Movies .... A help for Alzheimers??

#1 by David Ralph ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 10:05 am

I was talking to a friend regarding my hobby (obsession) of collecting super 8mm films and the discussion turned to my Mum and Father in Law who are both knocking on the door of '90' and that they always talk about 'things that happened in the past'. I looked on the internet and found this:-

Why Movies Are Good for Alzheimer’s

Most of us have a favorite movie or two. What we want to watch can depend on our mood. Understandably, we often associate a film or TV show with the good (or bad) times in our lives.

For people with Alzheimer’s, those links between certain movies and memories are not necessarily lost. In fact, movies can help bring back some of the best memories and even spark conversation. Whether they like black and white films, westerns, musicals or another genre, seniors with Alzheimer’s can benefit from watching movies and TV shows as a regular activity.

Choosing the Right Movie or TV Show

A good movie experience can leave a person with Alzheimer’s in a better mood and more engaged with others. It can also help bridge generations, giving grandparents and grandchildren something to share.

How do you choose the right movie or TV show for a loved one with Alzheimer’s? Generally, it is a good idea to find movies that are:
•Fun and upbeat
•Shorter in length (under two hours)
•Not violent and do not portray serious illness or death
•Simpler in terms of plot and number of characters

Recommended Viewing for Alzheimer’s Patients

A Place for Mom asked our Facebook fans what movies and television shows their loved ones with Alzheimer’s enjoy. By far, musicals (and any TV shows with music) received the most recommendations. Some favorite actors include Shirley Temple, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Doris Day, Elvis Presley and Humphrey Bogart.

Here are the top suggestions on films and TV shows for seniors with Alzheimer’s:
•The Andy Griffith Show (1960-1968)
•Bonanza (1959-1973)
•Calamity Jane (1953)
•Camelot (1967)
•The Carol Burnett Show (1967-1978)
•Grumpy Old Men (1993)
•Guys and Dolls (1955)
•I Love Lucy (1951-1957)
•It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)
•The Lawrence Welk Show (1955-1982)
•Leave it to Beaver (1957-1963)
•Paint Your Wagon (1969)
•Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
•The Sound of Music (1965)
•The Waltons (1971-1981)
•West Side Story (1961)
•The Wizard of Oz (1939)

What struck me was the fact that the audience would benefit from 'shorter' films and of course a lot of the films 'we' have are digests and the list of films certainly contains films that are available on 8mm.
I'm going to see what is required to show films at a OAP's home as the films are only licensed for 'home use' and whether there are other restrictions etc. but maybe, if you have already done this give me some pointers - I would be grateful.

David Ralph

RE: Movies .... A help for Alzheimers??

#2 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 10:33 am

Great post David.

Del Phillipson

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 11:18 am

Indeed Del.

It's a story all too close to home for many is this very very sadly. It definitely seems also to be on the increase.
A good crossword a day or complex game of Sudoku is also believed to keep the cogs free from seizure I am led to believe.
It's a good habit to get into from middle age onwards.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 31, 2016 3:11 pm | Top

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 2:54 pm

This is a very interesting post indeed. Thanks for sharing that information.
However the same can apply to certain pieces of music or books and plays and paintings.

David Hardy

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 7:18 pm

That is a very poignant posting from Dave, but one must take into consideration anyone wishing to take
on themselves putting shows on for people, the criteria asked for, hoops to be jumped through, ideals to be met,
in other words, bugger it, let 'em suffer mainstream TV. The elderly in our country are sadly not revered as in others, even
though they have much to offer in wisdom, I have a few old folks homes in easy reference, but I refuse to jump through all the red tape.
Putting up a screen and showing film....... a threat????

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue May 31, 2016 7:44 pm | Top

#6 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm getting on in years, mentally I'm still a youngster, reading background on your films, get in there, soak it up, buy the cheap
editions from Amazon. Pack in mainstream telly, even watching your films with subtitles will help. Don't any of you buggers even think of getting old.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm getting on in years, mentally I'm still a youngster, reading background on your films, books, get in there, soak it up, buy the cheap
editions from Amazon. Pack in mainstream telly, even watching your films with subtitles will help. Don't any of you buggers even think of getting old.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue May 31, 2016 8:05 pm | Top

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 8:12 pm

Hugh I agree with you there. Watching mainstream TV is a shit and moronic habit that does more
harm than good.
A bit like streaming movies and watching them on a teensy screen.
The same applies to downloading music and listening to it on a crappy
sound system.

David Hardy

#9 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 8:14 pm

In fact I sometimes wonder why I still have a telly as it is very rarely on except
for when my Granddaughter visits me.

David Hardy

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 8:51 pm

I just use it for the HORROR channel and C4 and RT NEWS, they report, not the homogenised shit from the BBC etc.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#11 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2016 9:28 pm

Hugh...I must admit I do watch the ones you mention but also BBC Four for the Music Docs and sometimes
a movie.
However as far as the BeeB in general goes you can shove it up their erse .

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
My new beauty

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor