Maintenance of film an Projectors.

#1 by Alexander Alfonsson ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Godday everybody as a new film collector I would much appreciate if the rest of you more experienced people on here coul help me out a bit. I would really like to know how to maintain my projectors and films in as good quality as possible. So any tips on cleaning, storing, servicing and other things that needs to be done regularly to keep everything in shape would be much appreciated, Perhaps there is a guide somewhere that someone could point me to.
As of now i have 4 projectors a Kodak Brownie 8, Eumig Mark 600D, Sankyo 700 sound and an Eiki 16mm slotloader. And only a couple of short subjects. I will eventually start to buy full length features as well, the Derann Disney prints makes my fingers itch especially much. I will also be picking upp A Kinoton fp30e From Vidar in the near future.

Sorry for the very wide and unspecified question.

Thanks in advance

Alexander Alfonsson
Last edited Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:38 pm | Top

RE: Maintenance of film an Projectors.

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Storing should be cool and dark and films should lie down, not stand. I do have many of my Super 8 standing, but the rest are lying down. Clean film paths (a lot)

Myself, I am not too good with oiling and such, but I usually send my projectors that is doing weird stuff to Mr. Parsons, so he does this for me.

Check belts for gooeyness, if they become sticky, get them off asap and get new ones on. That goo really is a bitch to get off

likes this
sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:51 pm

Hello Alexander and welcome to the hobby! I am from the U.S. and I just acquired a Kodak Brownie 8 about a month ago. Does yours use a DFN/DFC lamp? If so, get spares while you can as they are getting hard to find, as well as costly. Those machines were on the market from 1960-1970 (quite a long time). They were built to be maintenance free (including lubrication of any parts). As long as the belt is still good in it, it should serve you well. Unless you are mechanically talented (unlike myself), I would never attempt to take one apart. I did that with an M50 model and couldn't get it back together, as everything inside the little machine is VERY tightly spaced. Do clean the gate/film path with a cotton swab and alcohol, as mine was very dirty when I first brought it home. Did yours come with a carrying case as well?

Timothy Duncan

#4 by Alexander Alfonsson ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi Timothy I am not sure if it uses the same lamp. The European version looks completely different from the US one but it is probably the same inside. As for being maintenance free that was certainly not the case with mine since it did´nt work when I received it. XD But after opening it up and doing some cleaning and repairs it works really good. And as for the carrying case, no since the european version of the brownie is a case in itself. Making it much more of a hassle to take apart but it is a very neat looking projector with the side door on, looks like a litte squarish briefcase. :)

Alexander Alfonsson

#5 by Alexander Alfonsson ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Here is some pics of the Brownie 8. To get to the mechanics you have to remove the whole thing from the box and when it's out there is'nt really anyway for it to stand up so I had to have it in my lap when i repaired it.

Alexander Alfonsson

#6 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:03 pm

It does have differences for sure Alexander. Mine is mostly heavy plastic construction, hinged at the bottom and pops open from the top. It makes for easy bulb changing. The electrical cord on my unit comes from the rear of the unit, opposite from where your cord extends from. It sounds like you are quite handy mechanically though!

I do see on the sticker at the bottom where it states that it uses the DFC lamp. And I never knew that they made Kodak products in England too, but it says so on that same sticker. Thanks for the pictures!

likes this
Timothy Duncan
Last edited Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:08 pm | Top

#7 by Mats Abelli , Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:42 am

Hi alexander and Happy Birthday. There are service manuals for many projectors, to find on the web. Some are free downloads. Good Luck!

sais Thank You!

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
My lobby card wall

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor