Film Posters

#1 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:24 pm

For my man cave I thought about some film posters and lobby cards. I bought a frame for the posters, but its not quite big enough. Anyone know of a cheapish frame suppliers? Got this one from 'The Range' side to side is OK, but top to bottom is too short.

Must admit I hadfor got the size of posters. They will look cool though.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

RE: Film Posters

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:13 pm

David,from my experience it's very difficult to find a GOOD frame for posters,I had my Star Wars ones professionally framed and I have an extra one made so I can swop posters as I want.
My son got one of those clip style ones with a plastic cover of EBay the right size but in my opinion they don't do the poster justice,they also bend easy.
Again with stills it's a professional frame or you make your own display depending on the size..
Oh yes I collect poster and stills as well,must remember that.📽📽📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:11 am

Could you two guys post some photos of your posters? We'd LOVE to see them!

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Timothy Duncan

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:06 pm

[[File:image.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_2.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_3.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_4.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_5.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_6.jpeg|none|auto]]
The first two are in frames as is another Star Wars not shown the next four have been backed with artist card as they are on a sloping ceiling .
I keep my posters in an ex army map box which has five draws slightly bigger than a standard poster so they are kept open and flat all the time.Bit of a bugger if you need one from the bottom of the pile.
The frame with die another day in is the one I use to change posters in.
Ps I think I've now worked out how to upload pics ...fun.📽📽📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:06 pm

[[File:image.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_2.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_3.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_4.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_5.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:image_6.jpeg|none|auto]]
The first two are in frames as is another Star Wars not shown the next four have been backed with artist card as they are on a sloping ceiling .
I keep my posters in an ex army map box which has five draws slightly bigger than a standard poster so they are kept open and flat all the time.Bit of a bugger if you need one from the bottom of the pile.
The frame with die another day in is the one I use to change posters in.
Ps I think I've now worked out how to upload pics ...fun.📽📽📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:14 pm

[[File:image_6.jpeg|none|auto]
Second attempt at pics

Attached pictures:
image_6.jpeg  

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#7 by Eivind Mork , Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:30 pm

North by Northwest is one of my favorite films. Nice!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Eivind,one of mine too this poster is the reprint wish I had the original one.📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#9 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:32 pm

The Godzilla and north by northwest were re issues from the bfi I was however fortunate to have shown both these in 35mm,the Star Wars one is original and I have the lobby cards as well📽📽

David Ollerearnshaw likes this

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#10 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Its more complicated than you think posters. The portrait one is the US 1 sheet I think. The landscape is the UK quad not got this one yet, but I want it. The 1 sheet is the one I have, but this image has better colour than mine, but it still looks great.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Gwyn Morgan likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#11 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:22 pm

Yes I agree nearly all of mine are british quads been collecting for years,had nearly 2000 at one time but it was out of hand and I had no idea what posters were in what tubes/boxes.So I spent about six months sorting out what I had and at present my collection must be about 800 and counting again.
I had to do the same with lobby cards which took weeks and are now filed in large arch files.
Sheer Madness

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:18 pm

Gwyn, my dear chap, this is the place for madness, sheer or otherwise, welcome fellow madman, those posters are superb
by the way, see, lunacy pays off. I have a few myself, nothing to compare with yours no doubt, but I did get some nice letters
from Hammer Films, I still have one, on their embossed letter heading, if I can figure out how to put up scans, I'll put
it up.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Thank you Gwyn and David! I'd hate to think what originals cost! As a teen, I had a reprint of "Psycho" (1960) in my bedroom. Don't know what became of it though. I loved that film and "The Birds" (1963)!

Timothy Duncan

#14 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Y'know, no doubt my little "oppo "will take unbrage ( Andrew ) who dislikes DIY, but I looked at some of these prices for "pro frames"
Jesus, ridiculous doesn't cover it, Gwyn is right, seriously lads, you can buy a jig for making frames for next to bugger all, a bit of hardboard and a simple bit of framing, you can get your glass or plexi covering , at a fraction of cost, have a go, God loves folk who try, Make ONE, the rest are easy. It might be just me, but when I look through my old issues of "Movie Maker" mag, I see the old school that
utilised their skills in making things that were not readily available, and this was at the zenith of Film Making, are we getting lazy?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:43 pm | Top

#15 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:46 pm

I LOVE the really old posters, where genuine artistic talent was involved. Even the lettering on some of the oldest ones were hand drawn, but very attractive!

Timothy Duncan

#16 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:17 pm

yes I agree Hugh have a go at building your own poster frame or i believe if you have the time and patience the artist card with a sticky back can be got on the internet and have a go at sticking posters on same ...not valuble ones.
Another thing i have a few of is film music scores they sometimes have a nice"poster" front.
im at work but now ive worked out how to get pics on here i will get some poster work on here in due course.
Another thing i have quite a few of are the repro postcard posters fun size.Good grief what else have i got when i start to think,

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#17 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:32 pm

A leading light from a lost art, including our Dave in Scotland, projectionists of old,just realised, my sincere apologies Gwyn for my oversight
in a member asking advice on 35mm, my humblest apologies. I shall sort out now.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#18 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:44 pm

Sorry Hugh you have lost me a bit I see nothing you have to apologise about I as I say im a bit lost did I get the wrong end of the stick sort of.

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#19 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:50 pm

Gwyn apologies from me, a poor Ian Partridge, as asking a question on 35mm, I innocently omitted your goodself, I
apologise for that stupid oversight, my faux pas, forgive me. If anyone can give guidance yourself and David Hardy on
problems on this format.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:52 pm | Top

#20 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:14 am

No apologies needed Hugh I'm feel privileged to think you even think of me I must admit I hadn't even read the question from Ian.
Many thanks📽📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Fun with words, songs and bits can be slightly changed

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor