Does anyone else cringe when...

#1 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:48 am

When films for sale on eBay (or elsewhere)are referred to as tape?I assume that comes from the VHS generation but it still bugs me.

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Douglas Warren

RE: Does anyone else cringe when...

#2 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:32 am

Sorry Douglas but I have to hold my hands up here. How many of us when looking at a programme on TV have said I must tape that, I know I do it all the time, my good lady always corrects me

Del Phillipson

#3 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:02 pm

Good point Del as I have been guilty of the same. Like with music and still referring to picking up the latest "record" though that format isn't mainstream anymore!

Douglas Warren

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:09 pm

In our remaining HMV stores here in the UK, there is now little difference between the allocated space given to records or cd's again now!

It's like 1991 all over again!

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:24 pm

Andy, I cringe much more when people list a film then get a perfect sharp image or tow from the movie from the internet so it looks like thats the print they are selling. That is so annoying. If i purchased one,(which i wouldn't), i would demand a full refund with the "not as advertised" excuse.
If you are selling on ebay the screenshots MUST be from the print you are selling. I am seeing this more and more. Another one is "Mint condition, sealed from new never used". How the hell do they know there is any colour left?
BTW. I tape stuff all the time, on my digi telly box

Vidar Olavesen and Graham Sinden say Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:33 pm

I even feel unwell when people say they are gonna watch a film ... They mean video. Film for me is on a reel. Movie feels acceptable

I stopped taping many years ago, when my VHS was attached to my TV

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:00 pm

the wife occasionally slips up and uses the word "taping" when describing recording from the Virgin box. Ha haha. I put her straight of course each time, I'm equally met with a stern rolling of the eyes! Lol

Andrew Woodcock

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Ha, ha ... Typical women ... What's the difference they think ... They don't care enough about these things (most of them I should add)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#9 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:33 pm

Being a person who is very conscious of how things are described, I avoid the incorrect usage of terms like 'taping' or 'filming'. I know someone who frequently refers to CDs as 'tapes' (LOL!). I've run across listings on eBay that refer to a reel as a 'roll' (EX: 'the roll is in good condition')! It just reveals the lack of knowledge of the item by the seller. In that respect, the seller possibly would be unaware if the leader or part of the film appears to be missing!

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:34 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Anybody know if Peanuts is available on film?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor