The new movie room

#1 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 10:36 am

Been in my new home for a month now and the new movie room is just about complete. Basically, it's an upstairs lounge, measuring about 5m x 5m. I had an AV guy I know to install the video projector in the ceiling and sound cabling under the carpet for the 5.1 system.
As you can see, the GS1200 sits underneath the Sony projector. The bluray player sits neatly next to it with the amplifier housed underneath.
As it is also being used as a lounge, I have not put up a screen. I am projecting onto a white wall with great results, giving me about 3.5m wide images on video and film.
Tonight, I will be watching super8 scope trailers for 'Empire Strikes Back', 'Lethal Weapon 2' and 'The Untouchables'. The feature will be 'The Manchrian Candidate' (remake) on bluray.

Attached pictures:
2016-05-28 18.17.02.jpg  

Eivind Mork likes this
Jonathan Trevithick

RE: The new movie room

#2 by Eivind Mork , Sat May 28, 2016 10:53 am

Congratulations! The untouchables is great! Enjoy your new room!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 12:02 pm

Hey, fantastic set up you have there now Jonathan! Very professional my friend.

Enjoy you first screening session in your fabulous new Home Cinema there!

Ps..I love "A Fish Called Wanda" also! Must give it a run out soon.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat May 28, 2016 12:36 pm | Top

#4 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 12:10 pm

Looks and sounds great Jonathan, nice to see a trusty old GS1200 in there, every good home cinema should have one

Del Phillipson

#5 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Elvind, The Untouchables is also one of my favourites. I saw it 6 times at the movies in the late 80s.
A Fish Called Wanda is one of my top ten favourites too, Andrew. Then again, i'm a massive John Cleese fan and had a drink with him and Eric Idle when they were over here recently.
I'm uploading some photos of the trailers plus my film storage room under the stairs which houses my little collection nicely.
Del, Andrew may not agree but yes you're right, every home should have a GS1200!

Attached pictures:
20160528_185255.jpg   20160528_185425.jpg   20160528_185530.jpg  

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and David Ollerearnshaw
Jonathan Trevithick

#6 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 1:28 pm

The storage room...

Attached pictures:
2016-05-28 21.26.38.jpg  

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
Jonathan Trevithick

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 4:09 pm

Very neat and tidy Jonathan, I only wish I was half as organized!!

I'd say the same surrounding Beaulieu Jonathan & Del.
I notice your using the very same scope lens in your GS there Jonathan as i use for my projector.

The Untouchables, though rare, is available on Super 8mm in optical sound as a full feature.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat May 28, 2016 4:21 pm | Top

#8 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Jonathan, you have the same rewinds as me, the Elmo one's, mine have been absolutely fantastic, a must have for cleaning films and save the motor's on your beloved projectors when rewinding

Del Phillipson

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 4:22 pm

I wouldn't recommend any projector for rewinding film while attempting to clean it.
Very bad practice.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat May 28, 2016 4:22 pm | Top

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 5:56 pm

Well I wouldn't go as far as that Andrew, the Fumeo has a very powerful motor and the tensions can be altered on both spool arms.
I can see the point on smaller machines, but I've cleaned many a film on my old trusty S709 to no ill effect. The proper way is to use rewinds, but not all our collector friends have them, and at some of the prices being asked I can see why. An old projector could be utilised for this process. Indeed, when the "lazy" mood is on me, I use the 16mm machines to do the job, usually in forward mode, even
though the rewinds are there on a board, it can be beneficial, one concentrates on the cleaning cloth, instead of the rewind.
Lovely set up Jonathan, nice and tidy, a credit to you young Sir.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat May 28, 2016 5:58 pm | Top

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 6:21 pm

The Fumeo is certainly the ONE machine judging by the size of motor fitted, that could cope without too much strain, but on any I've used in the old days before I had an alternative, it isn't just the motor that takes a hit from doing this, but the spindle clutch friction linings etc etc.
Whenever I've first received a new machine to me, I can always tell whether or not they have been used to clean films with and one or two of the ST 1200s I first received, needed immediate attention due to incorrect and insufficient rewind torque due to worn friction linings.
I know people like Rob Young over on the other forum has also had similar issues with his Beaulieu.

Once you cease to use the projector for the purpose of cleaning film, I've found those same clutches and friction linings last much much longer without the need for continual adjustments to them via the collar and spring.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat May 28, 2016 6:31 pm | Top

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Take the point Andrew, but like I said, my old S709 cleaned them all, I just used least pressure on rewind, it was a once only
process with 2.22, once was enough, it only died last year, bought in ' 71/72, it didn't do badly, but your point is still valid.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat May 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Looking good. Those ELMO rewinds are well made. Had mine for years, ruined my Goko with a 800ft spool so use the rewinds on that too. I also have a the Spondon extender for 6000ft 16mm and super 8 mounted these on a separate board just for cleaning. Bought a ECCO cleaning machine from Christies in 86 which does up to 70mm semi auto uses felt pads to soak the cleaning fluid and lint free bandage type to clean the film. Works a treat.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#14 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Dave, you make me feel primitive, you are the man. I just soak a chunk of Chamois leather in my liquid, made by me ( keep it clean lads ) and just let it go through the motion, I've discovered my solution not only cleans but gets rid of any surface marks, indeed check my pictures on forum.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat May 28, 2016 8:30 pm | Top

#15 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Nice one Jonathan.
You are now well on your way to settling in your new home now.
Its going to take me some time yet.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
A throw of the hat

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor