Which one to chose?

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:14 pm

While I'm on, just a couple of topics, number one, how many collectors actually preferred the shorter 200' version to the
longer 400' of the same title? Such as the Ken Films releases.

Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: Which one to chose?

#2 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:26 pm

Thats a good question Hugh, some were better than the 400s,
The high plains drifter 200 footer packed a lot in and was very well done, (obviously i picked on the wrong title here, there was only this then the 2 x 400 footer, oops,) but that said, the 200 ft was a good one.
Have to say, i cant think of any of the Ken 400/200 releases where we had both. But, for universal, they did do some good 200s.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi Tom, yes I have the 200' and 2x400 of High Plains, plus the 16mm 'scope Agfa, one of my favourite Clint westerns. Yes Ken did
various titles in both lengths, Longest day , Patton, although one of the 200's was his speech. Sand Pebbles, even Alien, not to mention Star Wars etc.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:38 pm | Top

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:39 pm

I'd go for the 400' every time ... It manages to tell slighly more story. Gives more sense (usually anyway)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:44 pm

Oh yes Vidar, apart from the guy that can watch "ALIEN", in bloody 'scope no less, oh yes he says, 400s will do for me,
like hell, when he can nail it full length, he mocks us peasants (pheasants), I get confused ) Only kidding my son.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:47 pm | Top

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Ha, ha ... Probably won't happen often that I can afford this. I give you 300 for The Thing ;-) Soon I can't say this, but hopefully I am able to start saving a bit. Would be nice to be able to buy Terminator if it pops up

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:06 pm

Vidar, I'm amazed you let Terminator slip away, ON 35MM, you couldn't get better, even with the little marks, it was 35mm!
I honestly thought you'd have nailed that one, a nice film. Now, where were we on the 400's vs 200s, you little devil you.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:08 pm | Top

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:29 pm

Auction was over before I knew my refinance went through. And I would love a 16mm as it was mono originally anyway

35mm is a huge spacehugger, that is why I need to sell some. Sadly. First film to go is A Moment to Kill, nice western with good colour. Feel sad to let it go. Ordered a DV (PUKE) D of it

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:36 pm

Message sent Vidar.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 pm

I believe, though never witnessed myself, that through a very good friend in this game I am blessed to have met, Jaws 200ft er was superb!.

I've always jokingly argued the toss with him by stating, surely it's no better than an extended trailer on that amount of footage!

He was having none of it! I have never seen it so I cannot form any opinion, but I trust my friends expertise judgement to the point where I am expecting others here that have, to cement his opinion.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 pm | Top

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:05 am

Andrew, I still have my 200' spool, it is a great edit, in such a limited time, it covers the film. Indeed, on a large screen, that shark
coming out of nowhere, in silence, is startling.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:09 am

I wouldn't doubt your or my friends word for a minute here Hugh!!

If you ever see one for sale Hugh, please think of me. I'd love to share his joy in watching this cut down one day.

Andrew Woodcock

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:24 am

No problem Andrew, indeed they were quite common at one time, rest assured if I see a print,I will nail, just for you. I've even given them away, when they were spliced onto other films from Perry's Films.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:27 am

Rare now though Hugh, but thanks for the gesture my friend, most appreciated!

Andrew Woodcock

#15 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:38 am

I used to own the 200' version of "Jaws" and it was one of the best edited 200 footer's ever.I wound up selling my copy and was surprised how much it went for. Generally the Castle / Universal-8 200' versions were better than the Ken Films efforts.They did have some good ones but that blasted narration! Still I've owned many over the years and still have a few in my collection. I actually preferred the 200' edit of "Tora!Tora!Tora!" over the 400' one. Mainly it was due to way too much narration in the 400' print. Disappointing for me since I'm a big fan of the film.

Douglas Warren

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:47 am

Hi Doug, I remember we had this discussion before, but aside from the narration, the 400' is a superb edit, especially the
raid. those planes and propellers being let loose over those airfields was superb. I have had it in my collection twice before,
but will gain it a third time for keeps.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#17 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:50 am

Quite true Hugh and the extended footage of the raid is very good.I watched my 200' copy just last night and was sad to see that my print is fading (but not surprised.) One day I would love to find a copy of the full feature on 16 mm,but can only image the costs involved.

Douglas Warren

#18 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:51 am

This brings up an interesting point: Has anyone ever successfully been able to remove the narration from any Ken or Columbia prints?

Douglas Warren

#19 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:54 am

They don't bother me that much. Am I insane? :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#20 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:05 am

With me Vidar it depends upon how heavy the narration is.I sold off my copy of "The Caine Mutiny" shortly after my first viewing due to the excessive narration. It would run over what the actors were saying to the point where you almost wished it was a subtitled,silent print! Columbia hands down was the worst culprit and sadly it ruined for me what could have been a very good digest.

Douglas Warren

#21 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:24 am

Hmmm ! 200' or 400' version now I guess that depends on how tight the shorter 200' edited version is.
Also does it contain all or some of my favourite scenes.
For example I have owned the Castle Films 200' ABBOTT and COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN for many years now. I bought the U8 400' edit hoping the
"House Of Horrors" waxworks candle moving scene was included in that version. I found it was not and that what footage was added
did very little for me. So I sold the 400' version and stuck with the Castle Films 200 footer.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Good Night at theOscars...........or not?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 3
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor