35mm FILMS MAY HAVE TO GO ...

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:19 pm

I a have a slight but worrying problem at the moment.
I may be moving from my current 2 Bedrooom Aberdeen address to a smaller house in a rural fishing village.
I therefore may not have the space for my remaining 35mm films and Westar Mech .
I don't think I have the time to sell it on Ebay .
Are any members living near ABERDEEN Scotland interested ? Or anyone with a van willing to travel
and take this stuff off my hands ? I don't drive so I don't have a car.
It pains me to abandon my 35mm but it may be necessary.
WATCH THIS SPACE !!!! .... I may have to bin or scrap the lot.

David Hardy
Last edited Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:21 pm | Top

RE: 35mm FILMS MAY HAVE TO GO ...

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:39 pm

It is really sad. I have the same problem with space here and felt a sting in my heart when some of the films sold yesterday

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Mats Abelli , Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Sad news David. Why don´t you try to sell on facebook. A fellow collector in Norway sold tons of features in about an hour. One dane bougt several films and came to Oslo to collect. I feel sorry for Vidar to. I´m lucky to have a big house, with a new built home cinema, so I on sell, what I want to let go.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:10 pm

My sympathies to you both just getting rid of some 35mm trailers was not good so I don't envy either of you getting rid of anything.
I hope you both find suitable homes for the films/ projectors such a shame if anything has to be ditched.📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:22 pm

I will not ditch, the stuff must find a home. I have a Swedish friend who will take two Kinoton FP30E machines. Do you want contact with the Dane, David. He pays well

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

Last edited 03.07.2016 | Top

#6 by Mats Abelli , Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Vidar! Please let me know if you´re gonna sell or trade " The town that dreaded sundown"

Mats Abelli
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:48 pm

The Dane took it yesterday, sorry

Mats Abelli does not like this!

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:42 pm

The thing is I am on a limited time to get things packed for the house move.
I cant find any suitable packing for the prints I need to dispose of. The person taking them from me would have to collect
or arrange for a courier to pick them up. I cant do it.

David Hardy

#9 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Understand. We often get them in boxes for bananas, in case you would try to hear what he offers

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:32 pm

All very sad David. I'd be up to Aberdeen in a heartbeat if this was happening to your Super 8mm
Collection.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:33 pm | Top

#11 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks Andrew. I have no problem with the 8mm prints. However my back is hurting lugging my
16mm prints about this afternoon ready for packing.

David Hardy
Last edited Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:52 pm | Top

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:58 pm

Oh David, my heart goes out to you, that must be tragic, films you've gathered in over the years. Could you not put them in store
temporarily while an outside shed be erected to put them in, granted not ideal, but surely better than parting company with.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:02 pm

I agree with Hugh, surely anything is worth considering rather than tipping them!😠

Friends, relatives, storage centre...anything but tipping them David!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:03 pm | Top

#14 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Exactly Andrew, even the purchase of a steel container to house them would be preferable to losing them forever, there are usually
sales of portakabin type things from building sites that would do the job without junking his valuable films and projectors.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#15 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Cheers Hugh. I have thought about that as regards temporary storage.
However I am a bit concerned about keeping them indoors due to the weight.
It seems that my new house has those bloody woodchip panel boards for flooring.
Add to that the sheer weight of the 35mm Westar , with Lamp arc and the Projector
base. I am between a rock and a hard place with this one I am afraid.
I may keep a couple of features , shorts and trailers and my Carl Zeiss TK 35mm Portable
just to keep things going because I do love my 35mm prints.

David Hardy

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:14 pm

I'd consider then a container David, they are made for stress & strain, and won't collapse. Take a gander on ebay, you could fill it up
and have it placed in situ at your new home.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Last time I was in Aberdeen, I had just been evacuated off The North West Hutton (now decommissioned).

I stayed in the Skean dhu hotel there that night and all the "regular" off shore riggers plus one very young out of towner got larruped that night at BP's expense!!
What a night that was! The clothes we had on our backs plus an emergency kit containing nothing more than a tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush.
The most valuable asset we were all given, was £20 in cash to blow behind the bar there ha ha.
It was just about sufficient in the mid 80's!

Happy days! Would love to see Aberdeen again one day, the Granite City!
Though not the offshore training centre...never again!! Ha ha ha

Throw some of that famous granite you have in abundance there David, onto your new floor, that'll sort it...forever!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:25 pm | Top

#18 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:31 pm

Way to go Andrew, when the cats away, the mice can have a beano!! I used to love being sent on Union courses etc, a license to kill.
As for Dave's predicament, how about laying a concrete bay to take a shed, that'll handle weight okay, you can get some nice sheds
these days that would do the job, or even a steel garage erected on bay area. Indeed, I'd put them in a tent, we had to do that with
our furniture when we moved into this place, half the roof had been stolen and vandalised, water flew through this building, until
I got it sorted. Any port in a storm David, give some thought before you make any hasty decisions.

Mats Abelli likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#19 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:49 pm

I've just checked prices on ebay of wooden sheds 12'x6 etc, very cheap, less than £300.00 & free postage, a few railway sleepers or
concrete pre cast slabs would suffice as a base in a rush, surely better than losing a very important collection, a few days work,
or a little job for the local handyman, problem solved, no permissions needed. I would avoid the metal sheds, very weak and they
blow down in a brisk wind. You could buy two, surely enough room to accommodate your stuff, a few coats of Yacht varnish, I'd
reckon for outlay of £1000.00, the problem is sorted. Certainly worth checking out David.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:59 pm | Top

#20 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Hugh/ Andrew thanks for those suggestions. The problem is I am a bit strapped for cash at the moment.
I have just had a few quote for house removal van and men to lug my belongings around for me. GASP !!!
BLOODY HELL !!! The prices have fair rocketed since I moved into my current house .
I have had a quick look at some of the 35mm prints I had stored under the stairs well wrapped up
without cans. Unfortunately some of the reels of film have buckled and twisted and are now sagging even
though they were each supported one on top of the other with really thick cardboard between each one.
Some film fade is also evident. It looks like its the local tip for those or a lovely farewell cremation.
Obviously those in the cans are okay as they have been properly stored.
So it looks like a lot of prints have to go anyway.

David Hardy

#21 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:31 pm

To make things worse even the local Scrap Merchants are not interested in taking my Westar off my hands.

David Hardy

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:15 pm

This is terrible news all round David!

I cannot believe there is nobody within driving distance of yourself interested in any of this stuff.

Andrew Woodcock

#23 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:50 pm

David, as a last resort, you could hire a van, and do your own move with a box wagon, surely friends or relatives would help, as a
last resort, you could put your 35mm stuff in a tent until something better could be sorted out. The last house moves, two of them,
were done just like this, twice before moving my two mates, all done with a Smiths Hire wagon.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#24 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00 am

Had a bit of good news. The guy I am exchanging homes with has assembled a shed for me.
Only thing is it still needs roofing felt on it. So I may be able to save some of my 35mm but
not all.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Hardy

#25 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:19 am

Well there you go David, that is good news indeed, if I were you, put a coat of pitch over your felt, just to ensure no leaks.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Talking of poster

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor