How much space would be required?

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 12:04 pm

Having just replied to a recent Spondon LPU question that was asked here by a member, it got me thinking of just how much room would be needed to show an average feature film in one run when using a 16mm machine, rather than a Super 8mm one.

I've seen these huge floor standing pedestal projectors that often are made by Fumeo and the likes, but you'd need an enormous amount of room to accommodate one and of course, the all essential separate booth to shove it in.

Other than that I've seen these platter contraptions that send the film all around the room via a series of pulleys and rollers before finally entering the projector.

Does anyone here actually show 16mm feature films in one run and on one spool, and if so, what arrangements do you have for doing so?

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed May 04, 2016 1:01 pm | Top

RE: How much space would be required?

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed May 04, 2016 12:52 pm

I've shown two feature in one run, but they were short (The two childrens films I've posted here) ... They are just under an hour, so fit on a 2000' (2300' capacity Taylor Reel). I do have platters for 35nn, but never used them. Could perhaps work on 16mm too, as they lie flat on it.

Space ... The Final Fro ... (just popped in, couldn't help it) - We probably all need more of it

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 12:59 pm

I certainly think more than most would require a home of luxurious propositions to be able to accommodate either a pedestal projector or those platters you speak of Vidar.

It will be really interesting here to see if anyone actually manages to accommodate either / or ,as a permanent and regularly used feature film set up.

Perhaps possible in Australia / NZ or certain areas of the U.S. but you'd need to be a seriously wealthy man anywhere here in Europe these days I'd have thought, given our vastly over populated countries these days.

I wish we had one man living here to every 10 sheep!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed May 04, 2016 1:15 pm | Top

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed May 04, 2016 1:35 pm

I kinds like the small talk between reels. Not sure I want all in one go :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 2:19 pm

How much space, I was thinking on the lines of the Albert Hall, or Wembley. Seriously, I go with David Hardy and his opinion
of these things, they aren't good for film. There is someone out there, I watched it recently, I'm sure its on YouTube, a lad and his Dad who have
turned their front room into a cinema. Not for me I'm afraid, all these rollers everywhere, just imagine a splice failing, what a
calamity that would prove. So for showmen, probably, for someone like myself who cherishes his films, no thanks. It would be
far easier using two machines.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Albert Hall, Wembley Arena..I agree Hugh, not at all a practical proposition for a home cinema, unless you live like a hermit it would appear!

Their living room must surely resemble the opening scenes to Joe 90!

Let's not forget, I wasn't speaking for a 3 hour film here without an interval, just typically an hour or an hour and a half. Then an interval break for refreshments etc. Similar to the presentation methods provided by an old fashioned cinema presentation.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed May 04, 2016 2:47 pm | Top

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Vidar.with super 8 i try to keep features on two large reels.the exceptions are gone with the wind on 4 1200s & sound of music on 3 .like
you we
do enjoy a little small talk between reels and of course some refreshments.
16mm films for us are generally on two or three spools but we are looking to drop this soon and stick only with super 8

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.04.2016 | Top

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 3:03 pm

These same films can be shown with just one interval on Super 8mm. In fact right up to a 4 hour film can be screened with just one break.

The set up doesn't monopolize the house either, which suits me down to the ground.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed May 04, 2016 3:05 pm | Top

#9 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed May 04, 2016 3:49 pm

I use alot of 1200' Super 8 too, but if I have original boxes, I keep them on original reels. But 35mm, I would not even be able to lift it. Platters allow for around four hours, but THAT would be s massive reel. Feel the pain by only thinking about it

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Exactly Vidar, you'd need to turn a tractor upside down to put the bloody spools on.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Now where did I put the telly?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed May 04, 2016 5:36 pm | Top

#12 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 7:51 pm

My two cents (or whatever your monetary domination may be) on the topic. The majority of 16 mm projectors can take up to a 2000' reel (2300' is common too) which gives 50-55 minutes of continuous run time. Since the vast majority of collectors own more than one projector,a two machine set is the simple solution. My set-up is mobile,and can be ready to start in five minutes (or less.) We're talking about showing movies in our homes,and most folks (in the short attention span of today's population) would welcome a short break (if needed) for a bathroom visit or added refreshments. If not,the two projector set-up comes into play and you're set to go.

Douglas Warren

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 9:31 pm

When I was doing shows for my 'oppos, it was the repartee that made the event, everybody enjoyed it, of course one was kept
busy passing out the ale, waiting for reel changes for a refill? They'd have murdered me.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 11:30 pm

I watch my films solo. No audience as yet, simply because no one here, at my end, has ever understood or would ever give any film a chance to show its worth or unique beauty. Not even for one milli second

There's no accounting for taste as they say!

It's a fast, uncluttered, easy picture perfect world we live in now.

Still when you have all the modern technology alongside the old, 99% of today's audiences will always choose 1080p.

It's simply the modern, most accepted and easiest way, as well as most sociable accepted way.

I've found its only people who grew up seeing film shows, that still would show any interest whatsoever in still wanting to see one now, very sadly.

Those that have fond memories of doing so as an adult like Hugh here, I feel are very lucky to have the era they had here with real film.

I did the same as a teenager,but it would be wonderful to have the same as an adult in the 21st Century.

Those left in the hobby, that still capture the interest of the masses with their interest here,in this day and age, are very lucky I feel. Even better when you're partner enjoys these things, like I know Tom here has.

It really is a minority sport and interest now, and at times, quite an isolated hobby for the most part for many of us.
Without the benefit of finding so many like minded people on the forums etc, I think many would feel an even greater sense of isolation in their interest of real film.

More than ever, I'd say its for the older folk among our community, or the very very accepting young...and not much in between for the most part.
Certainly not in my part of the world, anyhow.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu May 05, 2016 10:11 am | Top

#15 by Jose Artiles , Thu May 05, 2016 4:26 am

I do shows on 16mm full feature films for my friends and i use a system made here in spain by Julio Castells in Barcelona,its a long play unit that admits 6500 feet of film.It work wonderfull with my eiki rt-1,its a Little big but can be use it with no problems in a standart house.

Jose Artiles
Date registered 08.16.2015
ThankYou 16

Last edited 05.05.2016 | Top

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu May 05, 2016 9:41 am

well done Jose..you're the first so far for full length in the home on such large reels.

Jose Artiles sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 am | Top

#17 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu May 05, 2016 11:40 am

Here are some pics of my long play set up.i can either use the rear arm on the fumeo 917 vip as take up and just use projector ,or I can attach take up to a separate take up motor which is fixed to the table and driven by a separate power source.
This allows me to use the long play with other projectors which I have adapted to carry the take off arm.
With this I can show a full feature quite easily the only bug bear is making up / break down ,although I am fortunate to have a number of large reels.s

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#18 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu May 05, 2016 11:41 am

Sorry forgot to say this was obviously done in daylight on a glorious day 📽📽📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#19 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu May 05, 2016 11:49 am

Nice set up Gwyn, there's a long play unit being used on Youtube, made by EIKI, but had to smile, they were using
the trusty Bell & Howell to show the film. I'm trying to remember where I saw the Father and son with their set up
in a typical house in Britain, film moving all over the place.

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu May 05, 2016 11:51 am

Hey, superb set up there Gwyn!!

Nice and compact too, so it proves with the right spools and LPU it can be done with little fuss or disturbance even in an average sized room.

I'm in the middle of projecting the Armchair Odeon series, so more fantastic photos to follow here later today from others with wonderful set ups...just like yours here Gwyn!!

Hugh, it's on the Odeon series somewhere, I remember seeing it. I will try to find it here today but there are many hours of footage to trawl through across all of the discs!

I've just been watching a very young Mr Sheard presenting a truly spectacular cine related birthday cake to one of his home cinema guests. Certainly puts mine to shame! Ha ha ha.

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu May 05, 2016 11:56 am | Top

#21 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu May 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Space is certainly an issue since I added a 16mm machine to the collection. The projector is in the bedroom with a blanket draped over it! Space for reels is another issue. What few reels I do have are stacked very haphazard in the closet right now. One thing that causes me to stay with this format alongsideside 8/super 8 are the choices of titles available. Some of these films will NEVER make it to DVD or be shown on television...ever!

Holy cow Gwyn! Those are the biggest 16mm reels I've ever seen! Its a nice setup though.

Timothy Duncan

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu May 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Wait till you see what comes next here Timothy!!

Andrew Woodcock

#23 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu May 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks all for the comments.David ive got a couple of slightly larger spools ,but as you say it is all about space.theses pics were taken in my attic which was converted to an extra room for my daughter,then she moved out and slowly I moved in mustn't let the misses think you are taking over the whole house!!!I am fortunate I also have a spare garage where I store stuff,and use to show films I am lucky to have quite a bit of space but as from previous comments it does overtake me sometimes.Still great fun.
Having the extra take up arm attached to its own power supply I experiment with various machines using the long play arms attached to different machines
but as I said its the make up breakdown that is time consuming as my manual rewind is in the garage.Keeps one fit

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#24 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu May 05, 2016 9:44 pm

So, having viewed the first episode and half of another of the Armchair Odeon series this morning, it reminded me again of the sheer determination and ingenuity of some of the collectors out there at one time, in order to facilitate this massive equipment in relatively modest accomodation in many cases.

Here is an example that may interest our friend Timothy here. This collector somehow managed to fit all of this equipment in a small cupboard under his stairs apparently! It facilitated the viewing of 35mm, 16mm and Super 8mm gauges, all at huge continuous running lengths.

Have a look at this little lot!!

These are 6000 ft 16mm reels shown here!!

The rear spool arm on the GS 1200 was also modified to take even bigger reels and the guy even made his own spools for it because the professional ones cost £30 he tells us!

This was all done by a guy, who by his own admission, has no technical background and had never worked in the cinema.
He simply worked by the principle of "Where there is a will...."

Incredible all round I'd say!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu May 05, 2016 11:05 pm | Top

#25 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri May 06, 2016 1:45 am

That man sure loves his films! How in the heck does he manage the mammoth reels?

Timothy Duncan

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What a cake!!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor