 16mm film titled Historic Britain, castles etc: it turned out to be amateur footage, with a few people on there that were known to the photographer. Then I bought two aviation films, one was of the Hendon Air Display, 1929. I was very pleased to discover this was not a commercial print, as it will be the only copy. I bought a 100ft reel that had been shot by a Vicar in 1935 or 36, and it included footage of the air display at Speke , now John Lennon airport. Part of the display was Alan Cobham's Flying Circus. The display attracted a crowd of 10,000 people, the largest outside of London.

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:09 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Here is the one home movie that I have bought off of eBay. It came with the original film box that had a date of November 1959 (to be processed by). The address of the film's original owner was on the back, so I'm assuming the box was used to ship the film in to/from the processing lab. It made me want to do a little investigation online to see if the house was still there and indeed it is! I'm not so sure if this is where the pool in the film was located, but it's where the processed film would have been mailed to. On Realtor.com, there is one photo of the front of the house, a 1,515 square ft. home built in 1955. It looks like it has been maintained all these years and the house changed hands last in the 1990's.

The film was labelled 'Blanton's Pool Party' and contained images of young and old having fun in and around the pool. I am amazed by the wonderful color left in this film. It would be neat to locate some of the people that were in these recorded memories but I am sure by now that most, if not all of the adults in the film have passed on.

Eivind Mork likes this
Timothy Duncan
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:20 pm | Top

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Kodachrome seems to simply last forever Timothy. There is not one single trace of any fade on any of my Home Movies to date! Magical stuff is Kodachrome!!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:35 pm

posted twice the same response for some reason???

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:36 pm | Top

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:57 pm

I do find this very sad, these unknown folk, doing their thing to us an unknown watcher, how tragic. These films belong with their families, not us. I remember Tony of Bucks Films, telling me how folk came in with films to be transferred to video, and leaving the
original film behind as unwanted, he was as shocked as I was when he told me, a film stock that will still have colour a hundred years from now, is universal, it can be shown anywhere in this world, just chucked like so much rubbish, people are spoiled and unappreciative
thinking that todays techno is forever, how short sighted, how very sad. Just as an after thought, I had a job where there had been a house fire, I was sent in to do remedial works, photos were laying about, I gathered them up, even the damaged ones, luckily I knew the
family and passed them on, its their history, not ours. I suppose ebay might be a saviour of sorts in that these films are kept from destruction.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:05 pm | Top

#12 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:42 pm

The copy of Historic Britain that I bought is Kodachrome from 1937.

Robert Crewdson

#13 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:52 am

If only our Super-8 features and digests had (and maintained) color like Kodachrome does. Tim,my late Father's old Standard 8 movies (he started shooting film in 1956 to 1971) still have nice color like your screenshots. That's very neat about your research on the home address and that the house is still there. As Hugh pointed out,it is sad that so many of these films wound up being binned after being transferred to other mediums. I can only imagine how horrid (if even still playable) some of the film to VHS transfers look now.

Douglas Warren
Last edited Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:52 am | Top

#14 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:39 am

I wish that our family had films like these (of my parents, grandparents and so forth). Some videotapes were made (and I transferred those to discs a few years ago myself), but I have nothing of my paternal grandparents but a few photos. There were absolutely no film cameras or projectors owned by any of my family, but I have always had a fascination for them. The seller of this film only had the one reel for sale, so there's no telling whose possession it's been in over the years. It did, however, come from a seller in Texas.

Timothy Duncan

#15 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:49 pm

My preferred film was Perutz, I also shot on Agfachrome. The colours on these all appear to have held up well. I wasn't keen on the original Ektachrome 160.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Earthquake Done

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor