Magnetic Tape Film Stripe.

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14 am

Have any of you had problems with the Magnetic Stripe starting to bleed and show up on the
right hand side of the picture area on Super 8mm prints ?

David Hardy

RE: Magnetic Tape Film Stripe.

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:58 am

Yes David , on the balance side of prints, the stripe, especially when pasted, can frequently encroach into the frame slightly and show on screen as a wavy edge .

The solution....the Bauer Studio range! 😊

The Bauer Studio range has a very slightly narrower gate than most other machines.
As a result, it masks a multitude of sins to the extreme LHS and RHS of a films frame.

Seldom do you ever see this issue on these projectors, where the same film on an Elmo or Beaulieu or quite likely a Fumeo would expose the error continually.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:07 pm | Top

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Yes Andrew I have noticed this on different machines.
I was thinking the stripe may be going faulty and starting to ooze due to the use
of certain film lubes.

David Hardy

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:53 pm

On the Elmo, you can alter the framing by adjusting the guides on the gate. I've not encountered stripe in picture so far, but I know
Derann used to sell not perfect prints with this problem.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:10 pm | Top

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:27 pm

There are many of the later pasted one's like this Hugh.
It is almost impossible to keep the pasted stripe exactly to the 0.4mm tiny width when applying paste stripe apparently.

So on these, it's a very common phenomenon to see at least a small section of the balance stripe entering the frame.

Don't worry David, it isn't chemically dissolving from your cleaner!

Andrew Woodcock

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:41 pm

There are many of the later pasted one's like this Hugh.
It is almost impossible to keep the pasted stripe exactly to the 0.4mm tiny width when applying paste stripe apparently.

So on these, it's a very common phenomenon to see at least a small section of the balance stripe entering the frame.

Don't worry David, it isn't chemically dissolving from your cleaner!
Well not unless it's DFS film cleaner!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:46 pm | Top

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:25 pm

Well it sounds like a problem the German labs have, obviously plaguing recent releases, which thankfully I avoid, but
not so good for folks that buy them. If this is the case, then it is up to the Distributors that import them to make the
purchasers feelings known. When they are charging extortionate prices for poor product, there is only one avenue
left, either they improve, or don't buy them.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:59 pm

by later Hugh, I was referring to any polyester prints after the pre striped era.
The ones I have that display this minor niggle are all Derann prints with perhaps the exception of one or two German printed shorts.

The German myler stuff now is only available on main stripe now anyhow. If you want a balance stripe nowadays, even from Germany, it has to be on Acetate stock.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:59 pm | Top

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:40 pm

If that's the brittle yellow stuff, I'd let them keep it, still if you're stuck with mono, you can sync it with DVD, as they do
at BFCC Andrew. I know that when Kodak finished pre striped film, there used to be a few prints with stripe entering
the picture area on Derann's list, it can't have bothered a lot of folk, because they always sold.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:52 pm

It's more just a tad annoying rather than something you'd consider a fault. I have plenty of optical sound features that have that wavy pink edge that is often seen with these prints. So all types of prints are affected by their soundtracks one way or another.

Like I say, for magnetic prints with this balance stripe issue, I just use the Bauer. The problem then doesn't even exist. That just goes to show you what fine margins of tolerance these films were designed to be made to.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is one of the reasons of consideration as to why the German labs refuse to paste stripe on the balance side now, as quality control would more or less have to go completely out of the window here.

The Acetate stock does of course use the different process of bonding the pre manufactured stripe onto the film so greater accuracy can be guaranteed, no doubt.

Andrew Woodcock

#11 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Andrew I have used the DFS film lube. Should I be concerned ?

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Magnetic Stripe Heads.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor