RE: Latest issue of Film Collector Mag.

#76 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:11 pm

I cant help feeling that if the thread is deleted it would be a bit like removing a ...
"BEWARE OF QUICKSAND" notice or "DO NOT DRINK THE WATER".
Might be best to just close the topic but NOT delete it.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Hardy

#77 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:29 pm

It should just be down to the majority view point imho David.
Be it to end the thread or perhaps as other forums do, delete just the small sections that others may have been offended by.

I take on board what you say here though David , that it is positive thing to report both positive and negative experiences when dealing with our remaining dealers.
It does help others to become forewarned.

I look forward to reading the viewpoint of hopefully many others here before any decision can be concluded from this.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:32 pm | Top

#78 by Dave Alligan , Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:33 pm

I have had many dealings with CHC and some not very pleasant in deed and yes he does not treat some of his customers very well, he can come over as very rude and abusive but one last point that might some it up, he has put an article in HIS magazine about DVD piracy but how many of his films does he have the super 8 rights for, very few I would say if any, look at the Bond extracts that he has bought out, none of these are legal, if EON found out about these they would have him in court as fast as his legs could carry him.
So it does smack of double standards to me in which he is having a swipe at somebody who does piracy but he does it himself, and has he got permission to reprint the article from the newspaper, which he should have.

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#79 by Eivind Mork , Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:39 pm

You are right about the forum rules, David. And you are right about that people should know about experiences with the dealers. But this turned out quite extreme in my eyes. Phil is still a person, and it is possible to make the point without going this far. Again, this does not mean that I do not acknowledge the experience people have had with the dealer. I guess our everyday language might differ quite a lot, and that would have a lot to say on how we interpret the level of the expressions :-) I for instance is raised to never swear :-) So I need to adjust my interpretation a bit sometimes.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#80 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:51 pm

You've clearly had a very good wholesome upbringing Eivind. Mine too wasn't dissimilar, though I don't claim to be whiter than white. ha ha ha.
All of my own rants are a reflection of myself and my own personality and none of it comes with the approval of either of my parents for my outbursts and behaviours at times whilst they were both still alive.

I am 50 now and my Mum still corrects me when she feels I have ever been less than polite to anyone! 😁😁

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:55 pm | Top

#81 by Eivind Mork , Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:58 pm

Just to make it very clear: I have never looked at myself as wither than white! :-)

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#82 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:22 pm

So there you go then. Different strokes for different folks.
One man's justified angry rant about something is another's offensive or abusive behaviour.
Catch 22 there it seems to me.

David Hardy

#83 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:05 pm

We shall see David based on what others may say. I know Robert said he was interested in this thread so let's see what he makes of it all among others.

Andrew Woodcock

#84 by Paul Browning , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Hugh's a good guy for sure, and like marmite. One thing i have learned on the forums you never know who 's got your back covered, and there are some snides who smile in your
face but will stab you in the back as soon as you turn. I like the man he's straight talking with no bull, you know where you stand with him. Not many tell it as it is, he does, heed the warning, its free.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#85 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:12 pm

He is indeed a stalwart of the film collecting fraternity and an extremely knowledgeable man. Hugh knows all too well that it was his posts above all others, that drew me to joining up over on the other forum quite a few years back now!

He is a straight talking man that has a heart of gold I've found.

This makes his treatment from CHC all the more baffling and equally sorrowful for people who have got to know Hugh to a decent level.

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:14 pm | Top

#86 by Eivind Mork , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:24 pm

Hugh is a great man for sure! I also have learned first hand that he has a heart of gold! I think he is the one here I have said thank you to the most, and I have meant it every time! I like very much his honesty! He never talk behind anyone's back, but says it straight. But I would not be honest if I didn't say this thread went a bit too extreme in my view. I can say that and still appreciate Hugh. If anyone here has, he have shown me the value of being honest. This is not a vote for or against Hugh, just if the thread should end or not. I hope everyone get that point, otherwise it would make me very sad!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#87 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:30 pm

I wanted to say a few words in regard to the comments by Mr Armer. When this forum was originally set up, as the internet's only film forum to discuss only film, one of the first things to be decided was 'What are the rules'; having been verbally abused because we commented that digital projection was being promoted more and more in one of the other forums, it was decided to break away and build a new forum, devoted solely to the traditional way of watching movies. One of the first rules was that there would be no personal attacks on other members. Mr Sheard is not a member of this or any other film forum. There is nothing against criticism of a dealer. I notice in the rules that it just says 'personal attacks', it was meant to cover other members only. If you are a member of any of the other forums, you will know that they have sections such as 'Beware this Ebay dealer', or 'Bad Ebay Experiences'. Was it the language you objected to or the criticism, which was not in breach of forum rules.

I have had both positive and negative dealings with CHC. The first time I contacted them about 8 or 9 years ago was to buy a 16mm cine camera. My payment details were taken, I was told the camera would be posted on a Thursday with a lot of other orders. Before signing off I was asked if I wanted the camera as a display piece, which I though odd. I said I wanted it to use. a few days later I received a call to say that the camera had something missing, so they couldn't sell it to me. Yet, 8 years down the line, the camera is still being advertised for sale: WHY?

Then there was the time I wanted a 2,200 ft reel; I was told that it couldn't be sent by Royal Mail, so would cost £15 postage, or I could buy a feature film and it could be included. I decided to phone Paul Foster to see if he could help me. He not only provided me with a reel, but the postage was only £4.50, and it came by Royal Mail letter post; something Mr Sheard said couldn't be done.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Robert Crewdson

#88 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:31 pm

I have to agree with David #70 and everyone has there own personal experiences with various dealers.
Possibly enough has been said on this thread and maybe it's time to move on,but I think the thread should be left.📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#89 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Robert I can remember that point regarding the spool.

David Hardy

#90 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:37 pm

I had some bad experiences with Derann, and the Widescreen Centre was always a negative. Hugh is a great man, generous to a fault. Being a Northerner, he speaks plain. Most of my father's side were Lancashire, so I understand him.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Robert Crewdson
Last edited Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:39 pm | Top

#91 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Yes Robert no dealer is perfect. Not even DFS and the less said about The Widescreen Centre the
better. They could be a right pain in the arse at times besides being a bit of a rip-off price wise !

Gwyn Morgan likes this
David Hardy

#92 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:42 pm

So it's different experiences for each collector,but I don't feel anyone has been insulted or whatever it's all down to a persons point of view and the thread should remain.At the end of the day there's always an off switch.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#93 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:45 pm

I agree 100% with you there Gwyn. You can always switch off or just ignore the thread.
After all we are all grown ups here are we not ?

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
David Hardy

#94 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:07 pm

THE WIDESCREEN CENTRE. A ponsy toffee nose,
we tried dealing with them many times and they looked down at there noses at my Brother when he took the trouble to visit there shop.
They had absolutely no time for him. He walked in there with £400 cash in his back pocket, as he left he told them what he thought of them. They were rude and if i could see Shapps now i know exactly what i would say to him. We have no idea why they were always like this, clearly we didn't belong to his gang of wankers.
I make no apologies for this comment, if it happened the once i would simply pass it by but we made enquiries more than once and appeared to dismissed every time.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#95 by Eivind Mork , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:11 pm

Quote: David Hardy wrote in post #93

After all we are all grown ups here are we not ?

Remember that I am only 39. Not sure if that counts as grown up here in this forum ;-)

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#96 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:16 pm

I used to buy Movie Maker and Film Making regularly, and if they hit the bookstalls on a Thursday, there was usually a postal order in the post for something on the Friday. On at least 2 occasions I sent for something advertised by the Widescreen Centre, the day after the mag came out. both times I received a letter telling me the price had gone up. When I explained that it was only advertised the day before I was told the advert was sent in 3 months ago. Never had this problem with any other advertiser. Should have been reported to Trading Standards.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Robert Crewdson

#97 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:19 pm

I'm glad I never had any dealings with this company back in the day. I used them this time around but the Bonum stuff I purchased was all bargain basement stuff they were basically, just clearing their shelves of.

In the early 90's they were the exclusive dealership to sell the later Beaulieu Stereo models. I strongly suspect that is where the one I now have was purchased from, but the prices back then, as advertised in the FFTC editions of that time, were absolutely ridiculous.

You could have purchased a brand new car almost for the same money!!

In some respects, I'm relieved I took the years out of the hobby I did when I look back on the prices paid by enthusiasts back then. Phew!! 😂😂

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#98 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:13 pm

I had some dealings with them back in the day.
Until I saw the light. It was not in Widescreen though.
Some folks thought these guys were Gods and still worship them to this day. hahaha !!!
A bunch of rip-off merchants in my opinion.
Still to be positive they did send me regular useful newsletters and leaflets which I still have
in files.

David Hardy

#99 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:15 pm

There was a saying about the Widescreen Centre ... " Go in OK ... Come out Broke ! "

David Hardy

#100 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:22 pm

You certainly needed a few bob, that's for sure!

That's one thing, but the snobbery attachment Tom spoke of earlier is nonsense. All customers should have been treated with the same respect. Anyone's hard earned is as good as the next man's and all spending carried out there should have been accepted as equally important.

There, I knew we'd get back on topic somehow! 😁😁

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:26 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Robert Crewdson

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor