Nice to see new members joining

#1 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon May 02, 2016 12:57 pm

A warm welcome to all the latest members joining in. Hope we all get to know you more in the coming times. Feel free to say something about yourself. Read the forum rules and enjoy

Paul Browning likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

RE: Nice to see new members joining

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon May 02, 2016 1:06 pm

I will second that!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Mon May 02, 2016 1:17 pm

I'll third it, it's a very friendly welcoming forum

Del Phillipson

#4 by David Ralph ( deleted ) , Mon May 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Hello all! My name is David Ralph and have joined today!! I had my first projector when I was 10 as a Christmas Present ( that was in 1965 ... you do the maths). The projector was a Pentax P80 standard 8 machine and was a superb little work horse. I was given two films - Charlies Ladder Larks and The Haunted Ship. These were 50ft films from Dixons ( actually they were made by Walton Films) and surprisingly I still have them! These really whetted by appetite for packaged films and a long appreciation for the comedies of Laurel and Hardy. From these small beginnings I started to collect films, obviously subject to pocket money and as time went on spare cash from once I had paid the mortgage, wife, three children and two golden retrievers. Unfortunately I fell into the video trap and with 8mm drying up mothballed the projectors and sold some of my films, until ............... NOW!
Have bought some more films and a 'new / old' projector an Elmo ST1200 O/M - what a great projector!! Of course like everyone else its a hobby with little to no new material and everything else has an 'aged' appearance and quality, but there are still some good films available. I am not interested in buying films to shrink wrap and leave on a shelf, I believe that they need to be shown and to the widest audience ASAP - this will really pee off my friends and family but where else can you see 'The Jolson Story', 'Blazing Saddles' and 'The Sea Hawk' in an evening?
I am going to need a lot of help and advice from you guys so I beg for your patience and hope that you will welcome me into your forum with open arms . Thanks David.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Paul Browning, Eivind Mork and Tom Photiou
David Ralph

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon May 02, 2016 3:35 pm

David, that is a fabulous story there and I for one, am really pleased you have both taken up the hobby again first, but secondly, that you've choose to join this forum here with exactly the same like minded people such as yourself.
you will gain all the help you could ever require here for your film collection and your vital machines.
We even have the legendary Elmo expert on board here, Mr Bill Parsons, who's knowledge is second to none for your machine.
We also have Tom Photiou here and plenty of other Elmo users and admirers who all have great in depth knowledge of this hobby and your machine.

One or two of us here went down the DVD/Blu Ray Video Projection route for a time,and still continue to use the format alongside our film collections, myself included, and while I love to watch projected quality images in any format, there is most definitely a unique sensation developed by viewing real film using a real and tactile movie projector. Nothing quite like it!

As you say, though new releases now are scarce, there are 50 years worth of Super 8mm films to go at and many still have brilliant untarnished colour if you enjoy collecting many of the prints created from the mid 80's onwards, when film stock vastly improved. (many older titles were still made in this era)

It is worth also pointing out, many far older manufactured titles are still holding out very well indeed for their colour, especially if printed on Fuji stock and the likes as many of the older Walton titles and the likes of were.

You will be most welcomed here and we hope you share many of your experiences in the hobby, with us all here.
A warm welcome from us all David, and thanks again for the very interesting intro!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Paul Browning
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon May 02, 2016 4:13 pm | Top

#6 by Paul Browning , Mon May 02, 2016 5:06 pm

Blimey, a new member who can contribute something, instead of just sitting on the fence. You are indeed most welcome to what is now proving to be the one to join for good talk and lively chat all things film. Please tell us more about your film collection David you amongst like minded people who share your passion of film, long may it live.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon May 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Check out the picture gallery too and perhaps upload some pictures of your equipment (film related; ahem) projection room. If you feel like it of course.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon May 02, 2016 5:37 pm

I very much look forward to seeing Dave's "Shed" cinema photographs here also in the Gallery section soon,that he said he will post.
Does anyone happen to know which Armchair Odeon DVD Dave's "Shed" cinema featured in?

I will just have to trawl through them all if not.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon May 02, 2016 5:39 pm | Top

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 9:38 pm

It is nice to see new members, even better when they're like Dave Ralph here, raring to go, posts straight away, that's how its done folks.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#10 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 9:44 pm

Welcome to the forum Dave from one of the few "Yanks" on here (though where I grew up,being called a Yank would start a fight.) Nice model you're holding there (Thunderbird 1 if I'm correct!)

Douglas Warren

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 9:57 pm

Could be worse Doug, although there are no doubt some folks would say, "Oh yes, Douglas, nice chap, from the Colonies you know."

Hugh Thompson Scott

#12 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 11:07 pm

I grew up in the Southern part of the USA. Some people there refuse to admit that the South lost the Civil War. They get a bit fiery about "them damn Yankees". Personally I'm comfortable wherever my feet might land. Now a resident of the Midwestern part of the States but most here think I'm from the east coast. Go figure!

Douglas Warren

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 11:13 pm

I know I was speaking to Rob Foxon's good lady from Tua Films, she was convinced I was a Geordie, dear God not that, I was speechless,
which was strange for me.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#14 by David Ralph ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 11:48 pm

Douglas. Thanks for the welcome. Having worked for a very large American Company for a few years I am used to you guys from over the pond. Yes it is Thunderbird 1 and in fact is THE Thunderbird 1. I was privileged to help back the making of 3 new episodes to commemorate 50 years of Thunderbirds. One of the opportunities was to visit the studios in Slough where AP films made the original series. Believe me I had a tear in my eyes as I was transformed back to 1965 and lived my boyhood dream.

David Ralph

#15 by Deleted User , Thu May 05, 2016 12:59 am

Andrew,
Armchair Odeon Reel one Disc 1
The Shed,Felixstowe.

Regards
Tony Laing

Tony Laing

#16 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu May 05, 2016 1:46 am

Good to see you here again, Tony. Missed you here

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu May 05, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks Tony, I shall give it a viewing today then on the VP thanks.

It's still out in the living room from last night's disappointing, yet inevitable escapade.
Hope Vidar's crew fly the flag a little better this evening for our nation!

I will put a few still shots of the various ,one time ,remarkable cinemas from these halcyon days of film collecting, featured within the discs, on here later thanks.

Many thanks once again Tony!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu May 05, 2016 10:15 am | Top

#18 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon May 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Andrew... You can also find it on the Armchair Odeons Reel One VHS Tape if you are still that way inclined. Hahahaha !!!

David Hardy
Last edited Mon May 09, 2016 8:44 pm | Top

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 10, 2016 10:23 am

Mine are the shiny disc variety David but thanks mate all the same.

Andrew Woodcock

#20 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue May 10, 2016 4:30 pm

Andrew ... I am a nut job. I have them on both shiny discs and tape.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
I am back again

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor