Clapperboard TV

#1 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:33 pm

Used to rush home from school to watch this programme. Think it was on Monday the ITV network.

And remember this was children's television.

From a time when things were better. That's my take on life.

Clapperboard.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

RE: Clapperboard TV

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:45 pm

I'd forgotten all about that one David! A great reminder of childhood there. Thanks for sharing it!😂😂

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:45 pm

Oh yes David Clapperboard hosted by Chris Kelly.
It was a junior version of Granada TVs CINEMA.
It ran from 1972-1982 , 254 episodes , x 25mins each.
I was left school by that time and working as an Cinema Projectionist
at that time but always watched whenever I could.
I remember the one featuring Ray Harryhausen.
These were great shows aimed a younger audience but you would never
have thought it as it seemed to cross the age gaps.

David Hardy
Last edited Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:46 pm | Top

#4 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Pathe News Clapperboard

Clapperboard Pathe

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:51 pm

As for CINEMA it ran from 1964-1975. 534 Episodes.
Its hosts were as follows ...
Bamber Gascoigne
Derek Granger
Michael Scott
Mark Shivas
Michael Parkinson
Clive James
Brian Trueman.

NUTA A LOTTA PEOPLE KNOW THAT !!!

David Hardy

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:52 pm

I watched that every week as well. I remember they showed the winner of the 10 best amateur films, something like 'a Day in the life of Joe Soap', or was it 'Joe Egg?'. Although designated a children's programme, it was suitable for anyone.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:52 pm

More Clapperboard

Clapperboard Star Wars.

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#8 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Even more Clapperboard

Clapperboard Space 1999

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#9 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks for those links David.

David Hardy

#10 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Been really nostalgic for the last few days. What with music and watching old TV shows theme tunes.

Do you remember Mike Rodd? and Screen Test.

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#11 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:12 pm

jeepers, great memories there, i also forgotten about these programmes. (a bit like the double deckers, only one series, )

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:36 pm

It was always my ambition to get a film on that programme that was on during Saturday morning's that ran a young film makers competition.

Alas the nearest my mates and me ever got was filming a crappy old common a garden air show in Debdale Park! Ha ha.
Hardly award winning stuff!

Oh there was another, a silent slapstick styled comedy that included such illusions as using a hidden hosepipe side on to look like a 10yr old kid had the pissing power of an elephant! Lol.
We figured that one would be censored by the TV companies back then.
It did have some slightly more ingenious and less obvious moments, like a brilliant illusion of one of us being the size of Tom Thumb using the old depth of field gag.
You know the sort.. one kid sticks his hand out 3ft from camera...the other kid stands on a bloody big hill quarter of a mile away looking like he's jumping on the other kids hand 4 inches tall.

I can distinctly remember rushing home from my cycling proficiency test lessons at my primary school playground on a Saturday morning to watch this, keen as mustard I was!

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:43 pm | Top

#13 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:47 pm

Andrew, I used to enter The Young Film makers Competition. I was a runner up when I was about 13 and they sent me two rolls of film. Although they didn't screen the film, they did talk about the publicity posters we submitted.

Jonathan Trevithick

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:02 pm

Bet your film wasn't about competing with an elephant in the pissing department!

Well played Jonathan!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:05 pm | Top

#15 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:16 pm

No Andrew but it was a comedy! It was called Thursday 12th and was loosely based upon Peter Cushing in 'The Ghoul'.

Jonathan Trevithick

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:38 pm

I knew it would be far more sophisticated than our lame attempts Jonathan! Ha ha

We bought the silent cartridge for 50p from a newsagents near the park in 77, it was meant to be! The film ordinarily would have been about £3 top dollar as I remember, it was K40 after all! ha ha. She had to let us have it so cheap as it had been stuck on her shelf close to the shop window since 1972! I kid you not, the packaging was almost white from sun bleaching lol. The backside was perfect yellow and red but the front of this film was knackered.

We had 75p between us, but we offered her 50p which she ripped our hand off to get.Do you know what though mate, it still developed absolutely perfect. The colours were outstanding on those Red Arrows stunt shots with all that red, white and blue smoke pouring out.

Andrew Woodcock

#17 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:00 am

Andrew, I shot on K40. I had it striped later by a firm in Exeter (Seccombe?) and it has not faded a bit. The sound drops out on the splices but I still enjoy watching it occasionally, on film of course!

Jonathan Trevithick

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:02 am

Striped, striped.. posh git! ha ha ha Never seen a sound film back then Jonathan let alone thought about making my own one!

Not got either of mine sadly now Jonathan. I'm a person that looks after my belongings but me and my mate back then had a deal. a fortnight each on ownership. I had a fall out with him because he said he had lost it in the house shortly afterwards during "his weeks" (yeah right) and that was that.
Never seen sight nor sound of Phil since that day. He was a hell of a drummer though I remember. The only kid I knew who's Mum & Dad allowed them to have a full sized drum kit in the front room! It was a victorian massively sized terrace house to be fair.

I bet the neighbours loved him, spoiled Bastard! (only child)

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:12 am | Top

#19 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:25 am

Haha. No i'm not a posh git. We didn't even have a sound projector, just silent. My Dad knew someone who had a TV Style Chinon sound projector and I was allowed to borrow that occasionally.
Returning to Clapperboard, it was the first TV show I ever taped on VHS. It was a report on Time Bandits with Terry Gilliam.

Jonathan Trevithick

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:27 am

Ohhh I get it.. it was your Dad who hung around posh gits!

The whole clapperboard thing brought back just the vaguest of memories for me. Something clearly I must only have had one eye on at the time.
Still brilliant though to re live our past with like minded individuals here! Who needs FB!!
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot....women!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:31 am | Top

#21 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:13 pm

If memory serves me right, it was on the first episode that Michael Rod had Ray Harryhausen and his model of Gwangi, to coincide
with clips from the film that the children would be asked questions on theire powers of observation. John Noakes also had a similar
bit on one of his shows, interviewing Ray,still have the bit.In fact there were a lot of appearances of Ray on TV that I compiled on a disc and sent him on his 90th Birthday.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:13 pm | Top

#22 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Here's one for David Hardy, while "Cinema" was on TV, in '64, so was "Late Night Line Up" on BBC 2, presented by Film Expert Tony Bilbow, he also presented "Film Night" "I'll bet even less people know that" said Michael Caine.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#23 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:13 pm

Yep I knew that Hugh. The Late Night Line Up segment ... ' The Film World Past and Present'
later morphed into Film Night ( BBC 2 1969-1976 )
The Late Night Line Up segment was also presented by Philip Jenkinson. who also presented
Film Night.
Nuta lotta people remember that....hahahaha !!

David Hardy
Last edited Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:14 pm | Top

#24 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:32 pm

I didn't know that David, and it was a long time before we got a TV capable of showing BBC 2. Our McMichael TV lasted from about 1964 until the 1980s.

Robert Crewdson

#25 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi David, if you notice when it mentions Bamboo Gastove as a presenter of "Cinema", he only ever presented one, George Melly presented three, and didn't get a mention, then they had the Directors and Actors presenting it each week.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
BHS Closures.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor