RE: INDEPENDENCE DAY

#26 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:57 pm

Funny enough, I had it too Paul, it featured in some early stop motion, I recently got it again in kit, its waiting to be assembled with
transfers for control panels. I think "The Invaders" ranks with "Outer Limits" as two of the best science fiction series from America. You can get kits for anything these days, I'll eventually get the Joe Laudati "Gwangi", expensive, but worth it.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#27 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Speaking of model kits,that is my main hobby next to movies & music. I've been involved in it since age five now,close to fifty years. Twenty plus years ago I built a large group of science fiction kits for a client,most of which were Star Wars and bits from many other series and movies.My brothers and I had the Invaders saucer kit back in 1969,and it was a favorite of ours.That kit has been recently reissued. There's also a small scale kit of the "Earth vs The Flying Saucers" ship I plan on buying.Sorry if I'm getting off topic but if anyone wishes to chat about model building,hit me up offline.

Douglas Warren

#28 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:20 pm

Certainly will Doug, I obtained mine in the same year, 'Sept.69, my first day at Tech, college, I missed my dinner to search out this model
shop in Workington that my Dad had seen this kit in, what a nightmare finding it. There are some lovely kits that their owners have modernised with lights etc, the Nautilus from Disney's film is beautiful, as are the war machines and Invaders ship, works of love indeed.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#29 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:25 pm

Here's a couple of photos of a small scale War of the Worlds diorama I built back in 2010.I no longer own it since it was sold to a collector a few years ago.

Paul Browning likes this
Douglas Warren

#30 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Beautifully realised Doug. Those machines really are the business.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#31 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:16 pm

Thank you Hugh! Considering that the wingspans on those small spaceships was only around four inches,the paint really needed to be spot on. The hardest (and most tedious) part was painting the nameplate lettering!

Douglas Warren

#32 by Paul Browning , Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:17 pm

The invaders were repeated recently on yesterday on Friday afternoon around 2 pm, great series along with the outer limits, and not so much sci fi but every bit as good the twilight zone with rod serling, one or two episodes on aliens or little men from outer space, really great tv, unlike the crap we have now.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#33 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Paul,
My brother and I are still big fans of "The Invaders: and "The Outer Limits" to this very day.Speaking of Rod Serling,though the show gets little love I'm still a huge fan of "Night Gallery". I would love to find some episodes of it (reasonably priced) in 16mm someday.

Douglas Warren

#34 by Paul Browning , Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:07 pm

Douglas, I remember them well, I have them on disc. You do see twilight zone on 16mm but I have never seen an episode of night gallery on 16mm. These would have been great
on 8mm because of there relatively short time, a 600 ft episode how great that would have been. Serling was quite a character, one of the most decorated soldiers, double purple heart veteran of the nam war, and correspondent too. Some really great spooky stories and thought provoking too, very well written by him.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#35 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:09 pm

I know we're off topic, but what the hell, the crack's good. Invaders has just finished its run on TV, so much did I
enjoy it, both series were promptly ordered from Amazon, to keep company with the other classic TV like outer limits, thriller, twilight
zone etc. I find this stuff very repeatable, especially at bedtime. As for 16mm prints, I am sure I've seen Night Gallery on US ebay, the Outer Limits frequently pop up, odd episodes of Invaders, Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, many are red, but sometimes odd prints are okay colour. Even episodes of Hammer House of Horror have turned up on 16mm recently. I think with me, it revives the schoolboy memories of relating the fantastic scenes and stories the following day with friends, but again, these were TV shows with some
great writing. One series, non science fiction that I liked was "The Long Hot Summer" again with Roy Thinnes, based on the Paul Newman
film of the same name, but I think it was copied onto B/W stock to prevent repeats. Very strange. Summing up, any episode of the above
shows beats ID to death. just looking at Doug's superb model, imagine it with "the electronic ticking" from the film played in the background, quite a chilling set up.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:25 pm | Top

#36 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:21 am

David / Hugh we may have a fishy Scottish Parliament but it does not stink as much as
those rotten Westminster based Unionist Parties and their Eton boys.
I dearly wish the English, Welsh , and Irish people could have voted us out of the UK.
Scotland at the moment is a very divided Country and will be for may years to come.
I among many others have NEVER voted for Labour, Tories, Libs and all the others.
I hope I live long enough to see SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE DAY sooner rather than later.

David Hardy

#37 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:39 am

Tom speaks earlier of this film lasting some 2.5hrs or more. He suggests that for these longer running 6x 600ft titles and longer still, this jeopardizes repeatability

Does everyone feel the same as Tom on this one, and is the time it takes to view an entire film ever a factor in your decision making when it comes to choosing feature films?

Titanic btw (new one) is on 10x 600ft reels!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:41 am | Top

#38 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:47 am

That is a good point Andrew, but like Ben Hur or any of the epics, it can be favourite spools that are shown, which defeats the point to me, surely these films deserve better treatment. I'm sure that there are copies out there of "Titanic" that never see a projector lamp.
I have a print of GWTW, that I have only watched twice in about 15 years.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#39 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:58 am

David, I totally agree, Parliament is nothing but a bunch of well fed over paid men who have a good living, and a better pension scheme
than the common man. Not to get too political, but Scotland has been a part of our United Kingdom, love it or hate it for centuries.
A vote was given, , they chose to remain, now if that doesn't suit Sturgeon or Salmon, then we in England should be given the vote too, seeing as Scotland is financed by the British taxpayer, you have no University fees, pay less tax and don't pay as much for your prescriptions. Strange, the Irish contingent hate England too, but flock here to our building sites. Biting the hand springs to mind.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#40 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:09 pm

I must admit Hugh, when I've read some people saying they prefer to keep their films in 600ft reels for screening so they can watch any particular section of a film without watching it all,
I've never completely got it?

To me a film is sequential for 99% of them, and I personally, would much rather watch it from beginning to end rather than picking out random sections at a time.

It would have suited me down to the ground, if each feature was in one run with no splices or seperate parts at all.

I know a long film, to some, puts them off viewing it...but if it's an epic like GWTW etc etc,
It wouldn't put me off buying it so long as the price doesn't escalate out of control because of its length.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:14 pm | Top

#41 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Totally agree Andrew, would be difficult for me now, GWTW is still on 600's, but Ben Hur, El Cid & all the other epics are mounted
on 1600' & 2400' spools.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#42 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Hugh ... Hahahaha ! We Scots pay our own taxes to the UK in order to get very little
in return. We have FREE PRESCRIPTIONS by the way. Thanks to the SNP.
As for the referendum if it were not for WE TRUE SCOTS We would not have brought WESTMINSTER
to its knees shitting itself if we leave.
So up they came. THE THREE STOOGES with the promise of more powers which have now been
delivered to Scotland.
So it has in a way been a small victory for us. As its something they were unwilling to give
in the first place.
INDEPENDENCE DAY is not to far off now if the Scottish elections go to plan.

David Hardy
Last edited Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:14 pm | Top

#43 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:10 pm

David, you pay less tax than us in the UK, only because Anthony Blair gave you your own Parliament, you are still ruled in
effect from Westminster, as we all are. Indeed, we this side of the wall tire of this we want to be free, by all means, but
all ties should be cut, all subsidies stopped and work given to our own shipyards etc, The only thing then would be tourism
as your main income, North Sea Oil would not cover your expenditure, but like the child that wants to leave home and be independent,
there are minuses as well as pluses, it would benefit England too. Gordon Brown delivered a good speech on Scotland remaining, he even
sited the small thing like blood from England that helps the NHS up there.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:18 pm | Top

#44 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Hugh we are all aware of the risks involved in leaving the UK.
However if you don't take risks with any venture in life you remain chained to the status quo.
The Unicorn will break its chains. Even from the EU in time most of us hope regardless of
the SNP or Nicola.
Anyway I will say no more on this matter on this forum.

David Hardy
Last edited Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:23 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Message to Alan Rik

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor