Barry Littlechild

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:58 pm

I've just heard that Barry Littlechild has died, wasn't expecting that. He had a show on Radio and I used to enjoy his articles in
FFTC, he was colourful, made enemies, I think he gave up film, I know from one of the pictures in the mag, he had bought out a film library in 16mm, his garden, drive and path were just a mass of film cans, stacked high! Anyway, I'm very sorry to hear of his passing
R.I.P. Barry and my Condolences to his Family at this sad time.

Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: Barry Littlechild

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:35 pm

Wow!!!! Deeply saddening news coming through there Hugh. I am now starting to realise how quickly our time arrives!

Barry is someone I've spent many an hour reading through his past scripts in FFTC and sometimes, at times, strongly opposing his views regarding the film v Digital debates he conducted in the infamous Derann magazine.

However this is another major character in the world of film collecting who has now sadly passed, and one that is etched on many people's mind that have been around this hobby even for the relatively brief amount of time I have.

I know Tom here knew of Barry and his overwhelming presence. It will be interesting to read on how a fellow FFTC regular contributor feels on this at this very sad time.

Along with the awful news regarding Victoria Wood from my part of the world earlier today, all round today has definitely been one of great poignancy, but sadly, for all the wrong reasons!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:50 pm

Sad news. I only met him once. It was in the 90s at Tadleigh. He was quite a character.

Jonathan Trevithick

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:12 am

He was indeed!! Very very sad Jonathan.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:35 am | Top

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:20 am

Sad news indeed but it is not a shock to me. Barry had been suffering from cancer for some time now.
Only this week I had been discussing his condition. Barry was on borrowed time but was very upbeat
and positive about it and still kept his sense of humour through it all.
He is going to be sadly missed by a lot of people. I for one will miss his banter and his sparring with
me at times via the pages of PROJECTIONS magazine he started and kept going with the demise
of the Silver Screen Society Magazine. A magazine that is still going today thanks to Pete Travers.
He was a very kind and generous man to me in the past and I liked the way he never held back on
his opinions and the debates we had all in good fun. I am going to miss the phone calls too.
R.I.P. Barry the film collecting world has lost a legend. I for one am going to really miss you old chum.
THANKS for everything.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:22 am | Top

#6 by Bill Parsons , Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:09 pm

I will miss Barry, I last spoke to him about a month ago, we met every December for a meal, last December was the first time we missed for a long time due to Barry's health, he kept very positive up until the end, and continued with his regular film shows.

Bill Parsons  
Bill Parsons
Date registered 10.07.2015
home: Brookland, Kent, Uk
ThankYou 23

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:32 am

I've just come in from work,as some of you know I still work in a projection box,and this evening I read my Projection magazine from cover to cover which arrived this morning.
How very sad to get home to read this about Barry Littlechild who's column I always enjoyed reading,especially after reading his comments about his illness.
I feel he will be sadly missed by all and a great loss to this hobby.RIP.

Dave Alligan likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 270

#8 by Dave Alligan , Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:55 am

I knew Barry for many years and always met up at the BFCC and at Blackpool every year, and went to his house and cinema on many occasions, he taught me how to rerecord super 8 films in sync using a video tape, he was certainly a character their no two ways about that, but a very lovely man and I will miss him sorely.

My heart felt condolences go out to Olga, Wayne and Grant

RIP Barry

Bill Parsons likes this
Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#9 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:03 pm

It's yet another sad loss

Del Phillipson

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Taken from my latest received edition of F.F.T.C. (Number 54 Winter 2003), here are a few photographs here featuring the legendary Barry Littlechild and also the once child stars from the British feature length film "The Secret Cave", David Cooke & Nicky Edmett .

Below, is another of photo taken by Barry from the same edition, this time Barry's photo is taken standing outside "The Shed Cinema" owned by our very own Dave Alligan here!

Barry was there for a viewing of the "Italian Job" after Dave's outside cinema had received much publicity at the time from local press and through a recently published book at the time, all about peoples garden sheds!
from left to right:- Bob Nicholls, Sylvia Andrews,Dave Alligan and Maurice Andrews.

Happier times indeed.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:42 pm | Top

#11 by Dave Alligan , Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Well I have never seen that photo remember the occasion very well, was great having everybody round.

I will put some more pics of my home cinema on the gallery page

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:37 pm

I remember Dave being the centre of attention when Megs Jenkins was a guest of his in the "Shed Cinema", that was covered in
the FFTC, I'd put it up, but haven't a clue how to do it. Anyway, Dave was regularly shown in the mag, along with many other
attendees, happy days.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:54 am

I still have that issue bound safely in my almost complete run of F.F.T.C. magazine.
It all seems so long ago already.
Dave do you still have shows in " THE SHED" ?

David Hardy

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:22 am

Dave's shed cinema is featured in the BFCC Arrmchair Odeon series isn't it David??

Can't rightly remember now as its been a while since I looked through them to be honest.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:23 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Guy Hamilton (1922–2016)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor